Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
James (Portsmouth), Green (West Ham), Carson (West Brom);

Brown (Manchester United), Johnson (Portsmouth), Terry (Chelsea), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Lescott (Everton), Upson (West Ham), A Cole (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea);

Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Walcott (Arsenal), Barry (Aston Villa), Jenas (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Downing (Middlesbrough), Wright-Phillips (Manchester City);

Heskey (Wigan), Crouch (Portsmouth), Rooney (Manchester United), Defoe (Portsmouth).

I don't understand the exclusion of Micah Richards and Ashley Young, especially considering poor players such as Matthew Upson and Jermaine Jenas continue being selected.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
No Joe cole:confused:

Is he injured????

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
No Young for me is quite interesting; I would have thought that with Joe injured he'd take the left wing spot. I'm guessing Cap will try and fail with the whole "finding a place for Gerrard in the team". But then again this is Kazakhstan at home so he could probably field 11 midfielders and still win.

Obviously this is Cap, so my prediction might be well off. Perhaps the youth squad need Young and that's the reason he wasnt called up. Owen's absense isnt suprising to me; you don't need a goal poacher with questionable fitness against a team who will defend for most of the match-perhaps getting physical in the process.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Capello's picked the right team...well, maybe except the goalkeepers. Joe Hart must get a callup soon. Do we really trust David James to be the number 1 for the World Cup?

I agree with sticking with Downing and Jenas in the squad. Downing gets a lot of stick and is often made the scapegoat...but, he's a decent left winger squad player for the national team. He's the only left sided midfielder with a left foot we have...and will shoot from range.

Defoe and Crouch are good backups to Rooney and Heskey too. You need a good strike partnership...not individually great strikers that don't click. Owen needs to work on his all around game before Capello calls him back to the NT.

SWP is also good to have if Theo gets injured. Walcott will no doubt become an automatic starter for the national team. He plays much better for England due to his teammates finding him more and giving him the whole right side of the pitch to work with. At Arsenal...we've got him static most of the time with Ade and VP getting in his way.

·
Registered
41,681 Posts
We should beat these two teams with the B-team, technically. So any squad that contains Ferdinand, Terry, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney should do well against them.

I would have taken Young over Downing though. Downing just doesn't do it for me Internationally. Well he has never done it for me, but I do suppose he is the only left footed winger we have. Not that it does much good. Oh, and Upson must be slipping Cappello one, how does he keep getting in? Especially over Richards. Lastly, I can sort of understand why he's leaving Owen out. OK he's scored three or four goals recently, but I don't think he's anywhere near his best. And he has a habbit of getting injured for England so it's a wise move to let him stew, while we beat some minnows, and get his hunger back.

It will be interesting to see how Cappello lines up the midfield. Probably Gerrard, Barry, Lampard, SWP from left to right. But who knows. I just hope we get a good win to keep the confidence up. Oh and Rooney scores at least four over the two games :D

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
No Joe Hart still either...

was this squad released before or after Green's mistake over the weekend?
i think his mistakes in the last game against bolton didn`t change capello`s opinion.

anyway, i predict james who will start this game vs Kazakhstan.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I don't think Capello really looks at mistakes, just if a keeper is mistake prone. If the keeper has displayed good form in previous games then he'll call him up. Which makes it a mystery why he's called up James.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would have taken Young over Downing though. Downing just doesn't do it for me Internationally. Well he has never done it for me, but I do suppose he is the only left footed winger we have. Not that it does much good. Oh, and Upson must be slipping Cappello one, how does he keep getting in? Especially over Richards. Lastly, I can sort of understand why he's leaving Owen out. OK he's scored three or four goals recently, but I don't think he's anywhere near his best. And he has a habbit of getting injured for England so it's a wise move to let him stew, while we beat some minnows, and get his hunger back.
The Matthew Upson ahead of Micah Richards thing confuses the hell out of me. Richard is quite clearly a far superior player, and on top of that, he is versatile too. Maybe Capello sees something that we don't, I haven't got a clue.

And regarding Downing and Young. The only reason I can think of Downing being selected ahead of Young is because the former is the only natural left footer we have in the Premiership. And Capello needs options. Joe Cole and Ashley Young are very similar types.

·
Registered
41,681 Posts
Nearly half time and their keeper hasn't made a save yet. The Borat's are just putting ten men behind the ball, defending like lunatics.

Why do we have to play these shit teams?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Bring on SWP to run at them (take off Gerrard) and replace Brown with Johnson, we should be going all out attack with speed. Should have stuck to the same formation/team as against Croatia.

Boring game, expecting Beckham to come on to make a dynamic partnership with Brown and cross to no one. Our striking bench looks horrid. Is woodgate injured btw?

·
Registered
41,681 Posts
England are rubbish, at home, again.

Can't believe Borat scored, they are shit.

I think Woodgatte was dropped due to Spurs being totally wank.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Woodgate has been their best player though, way better than Upson.

A. Hole, never could defend... or attack for that matter. Massively overrated,

1 - 20 of 47 Posts