Xtratime Community banner

England - Senior Team

70K views 935 replies 110 participants last post by  Ronaldwho? 
#1 ·

This thread is for general chatting about the England senior team. Who is breaking through to the seniors, who is doing well, tactics, the management, the FA etc..

To help start things off, what do you think of England tactics?

A lot of people now associate English football with longball and 4-4-2, when the majority of our history was all about fast all out attack against the opposition. And we won a world cup with 4-3-3 yet somehow this 4-4-2 myth came about as the English way, when thats the system we got destroyed with that was so alien to our all out attack approach. I think Capello has tried to bring that back, we have been scoring for fun for a long time simply because he allowed our players to play football. Sometimes we launch it but its a lot more rare. Now he insists we keep the ball on the ground and pass the ball short and fast which has seen us demolish some teams. I hope we persist with it no matter how we do at the WC and realise we have good players, we can play good football. Rather than past managers and the FA approach of us being the Bolton of international football, hitting above our weight or something. :scared:

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)

World cup year, focus is on that for the moment and we have no games being played! Plus there are like 5 semi-regular posters here now. :)

How about John Terry, should he still be captain? And if not who should be?

I don't think Terry should be stripped of the armband, he is Englands leader and removing the armband won't change that so whats the point. Who cares about his personal life, and players have fights all the time but get on with it on the field. Bridge should be dropped for Baines at the moment anyway. If he was cut though, I'd give it to Lampard or Rooney. They're the only consistent performers for England who have leadership qualities. Both have some bad stuff in their past though, they all do so it is a double standard.

EDIT - lol, didn't see Deano had made a thread about Terry. Please ignore.

#5 ·
What do you think about Adam Johnson?

Not sure how much game time he will get with City but he`s one of the few naturally left footed wingers we have. Been very impressive for Middlesbrough since he broke through. If he does well for City he might sneak a place in the squad (?)

#13 ·
My opinion is out there already but yeah, great little player who could become an awesome playmaker with the ability to score brilliant goals. His pace worries me for the premier league, and might be a bit used to doing things slower. My faith in him, like Sturridge and others has always been due to international level. If you can find space and time as a player at international football, even at youth level then you're likely to make it. It has proven to be the case with the majority of players IMO.

Wrong club, wrong time for me... we'll see how it goes.

I'd take Etherington before Johnson, tbh.
Yeah but you're on crack to be fair. :)

Reports are Terry has been relieved of captain-duties.

--
John Terry has been sacked as England captain this afternoon after a meeting lasting just 12 minutes with England boss Fabio Capello. The Chelsea star has now left Wembley.

It comes after new revelations in today's Mail cast fresh doubt over his fitness to lead the national team. A Daily Mail investigation found his personal box at Wembley being 'touted out' for £4,000 a match.
Terry's contract to rent the luxurious 12-seater facility is subsidised to the tune of tens of thousands a year as one of his 'perks' as national team skipper. Its terms expressly forbid hiring it out.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...down-manager-Fabio-Capello.html#ixzz0eg0XY5kD
Rio as captain.... erm yeah... wrong choice surely. So a bloke getting his end away outside of work is better than a guy who is banned for drug related reasons for months on the job? Great example. Oh and someone who mock kidnaps teammates as a practical joke.

Rio is a shit leader too, plus likely to be very injured... makes no sense. Honestly a suspected durg user and officially banned football player over a cheater. :wth: Oh and not forgetting he literally just got banned for throwing an elbow like a total prick. Pathetic.

Deano - Nice list, decent team... but Brown? Milner? :D

#8 ·
What would be your England squad right now?

Mine:

Green (West Ham)
Hart (Birmingham)
Robinson (Blackburn)

Baines (Everton)
Brown (Man Utd)
A. Cole (Chelsea)
Ferdinand (Man Utd)
Johnson (Liverpool)
Richards (Man City)
Terry (Chelsea)
Upson (West Ham)

Barry (Man City)
Carrick (Man Utd)
J. Cole (Chelsea)
Gerrard (Liverpool)
Lampard (Chelsea)
Lennon (Spurs)
Milner (Villa)
Young (Villa)

C. Cole (West Ham)
Defoe (Spurs)
Rooney (Man Utd)
Sturridge (Chelsea)

#10 ·
Reports are Terry has been relieved of captain-duties.

--
John Terry has been sacked as England captain this afternoon after a meeting lasting just 12 minutes with England boss Fabio Capello. The Chelsea star has now left Wembley.

It comes after new revelations in today's Mail cast fresh doubt over his fitness to lead the national team. A Daily Mail investigation found his personal box at Wembley being 'touted out' for £4,000 a match.
Terry's contract to rent the luxurious 12-seater facility is subsidised to the tune of tens of thousands a year as one of his 'perks' as national team skipper. Its terms expressly forbid hiring it out.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...down-manager-Fabio-Capello.html#ixzz0eg0XY5kD

#15 ·
:(

Couldn't believe this news, saw it in a pub breaking and when Rio was stated as the replacement we burst out laughing. Embarassing really, and the media's part in this is just shocking. Whats to say they won't do it again. Who gives a fvck about who they boinked as long as they pass to each other. Bobby Moore shagged other birds, still one of the greatest defenders and captains to have ever lived. Yeah this is different in a sense, but in other ways it is way less of a moral and playing issue than other things.

#16 ·
Yeah Marc you are right, instead of Brown, I would call Parker actually, you only need 7 defenders sometimes, especially if you have a player like Richards who can play RB or CB... but sometimes you can bring 8 just to make sure and I am unsure who else is there apart from Brown to be honest. He is experienced. However if an extra mid was to be called then definitely Parker, I would call Milner just for his versatility, but either Carrick, Milner or Beckham needs to come out of my squad for Parker as there is no other player with his energy that I have called.

#18 ·
Barry is now an important member of the squad and he is also very versatile player. More so than Carrick, even if as a footballer Carrick is better, you just have to wonder if Carrick can play next to Lampard in midfield considering his offensive skills outweigh his defensive skills. Yes he plays very well for Man U, but England arent asking for his playmaking skills.

#22 · (Edited)
Green

Johnson - Ferdinand - Terry - A.Cole

Lennon/SWP - Lampard - Barry:wallbang: - Gerrard

Rooney - Heskey:yuck:

Only place I think is under threat before the world cup is Heskey but I doubt it, he was first choice when he was a sub for Villa and now he's first choice for them sooo...

#24 ·
Controversial, could you expand upon your point please?

:D

And Carrick played just fine at CB, his defencive side is massively underrated. Way better than Barry who simply can't read the game as well. We need to keep the ball and play it on the ground, thats where we can do damage. Barry is the biggest culprit of losing the ball for England and is out of position quite a lot, his passing just isn't good enough. Much prefer Carrick who is by far the better player

SM - Hopefully Downing won't get in there somewhere, Capello loved him when he was fit. Joe Cole in some form would change things too. And yes, Heskey... *sigh*

VV - Nice one, you going to them all or gonna sell some on? I really wanted to go but have a baby now and the costs involved are ridiculous. Although with the team dynamic destroyed by the press and now a constant target, I can see our morale being poor. Very weak mentally the England team.

#26 ·
I thought it was posted twice, but my point was that I think Bridge will definitely be called by England now after this circus, which is terrible. I hope Capello doesnt give him the sympathy vote and call him. I would call Baines and even Warnock before him right now.

#28 ·
Bridge can get in some form between now and then and deserve his place but you're right that at the moment that isn't the case and Baines should be way ahead.

Cole is apparently out injured for 3 months, so it looks like Bridge may get a starting role with England too. :howler: :palm: Will be... interesting. I wonder if Baines will get in now, should be a cert but he looks like he is following Parker in the never getting picked despite being awesome clique.

Ooooh, new smilies. :righton:

#27 ·
I think he will, by the time the World Cup comes round the furor will have came down and this will all be water under the bridge.

#29 ·
I bet on Capello calling Warnock and Bridge personally. 3 months would mean Cole having little playing time before the World Cup. Tough times for him.

#36 ·
Yep, can't see him picking Baines for whatever reason I will never understand. Bridge dropped against Stoke? All falling apart for us in many ways. Terry's head not in the game, Rio doing rubbish, Johnson injured, Cole injured, Gerrard rubbish, Heskey hasn't suddenly become good yet, J. Cole playing absolute wank and Barry being Barry except worse. Lame.

On MOTD Saturday they said Charles N'Zogbia now eligible for England, i'd take him over every winger England got.
Erm... no? I like him but he isn't better than Milner, Young, Johnson etc. plus that whole not English thing.

Big hole at leftback now, but who will end up bridging the gap?
Baines?

:)

#30 ·
Damn Cole.

Capello will definatly have to start building some bridges now.