Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jansen called up for Paraguay clash

Saturday 13th April 2002

Blackburn Rovers striker Matt Jansen is the one surprise name in Sven-Goran Eriksson's England squad to face Paraguay at Anfield on Wednesday, but Steve McManaman, Andy Cole, Richard Wright, Chris Powell, Darren Anderton and Kevin Phillips have all been left out.

Janesen is one of only three names - along with Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher and Arsenal keeper David Seaman - to be added to the squad which faced Italy last month, suggesting Eriksson is closing in on his final 23.

"Matt Jansen is doing very well at the moment and deserves his chance at international level," Eriksson told the FA's website. "His form last season was good and this season he is playing better than ever."

Martin Keown is another omission, having missed the last two friendlies with a fractured leg, but Carragher has been recalled after being dropped for the game against Holland in February after receiving a domestic suspension for throwing a coin into the crowd against Tottenham.

"Every time I have seen him play recently, I have been impressed with his performances for Liverpool," said Eriksson.

With David Beckham ruled out with a broken bone in his foot, Eriksson will name his stand-in captain on Monday, when he will also attempt to negotiate the number of substitutes to be permitted in the game.

England squad

Goalkeepers: Seaman (Arsenal), Martyn (Leeds), James (West Ham)

Defenders: G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Man Utd), Bridge (Southampton), Mills (Leeds), Carragher (Liverpool), Southgate (Middlesbrough), Campbell (Arsenal), Ehiogu (Middlesbrough)

MidfieldersScholes (Man Utd), Gerrard (Liverpool), Butt (Man Utd), J Cole (West Ham), Sinclair (West Ham), Lampard (Chelsea), Dyer (Newcastle), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Murphy (Liverpool)

Forwards:Owen (Liverpool), Fowler (Leeds), Sheringham (Tottenham), Vassell (Aston Villa), Jansen (Blackburn)

onefootball

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi Carson... everyone :)

Well I was a bit surprised with the selection of Jansen.. not that he's not a good player.. I think he's very good.. but the timing.. you have the world cup in what.. 6 weeks.. and Sven is still trying out players.. if I was him.. I'd start picking my first team and playing them 70% of the game.. and actually not go for multiple substitutions.. let the players start get the feeling this is a football game instead of a training session..

My team (starting 11) would be:

Seaman (Sven needs to check on what old Dave can do after being out for so long)

G. Neville (although I'd want Mills or Carragher.. but we all know Neville will be the starter)

Ehiogu (has played well for the NT.. it's either him or Southgate)

Campbell

Bridge (could actually nick that Left Back position if Ashley Cole doesn't make it back)

Dyer (He's been playing SUPERBLY.. and with Beckham out.. it's a chance for him to become the playmaker of the team)

Gerrard (proved yesterday that he's returning to his best form)

Scholes

Joe Cole (The lad has bags of skill.. and is a natural at the left position)

Owen & Fowler (who else :))

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
i rate Bridge higher than A Cole right now. Hopfully Dyer can go in the left and not the right since we need someone decent in the left and we have bags of players who can fill in the right spot.

i don't expect anything special. I predict 2-1 to England in this game.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I don't think it would be that easy for England, since Paraguay is a good defensive team plus they are coached by Cesare Maldini who knows a thing or two about defensive play.
I predict it's gonna be a draw.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Is Eriksson gonna rule out John Terry? Oh what a pity! He plays much more solid than Rio, Southgate, and Ehiogu.

I like him very much. He learnt all the skills from Desailly.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Well it seems Eriksson is having a very bad time.. yesterday's FA Cup Semi betweem Boro and Arsenal saw two of his rather starting defenders stretchered off.. Sol Campbell and Ugo Ehiogu!! From what I've read.. he's called up Martin Keown..

As for John Terry.. well if you ask me.. footballwise.. he deserves to be in the squad.. but his very bad record off the pitch is what's hurting him !!

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Keown? Thats a joke, I'd rather see Southgate than him. Is Rio available for selection ?

Looks like we have lost our defensive solidity with Campbell out hes almost world class. I really think Terry-Southgate should be the central defenders in the first half.

Is A Cole back too ? Or won't Sven risk him ?

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
John Terry won't be picked until after his court case. Shame, he's a great player, alot better than Southgate or Keown, and a lot younger. His time will come, no doubt.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi Russell,

Well Keown was called up.. but Southgate is already in the side and I think he'd gonna start..

But why do you think Southgate is better?? I mean.. Keown is good at man marking.. although his disciplinary results haven't been good at all this year!! But over all.. he's a solid CB.. I'd say the same about southgate except he's not a man marker in the sense that Keown is.. and lacks a bit in physical prescence..

This way or the other.. the 2 CB's in the Paraguay game should just try to impress as much as they can.. so that they can try and secure a place on the subs bench.. as we all know it's gonna be Campbell and Ferdinand back there in the WC (unless injury says otherwise.. which would be a shame)...

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
From BBCSport

Tuesday, 16 April, 2002, 12:29 GMT 13:29 UK
Are friendlies a waste of time?

By BBC Sport Online's Tom Fordyce

England's new captain Michael Owen might disagree, but the clash with Paraguay is in danger of being treated with indifference.

Of Sven-Goran Eriksson's likely starters against Sweden on 2 June, David Beckham, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell and Emile Heskey are all missing.

The point of going to the trouble of organising this game slap-bam in the middle of the title and relegation battles was to give England a taste of what they might expect from Argentina in Sapporo.

With the core of the side out injured, the value of the lesson becomes questionable.

In addition, students of world football might find the comparison between Paraguay and Argentina simplistic to say the least.

The Football Association are not the only ones obsessed with stylistic stereotypes - witness Nigeria's date with Scotland and Argentina's own fixture with Wales.

But herding nations together simply because they hail from the same part of the world seems to ignore the realities of football in the 21st century.

We are in an era when many players either play with other nationalities in club football or frequently come up against them in the Champions League and Uefa Cup.

Managers, coaching ideas and tactics move between countries as easily and as often as players.

One wonders if Argentine coach Marcelo Bielsa genuinely looked at the way his midfield coped with Robbie Savage and Mark Pembridge and thought he could apply those lessons to Beckham and Paul Scholes.

Given chances

There is the argument that friendlies allow coaches to blood fringe players and youngsters too unproven to risk in a qualifier or tournament game proper.

Darius Vassell and Wayne Bridge were given chances against Holland and Italy that would not have come their way against Greece or Germany.

Bridge is certain to go to South Korea, with Vassell in with a better than even chance.

But what have they proved in their England performances so far?

The torpid nature of the last two friendlies rendered them less challenging than the average Premiership match.

Bridge would face a greater test of his defensive skills against Freddie Ljungberg or Keiron Dyer than a Paraguay team weakened by injury and withdrawals.

Vassell looked lively against Holland, certainly compared to the over-exposed Michael Ricketts.

But while his goal was wonderfully taken, is he worthy of a place in Eriksson's final 23 when Peter Crouch is keeping him out of the Aston Villa team?

If Matt Jansen gets a second-half chance against Paraguay, and plays well, will he deserve to go to the World Cup?

Star performers risked

From next season, England training get-togethers will replace international friendlies.

The Fergusons, Wengers and Houlliers do not want their precious star performers risked in games that mean little to their country and even less to their clubs.

The FA will suffer financially. Even a friendly can raise up to £4m in revenues (tickets for the Paraguay game cost an average of £32 each).

There will also be fewer games for England fans to watch, fewer to take round the country and make the national side exactly that.

But wait and see what the interest levels will be like for a Paraguay game featuring a line-up of understudies and hopefuls and numerous substitutions.

Will we be mesmerised on Wednesday night? It's a nice thought, just rather an unlikely one.
---
paw;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Owen to be a captain???

International Preview: England V Paraguay
England - Paraguay | News Archive

Owen to captain England at Anfield (Allsport)
04/16/2002. AT STAKE

England face Paraguay in their last friendly before Sven Goran Eriksson has to name his World Cup squad. This means it is the last chance for players to book their place on the plane to Japan and South Korea. It also presents England with a chance to face South American opposition ahead of their World Cup showdown with Argentina.

Paraguay's coach is former Italy boss Cesare Maldini so I am sure he will have learnt plenty from England's recent friendly with the Azzurri. Paraguay's players will also be out to impress Maldini in their last friendly before he names his World Cup squad. The South American's are in the same group as Spain and Slovenia so will be hoping England are representative of European opposition, especially as they have not faced any for a year.

TEAM FORM

England's last six matches: WWDDDL

After England demolished Germany in Munich and beat Albania four days later last September they have failed to win any of their next four matches. The famous last minute free-kick by David Beckham fought a draw against Greece in their last competitive fixture. Friendlies against Sweden and Holland ended 1-1 and last months match with Italy at Elland Road was all set to finish 1-1 as well until Vincenzo Montella converted a stoppage time penalty.

Paraguay's last six matches: WDLLDD

Paraguay earned a highly commendable draw against Argentina last October, but their last two World Cup qualifiers saw them lose 3-1 to Venezuela and 4-0 at home to Colombia. Last month Nigeria were held to a 1-1 draw and I am sure Eriksson will be interested in trading notes with Maldini about the Super Eagles as England face them in the World Cup. Previous to that Paraguay drew 2-2 with Bolivia.

TEAM NEWS

Once again Eriksson's preparations have been blighted by injuries meaning he is still unable to play his first choice XI. Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell, Rio Ferdinand, David Beckham and Emile Heskey are all probably starters for England in the World Cup, but they have all been forced to miss this friendly through injury. Injuries have forced Martin Keown into the squad and he could start alongside Gareth Southgate in the centre of defence. Kieron Dyer is a strong bet to start on the right hand side of midfield so Trevor Sinclair will fill the left wing position. Although, Matt Jansen is a candidate after Eriksson pointed out that he is interested in trying the Blackburn star in that position. Darius Vassell could be handed another chance to shine upfront alongside the skipper for the day Michael Owen.

Paraguay are without their eccentric goalscoring goalkeeper Jose Luis Chilavert through injury. The star of Paraguay's national team picked up a shoulder injury while playing for Strasbourg on Saturday and Olimpia's Ricardo Tavarelli will take his place.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

England:

Matt Jansen: The Blackburn striker is probably the biggest surprise in this squad and he is also a long way from actually going to the World Cup so it is essential that he makes an impact if given the chance against Paraguay. Kieron Dyer: The Newcastle star is finally set to feature in an England match under Eriksson after countless disappointments with injuries. Dyer is set to play a massive role in England's World Cup bid and is also keen to thank the Swede for standing by him through injury after injury.

Paraguay:

Roque Santa Cruz: The Bayern Munich striker is one of the stars of Paraguay's team and you can guarantee he will give England's injury hit defence a difficult evening. Paraguay are very strong in defence, as they showed in the 1998 World Cup, and Celso Ayala is capable of keeping hold of Owen.

POSSIBLE STARTING XI'S

England: Seaman; G Neville, Southgate, Keown, Bridge; Dyer, Gerard, Scholes, Sinclair; Owen, Vassell.

Paraguay: From: Goalkeepers: Tavarelli, Villar. Defenders: Arce, Sarabia, Ayala, Gamarra, Caniza, Caceres, Sanabria. Midfielders: Acuna, Paredes, Gavilan, Quintana, Struway, Bonet, Morinigo, Campos. Forwards: Cardozo, Cruz, Baez, Caballero.

SA PREDICTION

It is almost a pointless exercise to predict the outcome of friendlies especially when up to eleven changes are made to each side during the match. There is no doubt England will want to win their last match on home turf before they jet off to Asia and even more so after they were beaten by Italy in their last friendly. Without much confidence I will predict England to win 2-0.

soccerage

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Isnt the idea of these pre-Wc warm up game's supposed to teach them how to play against certain opponents?, how will this lesson be learnt if the core of the team isnt here?!?! Honestly this friendly is a waste of time , Sven knows who he's taking to Japan. I know we cant play our full side because of obvious reasons but i was hoping to see the 'true' England side take on these South Americans.. oh well, should be interesting to see how Vassell does with Owen upfront again.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Good Luck to England 2-0 Yeah go Capt Owen

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
1-0 England have looked alot sharper and in all fairness it should be 2-0 Owen should of got his second attempt in...there was also a blatant Hand ball by the paraguin[sp?] defender we should of had a penatly :|

11 Subs to come on so i hear, the game will get messy now and we may loose our lead because of it:depress:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good result... considering half of the English team did not play.... who said motivation is not a key ingredient to playing well...

Kudos to the English....

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Considering that 3 out of the 4 goals were the result of paraguyan defence messing up suggest that England fans shouldnt get their hopes too high.;)

It was a good result for England but frankly,it was expected.Paraguay's defence lacks pace while England has one of the quickest duo leading the lines up front.It was exploied pretty well by SGE's men and this will provide a nice confidence booster before the competition.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Paraguay suks

Colombia beat Paraguay 4-0 in Paraguay, while argentina beat Colombia 3-1 in Colombia and 3-0in Argentina. This result is good for moral for England because it will help you cope with Beckham not being there and it shows that England can make it without him if they mentalize themselves to do it.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Its nice to see us score some goals, but in fairness, it doesn't really excite me...its just a friendly, and very likely Paraguay will be trying out some new combinations as well. But as has been said, its a good moral buster, although I'm sorry for Jansen. I think he has quality, and would like to see him in there.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

Well it was a good win.. although it doesn't really matter that much.. but I'd like to pinpoint Joe Cole as my star player.. I think he's starting to prove he's worth the WC squad spot and maybe even the left midfield starting spot..

Nicky Butt... simply.. why??!! He's only playing as a starter for Man U these days cuz Keane is out (and Beckham too).. so how can he start for England?? wasn't McManaman removed cuz he didn't get 1st team action all the time??

Vassell.. was VERY impressive :)

Sinclair.. Tried a lot.. but I think he got to the point where he was overtrying....

I liked the fact that SGE juggled with the players positions.. actually checking the versitality of G. Neville, Carragher and Mills.. Danny Murphy played well (solid.. nothing very special).. and Fowler's return to Anfield saw him give in another good performance... But Paraguay seemed out of ideas which didn't help the game..

Russell.. Argentian beat Germany last night (1-0 Sorin scored).. and I was watching both games.. the least I can say is that with half the Argentinian team injured.. the look more dangerous than France!! They owned the Germans all through the match...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts