Xtratime Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly news about the Portuguese national team, however I just heard on RDP that England will be banned by UEFA from the rest of the EURO 2000 if the rioting and fighting by those well cultured lads from England do not stop.

What a loss that would be?!?! Hey maybe those same thugs can come over to ALbufeira and such and start cracking heads there while they collect welfare :(

Final warning for English after violence
Sunday 18th June 2000

Uefa have warned England could be thrown out of Euro 2000 if fans cause any more trouble in the tournament.

European football's government body held an emergency meeting of executive members in the Belgian city of Liege on Sunday evening in the wake of trouble in Brussels and Charleroi surrounding England's victory over Germany.

Addressing a press conference after the emergency meeting, Uefa chief executive Gerhard Aigner said: "Uefa will have to determine whether the presence of the English team in the tournament should be maintained should there be a repetition of similar incidents."

Hundreds of English fans were arrested in clashes with riot police in Charleroi and Brussels before and after England's 1-0 win over Germany. Most of them have been expelled.

Uefa president Lennart Johansson described the English hooligans as "a disgrace" and said the British government had not done enough to prevent them from travelling to the tournament.

Director of Euro 2000 Alain Courtois has also blamed the British government.

"I will make three simple statements. The first is that the British government did nothing of which they promised to do. This is a huge shortcoming," Courtois said.

"When I see what the German government and Football Federation did in comparison, it's extraordinary.

"Whereas on the other side (Britain), nothing was done or executed. It is not right that 14 extremely dangerous hooligans were able to enter Belgium.

"I would also like to point out certain parties wanted the incidents to take place so they would get into the media. There were cameras situated specifically in Charleroi to film the violence," added Courtois.

"Finally, what the Belgian authorities have done is what they said they would do. By that I mean stopping potential troublemakers at the borders - 500 people stopped, that was a good indication," he added.

"How these people can leave an island, we are talking about an island here, we are not talking about somewhere else, without being intercepted. Obviously there has to have been a very lax attitude from the British government.

"They said they had made plans and forged a layout to prevent this. Well if this is their plan, bravo," concluded Courtois.

[Edited by Ola on 18-06-2000 at 21:56]

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
One can only hope this isn't just only the usual cheap **** talk we get from uefa when this happens. It was the same in wc 98.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That would leave Portugal on 3 points and Germany and Romania on 1 each (if all points against England wont count or all 3 teasm maybe get 3 points each. ). Therefore Germany can still win the group in those circumstances , leaving Portugal to play Italy in the quarters. Not an ideal scaenrio. So England being booted may not be that great for Portugal.

·
International
5,629 Posts
England should not be gone from the tournament...the players have nothing to do with their moronic fans! Send the fans home, jail them, ship them out to Greenland or something, but keep England in the tournament if they are lucky enough to advance. I want to see them know the Italians out!

ERMELO, Netherlands, June 19 (Reuters) - Portugal's coach Humberto Coelho said on Monday he hoped England would be allowed to stay in Euro 2000, but said England fans should be sent home to avoid a repeat of the weekend's violence.

``There is one solution - send the supporters home and let the team stay,'' coach Humberto Coelho told a news conference.

``I'm very sorry for the players, for the coach, for the officials - all the people who have put a lot of work into this tournament.''

UEFA has threatened to kick England out of the tournament unless their fans start behaving themselves.

``I hope they won't be sent home. It's not good for the tournament and it's not good for football,'' said defender Fernando Couto.

``It's not good for anyone, bearing in mind Euro 2004 will be in Portugal.''

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
O.k Ive just watched a BBC undercover documenary on the violence over the last wekk in Euro 2000 by the English called England’s shame. Since watching this I have changed my mind on the violence. I do by no means condone violence but if needed and only if needed I would use self defence.
For starters Im no admirer of England, and used to think that the violence was always the English’s fault, but Im starting to see I was wrong and I think the world’s media are being misguided on the violence. I mean have you ever realised that it’s always the same footage being shown, dont they have any other footage to show?
Another thing how the hell can the mayor of Brussels claim that the rioting of the turks after the win over Belgium is the English’s fault because they cause a chain reaction. What a load of bollocks, I mean their adults they know the difference between rioting and not rioting, stabing and not stabing.
Another thing one of Englands songs “ Id rather be a Paki than a Turk”. This song was apparently considered terribly racist and wrong. I mean if I said “I’d rather be French than Spanish, would I be being racist, no I don’t think so!
Now to the matter of the violence, I do agree that the behaviour of the minority of the English fans was disgusting but only the minority, 99.9 % of fans are there to enjoy a game of football and enjoy the carnival atmosphere. Some of the English insulting and assulting the French and those of African origin was totally out of order, and these are the hooligans but is only a minor minority. Also can’t this minority get along with other supporters, I mean it is only 3 weeks or a week and a half in England’s case. The dutch, in my opinion the best supporters of the tournament so far were insulted by the minority of English fans by singing that if it wasn’t for england they’d all be crouts (germans), surely the war should be forgotten when it comes to football and surely the dutch dont diserve such insults. Another song “No surrender to the IRA”. Im sure that the majority of these hooligans don’t know what the IRA is and even if they do what the **** has it got to do with England.
O.k now to my opinion the worst cause of the violence in Chaleroi, the belgian police. What an absolute ****ing disgrce. One scene that really got to me was 200 inocent English fans drinking in a bar and just because they were English the Belgian police threw tear gas in the bar and arrested 200 or so inocent fans. The only crime they had seemed to have comitted according to the Belgian seemed to be that they were English. The Belgian police seemed to be one of the main instigators of the violence and not the English. Only 5 arrests resulted from the laid back approach in Eindhoven and violence was minimal, but as soon as the police start waving their battons for the slightest reason as shown in Chaleroi, violence will erupt.
O.k so the English are by no means saints, but it is only a small and only a very small minority that go for violence and surely the police cant go kicking the **** out of evryone and anyone that is English.
Oh and what are Uefa threatining to do about this, well throw out the English, well what is this going to achieve. Absolutely nothing because most of the hooligans dont give a **** about the football and only go for the violence and to create havoc. So whether they banned the English or not the probabilty is that the hooliganism would continue. But if UEFA are going to ban England surely they have to ban Trkey as well, I mean Galatasary fans did kill 2 Leeds fans and escaped with no punishment, Galatasary went on the rampage causing havoc just like the Englis. Double standards yes without a doubt.
So for a cure of this minroity of fans, well unfortuanetly, you can stop as many suspected hooligans you want with passports, but the fact is that some of them will filter through, also a new crop of unsuspected hooligans will always be emerging, until tougher sentences are handed out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, I strongly disagree with with what you said.
Lets not forget that a big difference between the Turks and the Brits is that the Brits have a long history of going abroad and causing crap. True, Turkish football fans can be animals, but there isn't a history of them going overseas and causing property damage, deaths and national shame. As for your belief that this crap is caused by a minority, well too bloody bad. The fact remains that when England plays overseas this tiny minority tends to leave the island called Britain and cause shi_ all over Europe. If the British government can't get their shi_ together and keep these animals at home then too bloody bad. Unfortunately, there's only one solution and that's to ban them or punish them by not giving them WC that they are bidding for.
What's the big deal anyway if we ban them? English football is boring and their national side is highly overrated. If they get banned in the future nobody as far as I am concerned will miss them.

It's simple! If the national side is banned there's no football. If there's no football then there are no pieces of WHITE RACIST TRASH going throughout Europe following the national side taunting minorities (Turks and Africans)and causing shi_. If there is no Shi_ hitting the fan then all is all right! England has one too many times given football a black eye and it simply has to stop (period)

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Again same bulls***!!! you always have to say something about the turks. The riot in belgium had nothing to do with the turks. They didnt start it, but there was minor involvement. Lets also not forget that there are Kurds in europe who want Turkey blamed for everything so they can involved and have turkish pasport.

There wiull be no solkution talking aboout Turks. Did u hear what belgium police said in a news confereence?

"Turks go to there to celebrate but brits have other intentions. Most only drink and afterwards cause trouble..."
Turks just wanna enjoy it, leave them alone. All i can sa is many peoplke just cant take the fact that Turks are growing at a rapid rate in football.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Some points :
1 : SLB, I am going to Brussels this weekend for the quarter final. Having seen that BBC doc myself I must ask you a question. If you were me would you rather English or Romanian fans in Brussels this weekend? We (Irish) can have O'Riellys back and can party again. (notice the irony of English yobs singing no surrender to the IRA ... in an Irish bar. Put those hooligans in a room with the IRA and let see how hard they are!)

2 : This notion of it only being a small minority has always annoyed me. I've seen these animals in action in Euro88 , Lansdowne Road (when they got a game abandoned) and France98 and it is NOT a minority. 850 arrests is not a small mnority. Add on those who got away with it and escaped arrest and you probably have a majority. The English media and FA have always harped on about it being a minority to somehow justify inaction. Now , finally they must face the facts (and I think they finally are accepting they have a HUGE problem)

3. The Turks did riot. Lets not have denial here. They are developing the English disease.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I am in no way saying that the english are saints and yes i would prefer to be going when the english are out but my point is that a big factor in this years violence was because of the police as shown in the bar incident.
As for turkey shouldnt be banned because they dont have a history, what the hell has that got to do with anything violence is violence and although i dont think banning the teams would have any influence on the violence if england are banned so should turkey.
The hardocre that cause the violence is a very small minority and then there is the other 4 or 5% of fans who get involved when the violence is started. As for the 850 arrests, why was this? in my opinion because of the police being heavy handed the rampage the turks went on was as bad as the english rampage but less arrests because of double standards as shown in who is blamed as shown the way they are treated.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I saw the Panorama programme as well and I think it's just a minority of thugs doing this for fun. Britain has always had this problem and it won't go away. We are a racist country - I know its only a few who actually admit it but generally you can see that people tend not too like Asians, not neceseraly cos of their race but their culture in general.

But racist attacks are still a problem, but thhen at football grounds in the Uk it's not a problemm anymore.

I remember in Faro when Porto played Farense and the locals were making monkey sounds when ever Mario Jardel got the ball. This is disgraceful and it has happened in many away game s that Porto have played. And ironically, their team have just as many black players.

But the Portuguese seem to be about 10 years behind the rest of Europe in some aspects.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts