Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Orlando Engelaar denkt aan naturalisatie

22/2/2005 9 :07

Hij acht zijn kansen op Oranje klein en heeft het naar zijn zin in België. Rotterdammer Orlando Engelaar voelt wel wat voor een carrière als Rode Duivel.
Engelaar (25) maakte in 2004 de overstap van NAC Breda naar het Belgische RC Genk. De Rotterdammer doet het zo goed dat zijn voorzitter Jos Vaessen al zinspeelde op een naturalisatie en debuut voor België.

De opmerking van de preses deed Engelaar aanvankelijk nog niet veel, maar het heeft hem toch wat meer aan het denken gezet. De Rotterdammer laat in Het Laatste Nieuws weten dat een naturalisatie wat hem betreft allesbehalve een onzinnige suggestie is. 'Het zou schitterend zijn mocht ik Rode Duivel kunnen worden. Als iemand van de voetbalbond naar mij zou komen, zal ik er zeker over nadenken.'

'Ik verwacht niet dat ik meteen kans maak om geselecteerd te worden voor het Nederlandse elftal. Waarom zou ik het dan niet overwegen Belg te worden? Ik voel me prima hier, en ik ga zeker niet slechter worden van een mogelijke Belgische nationaliteit', zei Engelaar. De aanvallende middenvelder zelf zal niet de eerste contacten leggen met de Belgische bond.

Hoewel het Belgische voetbal international de laatste tijd weinig potten heeft kunnen breken ziet Engelaar kansen. 'België heeft veel meer potentieel dan de internationale resultaten van de laatste maanden laten vermoeden.'


No big miss for Oranje but thinking of naturalizing after only 1 season. That's taking it a bit far isn't it :eek:

and are Belgium really that desperate?? surely not. Ok he's not a terrible player, actually a pretyt handy plaer in both our leagues but guys like Baseggio, Vermant etc aren't worse imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
You beat me to it Wally, wanted to post it when I just realised there already was a thread about. :)

Baseggio has been completely useless the past 3 years and Vermant doesn't want to be called up anymore because he couldn't get a starting place in the line-up.

Like I said before; he would be most welcome in our team. He's a great player and we could use a big lad up front next to Sonck or Buffel who isn't a complete techinical nitwit like some other players we had before -> Peeters, Roussel...

He's right, most people look a bit down on us since the results of the team have been, let us say, 'not very good'. But our team has much more potential and talent than it's showing at the moment. We'll be back. :strong:

Besides I dont mind having a dutchman play for our NT. With the exception of a few cultural differences we're quite the same. :tongue: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kampfschwein said:
Besides I dont mind having a dutchman play for our NT. With the exception of a few cultural differences we're quite the same. :tongue: ;)
yeah, it'll soon be stampot and boerenkool on the menu for all the rode duivels :pp

Didn't realize Vermant was so, as I thought he seems like a fighter type of player looking at him play for Schalke and you wouldn't imagine him having such a van Persie attitude.

As for Peeters and Roussel :mute: fancy Martin Drent? :pp
is Pieroni just as bad as them too btw? he hasn't been really given a chance for the NT or not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Belgium should start using Huysegems. IMO the guy has the same potential as Arjen Robben.

Besides, I know that Belgium has a long history of foreigners in their NT, but wouldn't the Walen be upset if a Dutchman would join their side?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,421 Posts
I think the Vlamingen would be more upset even, because I think they have more hatred towards the 'Ollanders' than the Wallon people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,835 Posts
Huysegems the same potential as Robben? Don't think so. He might be one of the better players the Belgian have at the moment, but even in a good running AZ he doesn't impress that much yet.

If Engelaar had adapted as much in Belgium as Erik Meijer in Germany he might have a good chance though to be accepted by the Belgians.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40,672 Posts
Agree with Chivu on Huysegems. He's a great player and you Belgians should indeed start him + Buffel. And not the Mpenza's, Peeters' and alike.

Anyway I think international football is becoming a joke. This is like signing players, who in turn don't even have to feel something towards their adopted country, but are only doing it to get recognized internationally. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
MutOofd said:
Engelaar (as well as Mitu) can sod off...
On the other hand, do u need Babel :greed:

No really, this is utter bullshit, a player plays for the country he was born in. End.
Why do you always have to be so bitter? :confused: ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
Kampfschwein said:
Why do you always have to be so bitter? :confused: ;)

I'm not bitter :cool: but what's the point of having NT's then? The main difference between a club and an NT is the fact that an NT is bonded through nationality.I'd rather have Belgium suck ass(like they do now:rolleyes: ) instead of importing some players from other countries...
(In Belgium we're champions in this: we refuse to let Lozano become Belgian although he lived here for over 20 yrs, while on the otherhand, strupar and weber become belgians like that)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
Kinda amusing how all these players who'll never get to play for their REAL national teams, try and go for the Belgian one. Wamberto, Engelaar, there must have been a few others too.
Belgium usually is a sure-shot to be at the World Cup though. They haven't missed one since 1982 I believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,421 Posts
Drulo said:
Anyway I think international football is becoming a joke. This is like signing players, who in turn don't even have to feel something towards their adopted country, but are only doing it to get recognized internationally. :rolleyes:
Agree completely. Guys like Olisadebe are a joke. Same goes for Salomon Kalou if he is going to play for Oranje, but I think that has bee discussed before and everybody knows my stance on this one. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,919 Posts
I dont agree 100% because the situation in his (Kalou's) home country is not stabile to say the least. His own brother was more or less held hostage in an army camp and was forced to activities we're not allowed to know about! :eek:

He's lived here for some time now and thinks of naturalization, I dont have a lot against it. I mean you cant refuse refugees either (Collins John) and I wouldn't want to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I think you're a national if you spend the majority of your life in that country. Clarence Seedorf is Surinamer but who would question his credentials as an Oranje.

Also, wasn't Sherijl Mac Donald a Belgian-Dutch convert?

We have this guy called Tim Cahill who wasn't allowed to play for Australia until last year because he appeared for a Soloman Islands team when he was 15. His mum is an Islander I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,919 Posts
stefan_jonas said:
. Clarence Seedorf is Surinamer but who would question his credentials as an Oranje.

:wth: Well I would, please for the love of God anything to get him out :D ;)


(btw you dont say 'An Oranje')
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
monte said:
I dont agree 100% because the situation in his (Kalou's) home country is not stabile to say the least. His own brother was more or less held hostage in an army camp and was forced to activities we're not allowed to know about! :eek:

He's lived here for some time now and thinks of naturalization, I dont have a lot against it. I mean you cant refuse refugees either (Collins John) and I wouldn't want to.
Kalou is not a refugee by far. Football shouldn't be a reason to give someone a passport.

stefan_jonas said:
I think you're a national if you spend the majority of your life in that country. Clarence Seedorf is Surinamer but who would question his credentials as an Oranje.
No, you're a national when you're passport says so. Surinamers got a Dutch passport because Suriname used to be part of the Netherlands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,919 Posts
BigRon said:
Kalou is not a refugee by far. Football shouldn't be a reason to give someone a passport.
:wallbang: I am not saying Kalou is a refugee. I do think however that he has a reason not to play for his home country ivory coast especially after some experiences of his bro, and he's lived in NL for quite some time. I agree with your last sentence. Nor should marriage to willem alexander but hey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,672 Posts
BTW the news that started this thread is "ne kwakkel". His coach Vandereyken said so on TV last night. Probably a journalist that didn't have any news and interpreted a quote of Engelaar in an 'original' way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
monte said:
:wallbang: I am not saying Kalou is a refugee.
I never said you did.
monte said:
I do think however that he has a reason not to play for his home country ivory coast especially after some experiences of his bro, and he's lived in NL for quite some time.
Having a reason not to play for your own country is no reason to "find" another country to play for.
monte said:
I agree with your last sentence. Nor should marriage to willem alexander but hey.
Pretty blonds are always welcome :D
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top