Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
47,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently watched the first season of this Netflix show and it was quite brilliant. Basically something like Bonnie and Clyde meets Freaks and Geeks.

It's a British show about two teenage runaways. Very peculiar humor and lots of voice-overs about what the characters are really thinking. The male character is some psycho autistic spectrum disorder guy with no feelings (or so he claims) but starts to discover himself episode by episode. The girl character is just amazing. In fact pretty much all the characters in this show are excellent, they all have weird and totally realistic quirks (ok, there's one guy who isn't particularly realistic I guess but he is sort of needed for a new story arch).

Second season came out yesterday. 8 episodes per season and they are only 20 minutes long so it's basically like a long movie.

9.5/10

·
Administrator
29,339 Posts
It could easily be a movie that would be popular in the indie/alternative festivals. Odd it gets hidden inside Netflix. The Comic book is ok too.

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
Started watching the second seasons.

I liked the first, though I don’t completely understand why people love it so much.

·
Registered
42,461 Posts
Seen the first three episodes. Episode three is absolutely incredible IMO. All three eps are great saying that.

I really like shows with lots of voice overs like this. Do British shows do it more than others? Just thinking of this and another fave of mine, Peep Show.

·
Registered
43,153 Posts
I watched the first 2 episodes. I'm not really invested yet but it isn't bad at all...and looks to be getting promising. And no, not because of THAT scene in Ep 2. :nono:

There's this new sort of "quirkiness" the series goes after in terms of dialogue and presentation. I don't have the time to articulate it but you see it in Wes Anderson movies, Zombieland, etc. Feel me? I don't mind it at all...I'm just not as taken up by it as I might have been some years back, when it was less common.

·
Registered
42,461 Posts
Finished the first season. Cheers for the recommendation Andy. I really like how they've shot each episode; the scenes have a really special atmosphere about them.
For example some of the scenes at the beach while they're staying with Alyssa's father.

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
Second season getting better too as it goes on.

There’s one character who’s just much better than the rest, better text and acting IMO. Won’t say much more until others have seen season 2.

It’s really enjoyable, but I still would not put it among my favorites. My brother absolutely loved it as well.

·
Registered
42,461 Posts
Do you prefer season two over the first? I Don't expect I will as I thought the first was amazing.

Have you seen Sex Education on Netflix? That's another British series that I loved earlier this year. Netflix are killing it.

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
Oh no, season 1 was better I think. I meant the second one started a bit slow.

But both are good.

Really enjoyed Sexeducation. I actually think I liked that one more.

These threads make me realize I watch way too much TV.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm 3 episodes into Season 2 and I have to say they've done well. They've kept alive the spirit of S1 while approaching it from a new angle (esp. Episode 1 which was really surprising).

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
I liked bodyguard and on a similar vibe The Fall, also with Gyllian Anderson.

Also liked the German ones (Babylon Berlin, Dog of Verlin less good but has a football plot)

·
1st Tier Poster
47,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What other Netflix shows have you enjoyed?

Bodyguard is really good. Haven't heard much praise for that. Seems underrated. The main actor is great.
Maniac was awesome. 10-episode miniseries taking place in a slightly alternate world, centering on a supercomputer which they use to treat people's traumas by creating them a fantasy reality.

It had quite a strong Japanese angle too BTW.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts