Who's been our best player this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so time for a collective round up of the last 9 or so months, and our thoughts on keeping la liga at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Best Player
Personally, i think Casillas has been our best player this season. he's won us games all on his own. hes also been the most consistent performer of the team. though it isnt so clearcut as so many others really pulled their weight when it counter.

Best Transfer
For me it has to be Pepe. sure he was injured for a while, but he looks class. unlike the other transfers he has no question marks over his head, hes going to be our CB for many years to come.

Best young player
None other than Sergio Ramos. There's nothing this man cant do. I have a wish that one day he'll play as a striker and score a hat trick.

Best game
Even though we'd won the league El Classico at home was the best. That was our most flawless game all season. although the games against Valencia away and Villareal are a close second. however in those games the opposition actually had shots on goal.

Best Goal
I'm not sure. The goals we've scored this season have been brilliant though in terms of team involvement. all intricate one touch passes, and that killer through ball with a neat finish.

Best assist
All of Guti's assists.

Most Disappointing Player
Cannavaro. He had glimpses of his former Juve self, but he really has looked atrocious on so many occasions. and in that sense hes disappointed because i genuinely thought we'd see a good player all season.

Most Disappointing Transfer
Saviola. Holy fvcking shit. i dont care about that random goal he scored, he's rubbish. because of him Higuain and Soldado played less minutes. FUERA!

Worst Player of the Season
Salgado. He's gooooooooooooone. it's been a great however many years, but his time is up. he didnt have one good game from recollection.

Worst Loss
Losing to Getafe at home i thought we're going to throw the title away. outplayed for the whole 90 minutes.

If you want to make it one word answers or just a few paragraphs it doesnt matter, lets get some views on how the season went.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Best Player
Pepe is getting a lot of credit (rightly so) for playing 1/4 of the season, so I see no reason why I shouldn't go for Robinho here. We were breaking records before his injury and the guy was basically a guarantee for an assist or a goal per match for a good four-month stretch. It was a huge shame to lose him a week before the Roma game, and after that he was rushed back which was detrimental for his form. A lot of people have somewhat forgot about Robson, but let's remember that Barca reduced our gap from nine points to two points in his absence - then his first game back his two goals off the bench at Recreativo restored our advantage to five points. ;)

Honorable mention to Iker Casillas.

Best Transfer
The Grinch of Camp Nou. The most complete central defender in Europe, IMO.

Best young player
Sergio Ramos. Basically, we have Sergio Ramos and you don't.

Best game
Defeating the enemy 0-1. Perhaps not our most complete game in terms of football, but the defense brought a tear to me eye. Barca could have played until sunrise and still wouldn't have got anywhere near scoring.

Best Goal
Baptista's overhead kick against Betis.

Best assist
Something from Guti's collection.

Wesley Sneijder had a brilliant start and end to the season, but for a good chunk down the stretch he was fairly useless. Still, he's shown great football the last two months so I'll spare him. I'll go for Fabio Cannavaro, started off brightly but then morphed into 06/07.

Javier Saviola. I am still struggling to understand the whole point.

Michael Salgado. Just Brutal.

Worst Loss
I'd say losing to Roma at the Bernabeu, as it knocked us out of the CL which really, really hurt. The pain was made worse by the fact we had six or seven top-caliber players unavailable.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Best Player
Like I said above, the engine of our team, the player who produces the most goals, the player who's football we live and die by and depend on for good performances... Guti.HAZ.

Best Transfer
[B[Pepe[/B]

Best young player
Sergio Ramos. Pretty straight forward, nobody comes close. Gago had a good year.

Best game
El Pasillo. Smiled from minute 1 to minute 90. Embarassed the eternal rival. Doesn't get much better than that.

Best Goal
KUbfwdUtbyQ

Best assist
I dunno, too many from Guti. I like this one because it fooled everybody.
sUs1uGHCu-g

Fabio Cannavaro. GTFO.

Javier Saviola. GTFO.

Michael Salgado. Awful. :proud:

Worst Loss
Second leg against Roma. No doubt.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Best Player
Guti.HAZ

Best Transfer
Pepe

Best young player
Marcelo and Higuain. Ramos is an easy choice, so I decided that with 22 he is too old, and ruled him out :)

Best game
Home game vs Barca.

Best Goal
A 3-way-tie between Robinho's chip against Zaragoza, Baptista's bicycle kick and Gago-Robinho combo against Recre (another chip by Robson).

Honorable mentions: Baptista against Barca(the 1-2), Sneijder's last free-kick, Higuain against Almeria.

Best assist

Sneijder's long pass to Raul against Villareal (home).
Guti's pass to Robinho against Villarreal(away).
Gago's lob pass to Sneijder against Villareal(away).

Yes, all three against Villareal :)

Cannavaro to be the most disappointing player would have to perform worse then last year, while in fact he improved. Soldado didn't get the chances, but didn't take advantage of the few he did... It would hard to be lable him the most disappointing player, but yeah, his overall situation was somewhat disappointing.

Anyways to actually answer the question. Miguel Torres. I was hoping he will build on his last seasons performances, yet was 2 tiers below...

Metzelder and Saviola. Yes, the two free transfers, who had the impact equivalent to their pricetag.

Worst Loss
The two Roma games, without a doubt. That period (in liga too) was truly awful (not counting the Valladolid) form by the team.

I refuse to answer who the Worst player was, because Salgado has taken enough beatings as is :)

BTW. RM scored some beauties this year. Someone make a compilation of all the goals, now :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Best Player

Casillas generally, but isn't he always? hence i am voting for Raul. He truly had a fantastic season with his goals, assists, leadership and effort.

Best Transfer

Pepe. He made mistakes and lost focus in vital games (the mistake agaist Roma, while it didn't merit the sending off, was stupid nontheless. However, he has the potential to lead our defense for years to come, and is probably a top-5 defender in the world right now.

Special mention to Heinze, who has played EXCELLENT in almost all games.

Best young player

Marcelo. The guy is barely 20 and has shown great potential, but special mention to Pipita (I consider Ramos already well developed ;))

Best game

Classico at home, but i really enjoyed Valencia and Villareal away

Best Goal

Pipita at Osasuna, not in terms of beauty (there were nicer goals), but the thrill it brought was out of this world. Also Beast against Barca in Nou Camp.

Best assist

Guti for Sneijder in opening game of the season

Gago

I know he is well liked in these forums, but i fail to see why we spent 20 mil euros on him. De La Red is better and our youth product. The problem with Gago is he couldn't adapt at CM, and has many weaknesses at DM. While his tackling signifcantlly improved with confidence, his positioning is still poor, he wins NOTHING in the air, has no physical presence and is very slow. His offensive contribution is also poor.

Drenthe

Again, not sure why he cost 14 mil euros. Has good talent but there are many better players in his position for less cost (Depotivo's Guadardo is one example)

Robben comes second for the amount of minutes per $$$ he has!

Cannavaro again. Salgado is worse but he wasn't really a starter.

Worst Loss
No doubt home against Valencia!!! I still can't believe we lost that! Both Roma games because we are a much superior team, but played two lousy games against them

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Gago

I know he is well liked in these forums, but i fail to see why we spent 20 mil euros on him. De La Red is better and our youth product. The problem with Gago is he couldn't adapt at CM, and has many weaknesses at DM. While his tackling signifcantlly improved with confidence, his positioning is still poor, he wins NOTHING in the air, has no physical presence and is very slow. His offensive contribution is also poor.
You've got to be kidding me.

I know you dislike the guy and have a heavy bias... but Fernando Gago is the most disappointing player of our season?

Good Lord... did he impregnate your sister or something?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Best Player

Robinho : He was having an awesome season before his injury, and set for at least a goal and an assist every game. His performance helped us have have a cushion for when we started to lose games after he got hurt.

Best Transfer

PEPE: I didn't like him at first just because he was always injured but he has proven to be a great buy, next to Heinze.

Best young player

Marcelo: Ramos is not a young player anymore, and marcelo has been great this year (overall)

Best game
EL classico : We had a perfect game, and I mean , a PERFECT GAME!

Best Goal
Baptista goal at the Nou Camp..the face of my roommate was priceless..utter desperation!

Best assist

Can't really say.

Torres: He hasn't shown any improvement from last year.

Saviola. FUERA!

Nobody. Everybody did their part, and Salgado wasn't a starter and I kinda like the crazy maniac.hehehe. If anything i'd say Saviola.

Worst Loss
Losing to Roma at home. That was heartbreaking.

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
Best Player
Casillas imho, he was the most consistent.

Best Transfer
Pepe was a great buy, the way he plays is just amazing, before the games you're looking forward to his perfomance, although he's just a defender.

Best young player
Sergio Ramos.

Best game
El Classico at home was just a humiliation.

Best Goal
Robinho against Zaragoza.

Best assist
Guti's pass to Higuain, I don't know which game it was. :( It was simply unreal.

Cannavaro. During the game against Osasuna I said that I don't want to see him in the Bernabeu again and I stick to that.

Soldado. I expected so much more from him.

Cannavaro and Salgado

Worst Loss
Roma

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Best assist
Guti's pass to Higuain, I don't know which game it was. :( It was simply unreal.
I'm determined to find this now.

EDIT: Is it this one?

P4EZriEkR0A

Or this one(2:30)?

d6tPyZ-Oeeo

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
best Player
Raul .... if Robinho's form didnt drop this way I would have easily chosen him but he is too inconsistent to be BEST PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Best Transfer

Pepe

Best young player

Sergio Ramos

Best game

RM vs Barca

Cannavaro

Soldado

Cannavaro

Worst Loss
Easiet choice
1-2 to Roma

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Uncool Josh, uncool

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Because I've usually kept quiet on VL's Gago bashing, but to name him the most disappointing player of the season is downright absurd IMO. The sister joke was just that, a joke, and I wouldn't mean anything more than that to Mo. I simply can't fathom how he can be the most disappointing player of the year for us. Forgive me if that came across too strong.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
best Player :Overall, there is no player in out team that was important as Casillas. No player performed in such a high level through out the year. None.

Best Transfer: Value for Money - Heintze, beside that, we're lucky to have Pepe.

Best young player :Sergio Ramos

Best game: 0:1 in the camp nou

Most Disappointing Player: Robben, not worth 1/10 of the price we pay for him.

Most Disappointing Transfe: Robben again :)

Worst Player of the Season: I don't think we had one guy was bad all the time, even canavaro had some good games. Don't know.

Worst Loss: CL, Roma. Sad day :(

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
best player: raul

all the others were good

ps: to all who say that cannavaro was the worst i would have loved to see what we would do without the only CB that stayed healthy all season

salgado - torres - ramos - marcelo

yes great back line dudes

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Best Player

For me, our best player this season has to be Raul. The man led from the front in every single match & notched up a respectable goal tally. For a player who's been under so much pressure for the last few seasons, he's done a remarkable job this time. Hats off to our captain. :proud:

Best Transfer

Without doubt, Pepe. :happy:Absolute monster of a centre back.

Best young player

Sergio 'I'm Superman' Ramos. My favourite player!! Bleeds on the field for every single game, no doubt he's gonna lead us as a captain in years to come. :proud::thumbsup:

Fabio Cannavaro. Did they really name him the WPOY? :googly:

Robben. Made no difference to the season whatsoever. Waste of money, waste of talent. :groan:

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Best Player
If only Robinho had not been injured and maintained his tremendous form thereafter, he would have been selected for this title. Consequently, San Iker takes it.

Best Transfer
Pepe - Astonishing in every sense of the word. I am more than gleeful that he is a Madridista.

Best young player
Sergio Ramos - the absolute embodiment of the term, tour de force -- F. Gago, a close second for his mature, sound and graceful performances in the midfield (in particular, as his confidence increased). Higuain also deserves an honourable mention.

Best game
El Pasillo, the 90+ min. part.

Best Goal
Drenthe's long-ranger Vs Sevilla.

Best assist
Only Guti can produce a noteworthy assist. So, anything by him is worthy.

Fabio Cannavaro. I expected him to do well after his early signs of good work yet he somehow declined towards mediocrity.

Saviola - A terribly inane signing . . . a waste of time. Soldado, second place.

Fabio Cannavaro; the number of times I was considerably incensed was, usually, induced by this man. If it was not for Iker (and at certain instances, Pepe and Ramos) to clean up his many blunders, he would have been an obvious laughing stock.

Salgado is a non-entity to me. No Más!

Worst Loss
Inflicted by AS Roma - Second Leg.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Best Player
Undeniably Casillas but Raul is in close second!!

Best Transfer
Pepe the man!!

Best young player
Well I'll give it to Higuain.

Best game
El Clasico Bernabeu match.

Best Goal
Baptista's bicycle without a doubt!!

Best assist
Van Nisteroy to Bastita for a classic away win at the Camp Nou!!

Cannavaro

Saviola.

Salgado.

Worst Loss
Yeah I'll say the Getafe one also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts