Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the day has finally come! Tomorrow Delio Rossi will hold a press conference, thus ending Lazio’s two-month long press silence, which started after the home defeat against Genoa.

High time, in my opinion, that the coach and (maybe) players are allowed to go public. Not that fans can’t live without a daily dose of their words, but anyway it would have just been interesting to hear from them after some games, Cagliari for example, or yesterday’s derby. It is still to be seen if this end of press silence regards Delio Rossi only or from tomorrow on players will be free to answer media’s questions.

The decision to end the press silence (provided this is its end) is taken also under heavy pressure from Lazio’s sponsors (mainly Puma, I think), which had a complete two month black out from TV channels. I wonder if Lazio had a team channel such as, for example, Inter or Juventus have, this press silence would have taken place at all, but that’s just a rhetorical question I think, although sometimes a wee bit of silence from the team would be just a need, see what’s happening at Inter for example.

I suspect that press silence was also a decision fit for the personality of our president, who (needless to say) was the only Lazio man allowed to talk. And since he is much of a showman, I think he just feels before TV cameras much like a fish feels in the water! Also some bits of “it-brings-us-luck” (but that only lately) were part of this decision to continue with not talking to media.

Anyway, now after two months of famine (with only our beloved president giving us food for our hard-tested thoughts), we will finally able to hear again how Rozenhal is enjoying Roman climate or about Behrami’s jokes in the dressing room. Can’t wait!

FORZA LAZIO

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,242 Posts
The whole idea of a press silence seems wrong to me. A club with a commercial interest, such as Lazio, should try to be in the news as much as possible, as media attention generates awareness and interest. Certainly, it should be done responsibly, but to refuse to communicate so blatantly is counter productive. The media will be printing stories anyway, and if Lazio is unavailable for comments, such stories will be awfully one sided. But the Lazio management doesn't seem to realize the possibilities that a good relation with the media provides.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Totally agree, Boyo.

It's not like I'd expect award winning poetry coming out of football-people, they ususally talk in phrases anyway, but the whole idea of a press silence is just totally backwards. It does Lazio more harm than good if they don't know how to handle the media.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts