Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EL's 16 teams knockouts

Hamburger SV (GER) v RSC Anderlecht (BEL)
FC Rubin Kazan (RUS) v VfL Wolfsburg (GER)
Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) v Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR)
SL Benfica (POR) v Olympique de Marseille (FRA)
Panathinaikos FC (GRE) v R. Standard de Liège (BEL)
LOSC Lille Métropole (FRA) v Liverpool FC (ENG)
Juventus (ITA) v Fulham FC (ENG)
Valencia CF (ESP) v Werder Bremen (GER)

Pretty good games there. :)

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Lille vs Liverpool will be pretty entertaining aswell. It will be interesting to see how will Liverpool do against Lille´s offensive style.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
I'm liking the German sides in this year's competition. Benfica could be a good bet as well. They are looking very good.

·
The Black Knight
2,038 Posts
Hamburger SV 2-1 RSC Anderlecht
FC Rubin Kazan 3-1 VfL Wolfsburg
Club Atlético de Madrid 0-2 Sporting Clube de Portugal
SL Benfica 1-1 Olympique de Marseille
Panathinaikos FC 3-2 R. Standard de Liège
LOSC Lille Métropole 2-1 Liverpool FC
Juventus 1-2 Fulham FC
Valencia CF 2-2 Werder Bremen

I'm probably wrong, but what the hey.

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
The semi finals could be cl qf material no or even higher?

Juventus,Liverpool,Valencia,Benfica.:)

For example Sevilha,bordeaux

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Benfica v Marseille looks to be a good one.

Benfica had some impressive results in the tournaments and Marseille are just starting to look to hit some form all round.

Let's hope they both put out their strongest sides especially applies to Marseille more.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Benfica v Marseille looks to be a good one.

Benfica had some impressive results in the tournaments and Marseille are just starting to look to hit some form all round.

Let's hope they both put out their strongest sides especially applies to Marseille more.
There is no reason for any of these teams not to field their strongest sides.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
There is no reason for any of these teams not to field their strongest sides.
French clubs last season fielded under strength sides Marseille and PSG.

Marseille in the advanced stages last year.

Like I say let's hope for no repeat this season.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Winning this is financially way short of getting to the quarters of CL. And with almsot every club having strong domestic commitments it is only fair to rest players here. Not downplaying the tournament but we all know how important money is to clubs.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts

If they do that it's pretty pathetic. They spend a whole season fighting to grab a European spot in their league and when they are actually on the competition they field a weaker side to save their first team players...to fight for a European spot in their league.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Winning this is financially way short of getting to the quarters of CL. And with almsot every club having strong domestic commitments it is only fair to rest players here. Not downplaying the tournament but we all know how important money is to clubs.
You can say that about the top 3-4 sides of the 3 main leagues in Europe but that's it. Neither the French nor the Portuguese leagues are more important than winning the Europa League.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
They need to get more money into it. If they can do that then sides will start taking it seriously...it's sad but it's what football has become.

Some great matches and some big clubs in the tournament this year though that will surely cause a bit more interest.

·
The Black Knight
2,038 Posts
The semi finals could be cl qf material no or even higher?

Juventus,Liverpool,Valencia,Benfica.:)

For example Sevilha,bordeaux
Not sure... Bordeaux are tough - they might be able to beat those teams there at least for this season... then it seems they might lose their manager and striker. :rollani: Damn football.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
@ Filipe Well I'd say Marseille would rather win their own league than the Europa League.

It's pretty tight in the French league atm and Marseille even being 6 points off top at this stage due to some indifferent mid season form are now beginning to get a run together. They would be hopeful at this stage of making a run for the title.

Depends how the games go. If Marseille have shall we say a lesser side domestically near to these europa league games then you would be hopeful that they would go for the Europa League as much as their own French title. Have to see how things go.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
They need to get more money into it. If they can do that then sides will start taking it seriously...it's sad but it's what football has become.

Some great matches and some big clubs in the tournament this year though that will surely cause a bit more interest.
It's not just sad, it's a disgrace. Football is suppose to be about trophies. The Europa Cup is a trophy. Makes me sick thinking of the disrespect the like of Martin O'Neill has shown to the cup.

Teams like Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd, Middlesborough, Arsenal by doing well in the Champions league and the Europa Cup have helped to keep the coefficients high which rule how many European places the likes of England keep. A few more seasons of English sides disrespecting the Europa cup, and some early knockouts in the Champions League could see England lose their 4th spot for the Champions League. People like MON don't deserve to finish in a Champions League place. They've done nothing to earn it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
You can say that about the top 3-4 sides of the 3 main leagues in Europe but that's it. Neither the French nor the Portuguese leagues are more important than winning the Europa League.
I dont know about how finances of every club are, and how a club values the domestic league and the European cup. So it's all assumption really.

·
The Black Knight
2,038 Posts

You can't win a tournament without taking risks... I hope French teams don't decide to play it safe and inevitably crash out.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I'd love Benfica to win it but we have to be realistic. We can't field our best 11 both in the Portuguese League and in the Europa League without having the team fall apart physically.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts