Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing this all last week. 60 hours and I feel I've only yet scratched the surface. What a great game. This really sets the standard for non-linear gameplay. You're completely free to go anywhere and do anything you like. The world you're in is huge, with several cities and numours caves and ruins. The landscape is wonderfully rendered. You really feel you're in a forest, while riding through it. Story wise it's really a sequal to Morrowind and all of it's elements are here again too. If you like the RPG/FPS mix of Deus Ex, Vampire Bloodlines and Knights of the Old Republic, you'll love this game.

The only gripe I have with it, are it's system requirements. They're insane. And I can't really understand why. I assume it's because of the graphics, as Bethesda makes a big deal of that. But I really don't find them all that great. Games such as FEAR, Far Cry and Halflife 2 had far better graphics with less system requirements.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Boyo said:
I've been playing this all last week. 60 hour and I feel I've only yet scratched the surface.
:glasses:

I haven't bought or played any game since I bought World of Warcraft, and this might be the first game I will buy now.

The story sounds cool, and the details and enviroment looks superb. ;-)

·
Registered
23,873 Posts
I think it is boring and very buggy, played it for maybe 20 hours tops and then haven't touched it.

The world doesn't fee like a real world, there are way to little NPCs and there are no dialogue to talk about. The leveling system is bad in several ways. One because pretty much everyone level with you (which will make you look weaker the stronger you are supposed to be) the other is because you will get more powerful if you choose skills you don't use.

The action dungeon crawling it does well, but that isn't my kind of game.

I can't tell how Boyo can compare it with Vampire bloodlines since it is very much a different game.

·
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you found it buggy, the comparison with Bloodlines should be obvious. ;) :pp

Seriously, I only meant the style of the game (RPG/FPS) not the gameplay or story. :)

Although there are vampires and vampire hunters in Oblivion. I am one myself. Both vampire and vampire hunter actually. :googly: :eyepatch:

·
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One the coolest things is that with some of the Daedra, after you defeat them, you can rip their heart out and eat it. That has to be the ultimate way to slay an enemy. :D

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
I think the only quests worth are the brotherhood ones, overall the side quests feel a lot like the first one, but with a twist here and there. For instance in Skigard (or a city with a name like that :D ) you get mob of ladies that steal from men, inviting them to their farm out of town. You get to the quest after you speak to a woman who asks for you to collect a stolen ring from her husband, at the end you find out it was ploy from the guards to catch those woman

a nice game, too bad I´m playing on a radeon 8500 with all the gfx turned down with the gfx being the best part of thi sgame

Boyo

if you are a vampire can you walk in the towns? And how do you become a vampire hunter is that a guild? And how do you become a Vampire?

·
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lite®nit said:
if you are a vampire can you walk in the towns? And how do you become a vampire hunter is that a guild? And how do you become a Vampire?
Yes, but only at night.

I was walking around the Imperial City (in the Temple District) when I got approached by a woman, who asked me to contact a man named Seridur. He runs a vampire hunter group and asked me to join. It's a not really a guild, and I haven't been able to advance in rank (yet). But they pay in gold for the remains of vampires that I've killed. I contracted the vamperic disease while hunting a vampire, and it turned me into one myself.

There's more to this story actually, but I don't want to spoil it. If you really want to know, read below:

Actually Seridur was a vampire himself and was running the vampire hunter group to mask his activities. He send me to kill someone who Seridur claimed was a vampire, but who actually saw Seridur suck the blood out of a girl and thus knew Seridur's secret. The person I set out to hunt managed to convince me to investigate Seridur himself, I did and found evidence in his room. I followed Seridur to his cave hide-out and in the fight with him I contracted the vamperic disease.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
How does :star:Sean Bean's:star: voice sound?

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
hey thanks Boyo, sounds like an awesome side quest. What level are you in and what are you playing? Thief/Mage/Fighter...

also whats you hardware, you said the game is not as beutiful as you expected. But are you playing with HDR?

·
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lite®nit said:
hey thanks Boyo, sounds like an awesome side quest. What level are you in and what are you playing? Thief/Mage/Fighter...
I'm level 8 now. Playing as an Imperial/Mage's sign/Spellsword.

There's still so much left in the game, I wonder how long I will take to finish it all.

also whats you hardware, you said the game is not as beutiful as you expected. But are you playing with HDR?
P4 2.5 ghz, 512mb ram, Radeon 9700pro 128mb. My card can't handle HDR, so maybe that's why the graphics don't look as good. But if I'm going to upgrade anything, it would first be some additional RAM (to 1gb), see if that improves the performance.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
nice char, too bad I always go for the thief assassin type :( but its pretty fun sneaking into peoples house at 3:00AM to rob them.

one thing that annoys me in this game, how the difficulty is setup according to your level (this playing on average) so it will mostly spaw rats, wolfs, imps (low level creatures) meaning there is no dugeon you cannot clear out.

Tougher creatures only show up when you level and the same happens to loot. unlike Gothic where some places are just impossible to go to.

I wonder if I set to a higher diffficulty this will change or just the amount of damage changes.

·
Registered
23,873 Posts
Lite®nit said:
one thing that annoys me in this game, how the difficulty is setup according to your level (this playing on average) so it will mostly spaw rats, wolfs, imps (low level creatures) meaning there is no dugeon you cannot clear out.

Tougher creatures only show up when you level and the same happens to loot. unlike Gothic where some places are just impossible to go to.

I wonder if I set to a higher diffficulty this will change or just the amount of damage changes.
Just as I said. Everything is leveled to you which is just silly. Difficult will change damage, but also loot. You will get more and better items at easy difficult and the opposite.

·
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lite®nit said:
nice char, too bad I always go for the thief assassin type :( but its pretty fun sneaking into peoples house at 3:00AM to rob them.
That's where I have trouble. :D I suck at security and my alteration skill is high enough only for casting average lock spells, so there are quite a few places (and chests) I can't get in to. :neutral:

Lit said:

Yes, I've noticed that too. But I think it has to do with the non-linear nature of the game. In Morrowind it would happen that you entered an area where the enemies were far too strong and you'd get killed no matter what. So I think they tried to fix that in this game. I've also noticed that some quests are only available if you are at a certain level.

But maybe they will release a patch to make the enemies stronger at lower levels. It's one of the most heard complaints on the official forum. Otherwise I guess that the mod community will design something for it.

·
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Next time around, I'm going to play as either a Breton or a High Elf, still with The Mage as sign, but I want to create a custom class, specializing in Magic, with the focus on Intelligence and Willpower and with Alchemy, Alteration, Conjuration, Destruction, Restoration, Security and Sneak as major skills. :)

·
38,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah, Martin Septim. :)

I wouldn't have guessed. That's some fine voice acting by Sean. His character is a bit insecure and overwhelmed, having only just found out he's the Emperor's son and heir to the throne of Tamriel. Sean does that beautifully. He speaks slowly, with a soft, trembling voice. It's done quite well.

Actually, that whole voice acting in games has become big business. Patrick Stewart, of Star Trek fame, is also a voice actor in this game. And in another recent game, Godfather, they got almost the entire cast of the Godfather movies together to do the voices.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Boyo said:
Ah, Martin Septim. :)

I wouldn't have guessed. That's some fine voice acting by Sean. His character is a bit insecure and overwhelmed, having only just found out he's the Emperor's son and heir to the throne of Tamriel. Sean does that beautifully. He speaks slowly, with a soft, trembling voice. It's done quite well..
Of course! :strong:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts