Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elber calls time on Brazil career

Sunday 30th June 2002

Bayern Munich striker Giovane Elber has decided to quit international football, no matter who replaces arch-critic Luiz Felipe Scolari as Brazil coach after the World Cup.

Elber was consistently overlooked by Scolari during the World Cup qualifying campaign, and failed to make his 23-man squad for the finals despite enjoying a fine season for Bayern.

The 29-year-old was at loggerheads with Scolari ever since refusing to travel to the Copa America because of security concerns.

Any hopes of a reconciliation diminished when Elber accused the national team boss of bearing a grudge against Germany-based players, and though Bayer Leverkusen's Lucio fought his way back into the squad, he continued to be left out.

And, despite the fact that Scolari has decided to quit as Brazil coach after the World Cup, Elber feels his international days are over.

"The subject is closed," he said. "When the 2006 World Cup comes around I will be 33 and I will not have the desire or the ability to play.

"Whether it's Scolari, Mario Zagalo or Wanderly Luxembourgo there is no possibility of me changing my mind."

onefootball ;)

·
fawkin legend
4,943 Posts
This won't hurt Brasil...there is a new generation comming up with Kaka, Adriano etc., leaded by Ronaldo Fenomeno and Ronaldinho Gaucho, we will have a strong team 2006 too.

But its too early to think about our next celebration :eek: lets enjoy the PENTA :tongue: :cool: :cool: :cool:

VIVA BRASIL! - PENTA CAMPEAO DO MUNDO! :eek: :dazed: :cool:

·
Registered
461 Posts
i think if a player like elber can't make his NT...it must mean that his NT is just way too strong and deep in good players...elber is very good...but i guess not good enough for brasil

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yeah, adriano is brazil's future...with kaka replacing rivaldo... wow...ronaldo+adriano for brazil...and u still have ronaldinho...brazil's future looks very good.. :cool:

·
Registered
719 Posts
believe me, here nobody will miss him :rolleyes:

we have at least 10 players like him.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Elber is not good enough for the Seleção - and never was

That's true, there wasn't one single line about that in Brazil's sports media. He's considered very unimpressive here in Brazil, and we do have several players like him - but his style is generally regarded as less interesting, that 'physical striker' thing has never been appreciated in Brazil. Well, good luck for him in his career.

Adriano is a good prospect, but there are other options for Brazil. Scolari, or whoever takes the job, will have to choose which style suits his tactics better. Who knows? Chances are, someone completely new will appear before the next Cup. Thank God, it's always like this. :)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
I doubt adriano will be in this set up. He left Brazil to early like Elber. Also he has a lot to learn....and most of the things he will learn from now on are not Brazilian related! So he will lose a lot of the characteritcs he could have got in Brazil!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts