Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know a very harsh title. But hold your horses and let me explain. This was the subject between me and Roger a rainy easter day on a cafè outside the Camp Nou.

Saviola, Kluivert and Rivaldo are all excellent players. But they don`t work together because they are all too similar. They all wants to go down and meet up the ball. They all want to hold the ball. They all work on the same areas.

The tridente works against weaker teams when Kluivert, Rivaldo or Saviola can win the match on induvidual skills. But against better teams and more defensly orintated once it gets much tougher. Just because they are too invidualy too skillfull to play together. I`m sure that for exampel Kluivert would rather play together with the type of player like Dani for exampel than Rivaldo or/and Saviola. Why? Because the type of player like Dani is the perfect compliment for him. Dani doesn`t go down and meet the ball, he`s an attacker who always is in the front line. Because he doesn`t have the skills to go deeper down like Kluivert, Rivaldo and Saviola does.

The tridente looks good on paper, but in reality it doesn`t work. One or two of them has to go. I would take away Rivaldo who`s far from in good shape. Kluivert and Saviola also needs a new player to comliment them in attack. This is of course too late to do anything about now. But for next season the future coach has to fix this. The likley arrivel of Riquelme will mean another player who plays on the same area. Niether would a signing like Tristàn work either together with Rivaldo, Saviola or Kluivert. A proper coach would have relized this a long time ago. And with a worldclass coach we wouldn`t have seen the Tridente toghter.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I agree totally. An option would be to put Rivo on the left wing, and to make Saviola play in the front line all the time, with Kluivert behind him. I know who we need: ROMARIO :star: He never walks to get the ball from the midfied, but every ball he gets is a goal. Romario-Kluivert, with Rivo on the leftwing if he's in form. With a decent coach it would win La Liga.
But with the cirrent squad I suggest this attack:
Geovanni_____Kluivert______Rivaldo
_____________Saviola___________

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Besides the fact the three are the same type of players, there is another problem with the Tridente: the number of people in the axis is too high. We have three of the best strikers in the world playing on 30 square meters. Add to that the defenders of the opponent and no ball will get through! It's more like a labyrinth than a footballfield! Especially because El Tridente can't be combined with true wingers, which causes all the opponent's defensive player to be where our Tridente is. That also minimizes the pace of the game and the surprise-effects wingers would bring and where Barça is famous for.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think it's not so much the nature of the players, but more the role given to them by the coach. Take Kluiver for instance. In the dutch NT team he played as striker and just behind the front line. In the first situation he usually played together with Bergkamp who put Kluivert in a scoring position. This worked well, especially during WC98. The second situation i saw in practise for the first time in the match against germany (2000 in think). He played just behind Van Nistelrooy which worked perfectly too. I can't say much about rivo and saviola because i haven't seen them play that often.

BTW, I liked your idea of selling Rivo :D . Any idea if big european team hav shown interest in him? How much would they have to pay?

·
Registered
879 Posts
rivo's going rate is probably around 25mil euros. Maybe 30 if he shows no other injuries till the end of the year.

I hesistate to view riquelme as the ONLY answer to our problems. I hope we can also get us a player that can help us on the wing... ie david beckham, mendieta, giggs, nedved, or denilson.

the selling of rivo, overmars, FDB could finance these two transactions.

OR... you could convince rivo to play on the wing.. and then we could keep our team the EXACTLY AS it is :D :D :D :D

·
fawkin legend
4,943 Posts
nijhuist said:

BTW, I liked your idea of selling Rivo
But why selling the best player of the last few years ? :confused:

Its not his season because of his injuries but he ain't finished yet

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
typical barca fans, we can only talk about selling rivo, but a few months ago we praised him as he was our saviour and gave us CL football, which is the only competion we are half decent in !

anyways i agree, el tridente is overrated and largely crap.... but i dont think its cos they are misfielder or too similar, its just that too much comes thru the middle and with no wingers there is no imagination. any of rivo, sav, kluivert can play anywhere in attack otherwise they wont be good enuff for first team football...

and i personally hope we dont get riquelme, ild much prefer mendi

MUCH MUCH

if mendi could play on the RW and we could get an exciting new good LW ( or force rivo on the left !), i think some of our problems will be solved by the dissolution of the tridente and the introduction of wing play !

cheers

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ronaldo2001 said:

But why selling the best player of the last few years ? :confused:

Its not his season because of his injuries but he ain't finished yet
Because he`s 30 and this is our last chanse to get any money for him. You can also see that all the kicks Rivaldo`s legs has recived during the years are starting to show now. That`s why he`s often injured now days. And that`s why he won`t be able to play on the same level as before. It`s the same with Luis Enrique. Also when Rivaldo plays the teams is too depended on him. All balls go through him when he`s in the center. Easy for a good defence to read. Rivaldo on the wing is a completly diffrent thing.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
the tridente is not crap what happen is that coach doesn't know how use it, i can agree sell bad players and rivaldo is not one of them

·
Registered
368 Posts
because of it Riquelme would be good...
but,without him,I´d like it:

Rivaldo
Saviola- Kluivert -Overmars

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
mendieta over riquelme:confused: .......:tongue:

---------------needed (cocu)
--LE21-----------------------needed (rochemback/overmars/geovanni)
-------------Juan Roman
----saviola---kluivert----rivaldo

·
fawkin legend
4,943 Posts
@Robban, I think its time for Rivaldo to score some nice bicycle-kicks, or to in the cl-final by himself if we qualify (we all know how many matches he decided during the last years), then you will change your opinion immediately :D ;)

I would sell players who can be replaced, Rivo can't, he is extraordinary.

·
fawkin legend
4,943 Posts
And last but not least, here is something to think about:

"I have been playing on despite the injuries for myself and for the club. I have played many matches with medical help. I don't know what else to do. I am sad because this the most important season of my career and I have been taking medicine to speed my recovery from each injury."

Rivaldo suffered a knee injury at the start of the season and Barca supporters did not like his trip to Brazil to complete his recovery. After he returned to Europe, he picked up an injury to his left thigh.

Scolari commented: "If he is not fit by May then I may have to start looking for replacements for the World Cup." (original posted by Alexxx)

respect & health & luck :star:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nrk said:
the tridente is not crap what happen is that coach doesn't know how use it, i can agree sell bad players and rivaldo is not one of them
The El Tridente is crap because they are too similar and take away the spaces for eachother. Or how would you play them?:) Rivaldo should be sold too increase money to the club. Anyway he`ll leave this summer anyway so it isn`t much to disscuss. Riquelme is the future. Rivaldo the present.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
batigold said:
mendieta over riquelme:confused: .......:tongue:

/B]

yup ! i'ld take mendi over riquelme anyday !

its not cos of a head to head comparison, its cos of they way they play....

mendi is a playmaker like riquelme, but unlike requilme thats not all he does...

he tracks back to defend and he is good at it, he is a leader, and experienced in la liga...

i remember mendi at valencia, he was awesome back then playin the RW... he was always up front forward creating or scoring, or he was back helping in defense, he owned that right wing and sometimes the left and the middle! he is one of those players that can pop up anywhere to cause trouble !

the point is, mendi could bring experience, leadership, hardwork ethic, and wingplay into barca, which at the moment is decidedly lacking.

cheers

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Nah, I think Rivaldo is a bit of the past. At least at the axis. He has brilliant moves and he has a great shot, as we could see last night. But last night we also saw it took him too long before he knew what he was going to do with the ball, and it takes him too long before he realizes where his teammates are... At the wing there is more room and there are less defenders immediately attacking Rivo. So at the wing Rivo's skills at at their best, and his "downsides" are covered up much better.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Rivaldo has a perfect chance to prove what he really worth right now, playing vs Real in the semis. The only question is: does he has to prove something in Barça?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Laska kolbaska said:
Rivaldo has a perfect chance to prove what he really worth right now, playing vs Real in the semis. The only question is: does he has to prove something in Barça?
yes that he is a great player and if barça sell him barça will spend a lot of time or money to find another player like him

1 - 19 of 19 Posts