Xtratime Community banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
I should add that it does not help the reputation of the EL that losers from CL group stages join too.

·
Registered
59,120 Posts
He didn't say he called it that though. However the statement itself is not wrong, EL is basically for shit clubs ever since the CL got so blown up.
Well recent winners of EL include the likes of Chelsea, Manchester United and Atletico Madrid. 2 former CL winners and a club that reached 2 CL finals in 2014 and 2016. Not bad..

In general, nearly all the European giants won UEFA cup before: Liverpool, Real Madrid, Bayern, Ajax etc..

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
And most of the time the EL winner has been relegated from the CL. Which in itself is not only a bad thing but also shows that the quality is so low that even when you cannot make it in the CL you can easily go and win the EL.

As I said, mainly since the CL got blown up. UEFA Cup of the 90s (until mid 90s maybe which should be around the time the CL started with 3-4 teams from each country) and before was quite cool I think.

·
Registered
59,120 Posts
Technically even the CL can also be described as the 'losers' cup as many of the teams participating in it are not Champions of their countries.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
Technically even the CL can also be described as the 'losers' cup as many of the teams participating in it are not Champions of their countries.
It certainly could, however it is still the prime competition and as long as there is no better one the best remains the best.

·
Registered
59,120 Posts
Getafe lost at Levante and finished 8th. No Europe for them next season unless they win EL this season.

With the CL spot sealed, we better field reserves in Bergamo 3 days before the Getafe game. Anything else would be utter madness.

·
Registered
59,120 Posts
61 - 69 of 69 Posts