Thursday, 23 February 2012
Estádio José Alvalade, Lisbon

SPORTING CP vs Legia Warsaw (POL)

vs

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Many Sporting fans are right now feeling that tonight's game will be a mere formality as no matter who wins this tie will be crushed like an ant by the mercenaries of Al-Man City in the following round. I am not one of them, although obviously I would have preferred to play little Porto instead. We have a big history in Europe, we have points to win to improve Portugal's UEFA coefficient and the team needs wins to breathe.

Sá Pinto is "sure" we are going to win. Strange words for a football coach but after all he is just a beginner and he speaks from his heart, as he always did.

Rinaudo and Onyewu were kicked out of the squad by the butchers of Paços de Ferreira, although Fito is only expected to be out for 10 days. He will also miss the home game against Rio Ave on Sunday but should be fit to face Setúbal at Bonfim one week later. Gooch had it worst. He will need surgery and will be out for approximately 2 months.

Their absences will open space for Daniel Carriço, as DM, and Alberto Rodriguez as CB. Yes because Sá Pinto apparently, and sadly, also thinks like his predecessor that Polga has a divine right to be a starter for us. :rollani:

Line-up is out:

Rui Patrício
João Pereira - Polga - Rodriguez - Insúa
Daniel Carriço
Matías Fernández - Schaars
Carrillo - Ricky van Wolfswinkel - Izmailov

Subs: Marcelo Boeck, Xandão, Pereirinha, Renato Neto, André Santos, Diego Capel and Seba Ribas.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very dangerous freekick by Matías

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rodriguez now almost let Ljuboja score out of nothing.

Legia started strong and we haven't yet took charge of the midfield.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SPORTING 0-0 Legia at HT

Legia started strong, pressing very high, wanting to score early as their coach promised in the pre-match press conference. Sporting held well the pressure and slowly but surely took control of the game, creating a few good moves, mainly from the right, but never dangerous enough to open the score. Sá Pinto continues the same casting mistakes of Domingos. Izmailov on the wings (why??), Matías on the right. That, added with the fact that Carriço is completely incapable of creating whatsoever from his number 6 position, has left our midfield without enough balance to unbalance the game in our favour.

I hope to see Diego Capel, André Santos and maybe even Ribas on the second half, because we can't go on playing with fire. We need to score first.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know what Sá Pinto is waiting to make his subs.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now the ref fails to see a blatant backpass to the keeper inside Legia's box.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He needed 70' to make his mind up:

Diego Capel IN for Carrillo, who got a knock on his knee.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And one minute later another one goes off injured:

Xandão IN for...Rodriguez, of course.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now it's Izmailov that goes off completely dead tired. Pereirinha comes in.

And we got out of jail as João Pereira makes a foul inside the box and the ref gives the freekick outside which Legia wastes. Karma from last week?

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATIIIIIIIIIIIIIGOOOOOOOOOOOL 1-0

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A beauty of a curly freekick from the left by our own Cantinflas and Man City here we go. :D

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man City..... Hey, anything less than 6-1 aggregate isn't bad.
Hey look who's here...Mr Idontgiveashitaboutsporting! :howler:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some pole mongrel should have been sent off now for a very nasty studs up on Schaars.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
SPORTING 1-0 Legia Warsaw (3-2 on agg.) - FT

It was another toothless second half performance from our side with the team looking insecure and never really in control of a tie that should have been wrapped up here without too much trouble. Sá Pinto was incredibly slow in making the much needed moves and only did them when he was forced to due to the injuries of the two Peruvians and the complete physical KO of Izmailov. Another dead ball situation solved the game for us but unless some extraordinary mental revolution happens in this squad I fear a humongous thrashing in the coming round.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:howler::howler::howler::howler:

I can't watch the minor leagues play? :howler::howler::howler:
Let's see who's going to be the last Portuguese team to go out of Europe this season. :cool:

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
Bravo Mati.............I was bz at work and I couldn't watch a single minute...Very happy :cap: to hear you got the winner !!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts