Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Sporting plays today for a chance to be in the last 8 of the Europa League, match to take place in the City of Manchester stadium.

With a win at home all they need is a tie but it'll be super difficult against 3 of the best strikers in the world.

Starting Lineup:

Rui Patrício
Pereirinha - Xandão - Polga - Insúa
Daniel Carrico - Schaars
Izmailov - Matías Fernández - Diego Capel
Ricky van Wolfswinkel

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
I'll open your match thread when you face Real Madrid in the QFs, ok? :D

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
I think it will be a real miracle if we will manage to win this tie but then again who would have expected us to do so well in the first leg anyway? We have nothing to lose and morals couldn't be higher. Let the fiery character of Sá Pinto inspire our players for another historic night in England! :fero:

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
It will be interesting to see how Sporting will start the match.

An aggressive start would surprise City and, who knows, Sporting could even snatch a lucky goal.

If Sporting sits back, then we could be in for a massacre. There's no way Sporting will keep a score sheet with that attitude.

Should be a cracker.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
It will be interesting to see how Sporting will start the match.

An aggressive start would surprise City and, who knows, Sporting could even snatch a lucky goal.

If Sporting sits back, then we could be in for a massacre. There's no way Sporting will keep a score sheet with that attitude.

Should be a cracker.
I think the key to get a good result is to do exactly what we did in the first game which was something somehow in the middle between those two ways of approaching the game that you have just described. We gave the initiative of the game first to them but did it keeping enough pressure and not simply "sitting back". Afterwards we started being more bold offensively and right after scoring we could even have scored a second one. In the last 20' we again gave them back the initiative.

Of course that playing home and away in Europe are two radically different things and Man City has showed this season to be much much better when at home but still I think we know what to do to counter them.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I was talking about an aggressive start, not an attacking style throughout the whole game. City aren't used to that and they could be caught off-guard in the beginning. Sporting could capitalise on that and put City under immense pressure.

It will be extremely hard for Sporting regarldess of their approach to the game.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was talking about an aggressive start, not an attacking style throughout the whole game. City aren't used to that and they could be caught off-guard in the beginning. Sporting could capitalise on that and put City under immense pressure.

It will be extremely hard for Sporting regarldess of their approach to the game.
My comment wasn't meant for you but in general, of course they can't just sit back and do what the lower teams in our league do but an old school Boavista type of game should work.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Oooooh Xandão misses by very little after a corner. Good start from our side.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Matías is breaking some manc kidneys tonight

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Aimaresque dive by Matías in the box. This time the ref was right to book him.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts