Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as there's been talk already about this upcoming match already, it's time for a match thread. Not just because the match will be played on Friday-evening, but also because it will be a classic match, no matter what will happen. We'll meet our brothers and arch rivals from Donosti. Fact is, it will be the last ever derby in San Mamés...

ATHLETIC CLUB - REAL SOCIEDAD

Viernes 22/02/13 - 21:30
Bilbao (San Mamés)
Árbitro: Undiano Mallenco (Nafarroa)

La Liga table
1. FC Barcelona 24 - 63
2. Atlético Madrid 24 - 53
3. Real Madrid 24 - 49
4. Real Betis 24 - 42
6. Real Sociedad 24 - 37
15. Athletic Club 24 - 26
17. Real Zaragoza 24 - 24
- - - - - - - - - -
18. Celta de Vigo 24 - 20
19. Real Mallorca 24 - 18
20. Deportivo la Coruña 24 - 16

Recent form: Athletic Club (last five matches)
16/02 - Málaga - Athletic Club 1-0
10/02 - Athletic Club - Espanyol 0-4
01/02 - Real Valladolid - Athletic Club 2-2
27/01 - Athletic Club - Atlético Madrid 3-0
21/01 - Real Betis - Athletic Club 1-1

Recent form: Real Sociedad (last five matches)
17/02 - Levante - Real Sociedad 1-1
10/02 - Real Zaragoza - Real Sociedad 1-2
03/02 - Real Sociedad - Real Mallorca 3-0
26/01 - Celta de Vigo - Real Sociedad 1-1
19/01 - Real Sociedad - FC Barcelona 3-2

Last two defeats: 06/01, 4-3 to Real Madrid (away) and 04/11, 0-1 to Espanyol (home).

Last five league meetings in Bilbao
(Overall: 65 games, 37 victories, 17 draws, 11 defeats)
04/03/2012 - Athletic Club - Real Sociedad 2-0
23/04/2011 - Athletic Club - Real Sociedad 2-1
27/08/2006 - Athletic Club - Real Sociedad 1-1
27/08/2005 - Athletic Club - Real Sociedad 3-0
09/04/2005 - Athletic Club - Real Sociedad 3-0

Last home defeat: 10/06/2001, 1-3.

Record with the referee (Undiano Mallenco - 30 matches)
Won: 6 - (20,00%)
Drawn: 9 - (30,00%)
Defeats: 15 - (50,00%)

Team news
Athletic Club:
Ok, it's very likely we'll miss Ekiza, Amorebieta, Gurpegi, De Marcos and Muniain because of injuries.

Player to watch out for
La Real have simply got a good bunch of player. It's hard to name one particular player, but if I had to, I'd say Griezmann.

Conclusion
Yup, it might be clear. Erreala are experiencing a brilliant season and they're in a great form. Actually they're completely experiencing the opposite from us, where in Bilbao everything seems to go wrong, some more kilometres east everything seems to go great.
Add with that we're missing our most important defender which normally means our defence is too weak, and last match even Aduriz started to miss absolute sitters, on forehand we should be pretty chanceless against this good side in form.
However, just look at the history, La Real won't be happy to travel to San Mamés. If there's anyone who can stop their run it's us, at home, in la Cathedral. It's always a special match, but it's even more special right now, the last every derby in San Mamés. The players will realise that too, hopefully. I'm sure, if for once, the player will play with their hearts, we can win this match. Also I'm pretty sure, the players know that too.
Aupa Athletic! :fero:

My prediction: 2-1

Let's finish with a historical derby in San Mamés, the one in which we won the title :proud:.

2Las9Hws_zc

·
Registered
160 Posts
MASSIVE game on so many levels. Last derby at San Mames, trying to fend off thoughts of relegation, trying to ruin Sociedad's party this season, a win would be great on so many levels. However, all the injuries the team has accumulated aren't going to make things any easier and this would already be a tough fixture even with our finest 11.

Normally, I'd agree with 2-1 in a derby at San Mames. The passion, heart, energy from the fans, etc. would normally conspire against Sociedad. This season however, I don't know what to expect. I think a draw would be a good result, all things considered. Absolutely must AT LEAST get points from the next 2 derbies. 6 would be unreal, 4 would be outstanding, and 2 would be manageable in my opinion. All I ask is that this team plays like it knows whats at stake, that's all. No nonsense defending, minimal mental errors, half decent finishing. It's been a lot to ask for this season but this is a HUGE game.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Agree Star.

One thing we need to avoid is this ****ing obsession with building from the back at every juncture with our relatively new CH pairing and the chronic distribution skills of our keepers.

Other sides know we do it every bloody time and can press high up the field with no danger to their defensive capacity.

I'd like to play a 4-4-2 with Llorente and Aritz up front and play it long to mix things up.

Name me one central defensive pairing that would fancy an aerial battle with these two?..

It doesn't fit with MB's system and style of play but it can't be any worse and it gives the opposition something different to think about rather than our all too predictable insipid,impotent and toothless possession game.

We simply don't have the ability to break down defences with our lack of pace and inability to register shots on target.

If it doesn't work then revert to type but FFS lets try something that might work rather than sticking with something that patently doesn't.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I agree btw that if we continue to play in the current system we will be lucky to get a draw..Donosti are a handful for most teams and we are worse than most teams.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely must AT LEAST get points from the next 2 derbies. 6 would be unreal, 4 would be outstanding, and 2 would be manageable in my opinion. All I ask is that this team plays like it knows whats at stake, that's all. No nonsense defending, minimal mental errors, half decent finishing. It's been a lot to ask for this season but this is a HUGE game.
:thumbsup:

Completely agree, although I think this game versus Erreala could be a true turning point, if (!) the team plays with heart and passion we can win this game, I'm sure.

I'd like to play a 4-4-2 with Llorente and Aritz up front and play it long to mix things up.

Thoughts?
I'd personally consider it, but I'm pretty sure Bielsa won't, and certainly he won't start with Llorente, that would be a huge surprise to me.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I know,it's unlikely...

..Llorente will be long gone in Turin and we'll be in La Segunda because of stubbornness and reluctance to play a great striker...who is worse off?..exactly!

Lets get one thing straight...Fernando Llorente has done nothing wrong and conducted himself with more dignity that our club through this fiasco where they discussed his terms in public and hired a bunch of ****ing meatheads to protest at training as well as encouraging the public to turn against him.

It is unheard of for a club to disclose details about a players ongoing contract talks and try and besmirch him.

Paying his wages and not playing him is frankly ****ing ridiculous when we actually need him right now and anyone who disagrees is equally ridiculous.

Basque pride over relegation?...

·
Registered
947 Posts
All those people from "Herri Norte" love Bielsa because he won't start with Llorente... It is ridicculous to me, I love Athletic thousand times more than any kind of Basque pride.. I wouldn't start with Llorente, too, if Athletic was good enough and not in a crisis situation... But this way...?
And now, Llorente does also not want to give all for the club anymore, same as Amorebieta.. They both hate Athletic because of the 'fans' and the managers... I think.

Won't win against Sociedad I fear... :( the players all suck right now and play half-hearted...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree with you 100% tarquin, as I'm sure most Athletic fans would agree after having watched this season unfold. We really have seen the positives and the negatives of 'El Loco.' Last season, it was magical and some of the most beautiful futbol ever played by Athletic. This season, it's the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. I guess you take the good with the bad in life, right? Whatever.

I hate the building up from the back, to be quite honest. I don't know for sure who it was, but against Malaga one of our players attempted a back heel pass INSIDE OF OUR OWN PENALTY AREA! The other Athletic player, rightfully so, had no idea the back heel was coming and was caught completely off guard. The ball was intercepted and I believe Malaga either got a shot or a corner out of it. Either way, it was one of the dumbest things I've seen in a long time. We were lucky it didn't cost us right away. Our keepers can't pass the ball long and while Laporte looks to be an excellent distributor in the making, it doesn't seem too smart to have such a young player handling the ball under pressure so frequently. Then on the other hand, usually Gurpegi isn't someone you want distributing the ball and while San Jose's a good passer, his skills all seem to erode whenever he's playing defense and not midfield.

I'm with you in theory, when it comes to Aduriz and Llorente, but at this point I'd rather the team just not use Llorente at all. I'll never understand what the "game plan" was for Fernando this season. The whole handling of the situation screams of something behind the scenes, maybe with Urrutia giving Bielsa his opinion on how things should be handled. I can't see Bielsa being the one deciding to leave him on the bench, use him as a sub for 20 minutes, etc.

However, if the team is going to use Llorente anyway, then I think having him start the game with Aduriz up front is the best solution we currently have. We'll be missing a bunch of key players on Friday, especially in the midfield and in defense. I think it would be smart to offset the loss of an extra midfielder by using Fernando.

In the end, I'm sure we'll see the same standard formation we've seen all year. No reason to think Bielsa would change his ways at this point in the season.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Good points Star and the vacant midfield was,like you,my rationale for advocating a double strike partnership.

It will be something they (Donosti) haven't experienced in defence but it is also forward thinking and therefore something we are unlikely to experience.

I just can't believe how staid and inflexible we are...delusional is a more realistic moniker...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kaixo

I may be able to get to Bilbao unexpectedly this Friday. My usual contacts in Donosti can't get hold of any spare tickets. Does anyone know if the BBVA machines will still be selling them?

Esker Mila!

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kaixo

I may be able to get to Bilbao unexpectedly this Friday. My usual contacts in Donosti can't get hold of any spare tickets. Does anyone know if the BBVA machines will still be selling them?

Esker Mila!
Welcome on here.

There will be general sale only if the 'socios barria' doesn't sell out, but that seems quite unlikely to me. On Thursday starts the general sale so it might be sold out on Friday. It's the BBK machines btw.

http://www.athletic-club.net/web/main.asp?a=1&b=3&c=6&d=0&idi=1

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
This will be a sell out...no doubt.

I went to this fixture on Easter Saturday 2011 and the ambiance was unreal.The streets were absolutely packed with both sets of fans drinking together.

The k.o. wasn't until 10pm so everyone was very merry!

I remember not a lot about the game except we won 2-1 and I seem to recall a JM24 own goal.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Blue and white stripes.

Thats our problem.

We are struggling to beat teams who line up wearing those colours and so far this season have managed just one win in 8 attempts.

Malaga 0-0 and 1-0
Depor 1-1 (after leading and missing a fistful of chances)
Espanyol 3-3 and 0-4
Donosti 2-0
Valladolid 2-0 (win) and 2-2

And there was me blaming Bielsa.....!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
So we must force Donosti to wear their away-kits! :D
Then all this should not be a problem anymore and Athletic will dump them.

Or not...? :/

·
Registered
160 Posts
So if Bielsa sticks with the usual formation, does that mean we'll get to see Igor Martinez? I wouldn't mind that. A great stage for him to prove himself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kaixo

Thanks for the info!
I am still not sure whether to just jump on a plane and try buying a ticket off a scalper/tout.
I did that back in April 2005 and paid 70 euros for a 25 euro ticket! As i am sure you are all aware Athletic won 3-0. Overcharged and thoroughly beaten!!!!

When i get a minute I will add my story to the thread on how I ended up being Txuri Urdin.

Aurrera Mutilak!

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
€25 for a ticket, the good old times :hopeful:

Nice to see an Erreala fan, we're with too much supporting Athletic on here ;).

I'm not going to wish you good luck though ;).

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Im not saying Erreala hasnt had a god season but their current La Liga record is helping them a lot.

They have played the last 6 (maybe 7) games 11 against 10, yes it sounds crazy but its true. In 6 straight games their opponents have got a red card!

Levante, Zaragoza, Mallorca, Celta, Barcelona, La Coruna have all played one man down so maybe they are in a little higher position than they deserve...

Actually when i count it again its 8 games in a row....

Madrid and Seville also had players sent off... how is this possible?

Hmmm

1 - 20 of 127 Posts