Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an interview of El Chino, Alvaro Recoba, done by the French monthly mag Onze Mondial of the month of May 2002. It's a very interesting one. Enjoy!:)

Onze-Mondial: How far will Uruguay go in the World Cup?
Alvaro Recoba: I am convinced that we will be surprise package of this World Cup. We have a young team, with a very bright future ahead of us. We will show our worth.

OM: Uruguay has not played in a World Cup since 1990. Don't you fear in a way a kind of lack of experience in the key moments?
AR: The back-bone of the team is composed of players who have been playing in for a long time in the biggest leagues in Europe, and they have been playing in European Cups regularly. I do not think that this will be our main problem.

OM: What will be your main problem then?
AR: The real problem is level of the group in which we have been drawn! It is a very difficult group with a very high level. France are literally out of our reach. As a matter of fact, i am convinced that they will reach the final again. As to Senegal and Denmark, they are two very dangerous opponents. In fact it will all depend on our first game against Denmark; if we beat Denmark, then i'm persuaded that we will get through to the 2nd roung. This match will be extremely important, specially psychologically.

OM: You are the big star of this team, but Uruguay has other assets...
AR: Yes, lots of! Montero is our leader: he is experienced and has charisma. I hope that he will be in good physical conditions, because he was really not lucky with injuries all season long with Juventus. There's also Guigou, of Roma, who's a fundamental player for his versatility and polyvalence in midfield and the forwards Magallanes and Dario Silva. But watch out at our other defenders, Sorondo and Lembo. Finally, there are lots of young interesting players, like Chevanton or Giacomazzi, who for their first season in Italy, have shown some nice things with Lecce.

OM: What's your role on the field when you play with your National Team?
AR: It's like with Inter; it depends on the situations! I often play like a 2nd forward behind Dario Silva. Sometimes as a #10, behind the 2 forwards.

OM: Who will be World Champions?
AR: France or Argentina. I think that the title will not escape to one of these 2 teams.

OM: Who will be superstar of this World Cup?
AR: Ronaldo. Even tough i don't really like the current Brasil team. Raul and Zidane also. Zizou is the one who taught me how a real champion has to be decisive at key moments.

OM: Not a word on Italy, that a lot of people are seeing to go very far?
AR: Italy are very strong, but i don't believe they will arrive at the World Cup with lots of players who will be at their top, physically. The Italian league is very demanding and stressful: make the total
of the players injured and you will see that it is in Italy that there is the most! Trappattoni can count on an exceptional offensive line, a very solid defence but their midfield is largely inferior to the midfield of the other favorites.

OM: For Uruguay, what does it represent to participate in the finals of a World Cup?
AR: It is difficult to understand for a European, as in our country, there's a unique passion. Behind la Celesta, there's the whole people. Uruguay is a small country but, in here, we live of bread and football. It's even stronger than in Brasil."

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I wonder what DiBiagio and C.Zanetti think about these statementts hahahah Recoba is just starting to mature in the last year or so.

And his thoughts about being decisive when it counts are true. He has played brilliantly in all crunch matches this season.

But he still has to think through what he says hahahahah how can he say that about C.Zanetti and DIBiagio the man is hilarious :D:D:D

We'll see if all 3 of these players remain at INTER next season :D:D:D tsk tsk tsk only Chino.

Hilarious ****

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Well atleast he was being honest, and u cant compare Zannetti & Di Biagio to Zidane & Viera, or Figo & Rui Costa. However he shouldn't have said that considering.

·
Registered
655 Posts
hope Chino can have a good time in WC:) :D

BTW, Italy will be the CHAMPION this time;)

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Chino speaks the sad truth for Italia fans..

Christiano.. bah

Di Bi.... bah

Avante Brazil! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts