GROUP H
Matchday 6

Estádio José Alvalade, Lisbon
10 December 2015, 21:05 CET
28,211 att.
Ref: Manuel Gräfe (GER)

x

SPORTING CP 3-1 Besiktas (TUR)
(Slimani 67', Bryan Ruiz 72', Teo Gutiérrez 78'; Mario Gomez 58')

Europa League's group stage ends today with a final for us. We need a win to be sure we go through to the knockouts (a draw will also do if Skenderbeu beats Lokomotiv).

In spite of the many voices that within the club claim that this should not be our priority I have a feeling that JJ really wants to win this one and the list of players called seems to prove me right. He called practically the same players he usually does when we have league games and I think our starting XI will not differ much from the one that has been more regular this season.

I think we are the best team of this group and although Besiktas are right now the best side in Turkey I think we can beat them.

So, here's the group of players called by Jorge Jesus for the match:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like JJ is taking Europe more serious than he says publicly lol.
He never said the opposite but you can't play a whole season with the same XI. He didn't do it when he reached two back to back EL finals when he was wat SLB and he will not do it here.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only 90 seconds played and João Mário hits the target but the shot is saved by the keeper.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quaresma creates danger with a supern trivela cross and Mario Gomez flukes it ridiculously.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not a good first half by Sporting partly due to the good and high pressure made by Besiktas but also thanks to an unusual amount of misplaced passes that just break any sort of tempo from our side.

Some of our players are not yet on top physical form (William and Jefferson) while others are just not having a good game so far tonight (Naldo, Montero and Slimani).

If we want to go through we need to play the double of what he did in the first half and for that to happen we need the speed and skills of Gelson and Matheus.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Half time stats:

SCP 0-0 BJK

6 Shots 4
2 Shots On Target 1
77% Pass Accuracy 70%
8 Fouls 5
3 Corners 1
55% Ball Possession 45%