UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE 2015/2016

GROUP H
Matchday 5

Stadion Lokomotiv, Moscow
26 November 2015, 19:00 CET

Ref: Antonio Mateu Lahoz (ESP)

x

Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS) 2-4 SPORTING CP

I will not be exaggerating if I say that there is a substantial part of Sporting fans that would not mind seeing us not qualifying for the knockout stages of the Europa League. In the past I used to criticize the attitude of both English and Italian sides who used to constantly field second tier sides when playing in this competition but now I started to understand them better. The amount of prize money that a club gets from EL is ridiculous when compared with the CL and the increasing lack of prestige of this trophy is of UEFA's making. If they started sharing more equally the prize money between their only two club competitions I am sure that clubs would regain the respect towards this tournament.

Having said so, and also looking at the list of players that travelled to freezing Moscow, I don't think we will field a team as different as our regular one, at least compared to the one that had such a poor display in Albania in the previous matchday.

From the regular starting XI, Rui Patrício (suspended), Jefferson, William and Teo Gutiérrez (injured) did not travel. Also Bruno Paulista and Carlos Mané are injured and did not go to Russia. Youngsters Stojkovic (nephew of the current Serbia keeper and ex-SCP player) and Podence joined the first team.

So, here's the group of players called by Jorge Jesus for the match:

Goalkeepers:
22 Marcelo Boeck, 26 Azbe Jug and 88 Vladimir Stojkovic.

Defenders:
21 João Pereira, 47 Ricardo Esgaio, 15 Paulo Oliveira, 44 Naldo, 55 Tobias Figueiredo, 5 Ewerton and 3 Jonathan Silva.

Midfielders:
6 Aquilani, 17 João Mário, 23 Adrien, 20 Bryan Ruiz and 28 André Martins.

Forwards and Wingers:
60 Gelson Martins, 73 Matheus Pereira, 56 Daniel Podence, 10 Fredy Montero, 8 Tanaka and 9 Slimani.

If we want to maintain hopes to qualify, only a win will do.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the line-up and bench:

22 Marcelo Boeck

47 Ricardo Esgaio - 44 Naldo - 5 Ewerton - 3 Jonathan Silva

23 Adrien

60 Gelson Martins - 17 João Mário - 20 Bryan Ruiz

10 Fredy Montero - 73 Matheus Pereira

Subs: 26 Azbe Jug, 21 João Pereira, 55 Tobias Figueiredo, 6 Aquilani, 28 André Martins, 56 Daniel Podence and 9 Slimani.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5' 1-0 to Lokomotiv by Maicon.

After a good start by Sporting, Lokomotiv scores in their first attack. Maicon was offside but it seems from the replay that the ball came from Adrien which means the goal is legal.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matheus shoots at the keeper after a good attacking move.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I have read the open post... Lokomotiva lead, as it was expected, cause after defeat from Skender, and don't think that Sporting want's in next phase of competition.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOO

1-1

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Esgaio's cross from the right is well met by Montero in the box. 1-1 after 20'.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great chance for Sporting with Gelson's shot being saved for a corner by the keeper.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

BRYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIZ

2-1

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a splendid goal by Bryan Ruiz after a great one-two with Montero, the Costa Rican finish is sublime. Deserved lead for Sporting at 39'.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dangerous counter by Sporting with Ruiz again finishing with a header that went just wide.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

3-1

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Montero again decisive finding Gelson unmarked (and offside) and the whizzkid finished with the ball between the keeper's legs. 3-1 for Sporting at 42'.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great first half by Sporting completely dominating the Russians who were lucky to score in their only attack and thanks to a misplaced pass by Adrien. Only a team oozing confidence could come back in the decisive way we did still during this first half.

Great display by our midfield trio Adrien-João Mário-Bryan Ruiz backed by a solid game by our two CBs and some great runs by Gelson and Esgaio.

The Portuguese midfielder of Loko, Manuel Fernandes, said a couple of days ago that Sporting was a better team than his own side, and here is a clear proof of that.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Half time stats:

LOK 1-3 SCP

1 Shots 8
1 Shots On Target 6
70% Passing accuracy 86%
6 Fouls 11
0 Corners 1
36% Ball Possession 64%