GROUP H
Matchday 3

Estádio José Alvalade, Lisbon
22 October 2015, 19:00 CET
20,567 att.
Ref: Clayton Pisani (MLT)

x

SPORTING CP 5-1 KF Skënderbeu (ALB)
(Aquilani 38' pen., Fredy Montero 41' pen., Matheus Pereira 65', 78', Tobias Figueiredo 69'; Jashanica 89')

I'll miss the first half of this one today but I hope that by half time we have already done enough not to worry about it, just like we did against Vilafranquense last weekend for the Cup. It is no secret that Sporting's players, fans and coach (he said it himself yesterday in the pre-match press conference) are already thinking about Sunday's derby and that will be reflected in the line-up of this match. It is expected that JJ will field a team with players that will not start on Sunday but nevertheless it is important to win this game.

I'd like to see us starting with this XI:

Marcelo Boeck
João Pereira - Naldo - Ewerton - Jonathan Silva
Adrien
Carlos Mané - André Martins - Matheus Pereira
Montero - Slimani​

Let's see if JJ think the same.

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
i'll miss the 1st half too, so they better save the goals for the 2nd half:D

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The list of players called is out:

Goalkeepers:
1 Rui Patrício and 22 Marcelo Boeck.

Defenders:
21 João Pereira, 47 Ricardo Esgaio, 5 Ewerton, 44 Naldo, 55 Tobias Figueiredo and 3 Jonathan Silva.

Midfielders:
14 William Carvalho, 30 Bruno Paulista, 6 Aquilani and 28 André Martins.

Forwards and Wingers:
60 Gelson Martins, 36 Carlos Mané, 73 Matheus Pereira, 10 Fredy Montero, 9 Slimani and 8 Tanaka.

JJ rests Paulo Oliveira, Jefferson, Adrien, Bryan Ruiz and Teo Gutiérrez. João Mário is suspended for this game.

·
Registered
59,067 Posts
2 or 3 weeks ago, I brought Adrien and Rui Patricio in my EL fantasy team for this game :doh:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 or 3 weeks ago, I brought Adrien and Rui Patricio in my EL fantasy team for this game :doh:
Golden rule of any Fantasy Footy: don't buy players weeks in advance before a match. :D

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sporting's XI:

1 Rui Patrício

47 Ricardo Esgaio - 55 Tobias F. - 5 Ewerton - 3 Jonathan Silva

30 Bruno Paulista

28 André Martins - 6 Aquilani - 36 Carlos Mané

10 Fredy Montero - 73 Matheus Pereira

Subs: 22 Marcelo Boeck, 21 João Pereira, 44 Naldo, 14 William Carvalho, 60 Gelson Martins, 8 Tanaka and 9 Slimani.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got home earlier than I expected so only missed the first 5'. :)

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dear me, what a chance! Montero first and then Mané forcing the keeper and the defenders to some miracle defending.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At 23' Salihi from Skenderbeu sees the second yellow and he is off. He saw the first for dissent and now the second for playing the ball inside our box with his hand.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

AQUILAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANI

1-0

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sporting finally opens the score at 37' from the spot after Montero was tripped inside the box. More than deserved lead.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

MONTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERO

2-0

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Almost a copycat from the previous situation inside the Albanians box: Montero is tripped in almost the exact same spot inside the box and it's a pen.

This time El Avioncito himself scores from the spot. 2-0 at 41' and Skenderbeu should be happy that the ref didn't book the defender that made this foul as he was already on a yellow.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A patient and intelligent first half by Sporting played at a moderate tempo but fast enough to show the huge gap in quality that exists between the two sides.

The Albanians are playing, as expected, with 11 men behind the ball and whenever they had the chance for a counter they never seemed to be able to create a proper goal chance, They in fact had one from a long range direct free kick but Patrício saved very well.

Sporting created a lot in the last third and could have opened the score much earlier with chances by Montero, Mané and André Martins but it ended up being through two penalties, both thanks to clumsy fouls on the always very talented Montero, that Sporting reached this good two goals lead. It's always a tricky score because one goal can always put the other team back in the game so hopefully we will only rest when we get the 3rd.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts