Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for Christmas films and encountered these two pages which seem pretty sweet, almost too good to be true. I've only browsed so far, you can watch around 20 minutes from each film without signing up. The a/v quality is usually good, subtitles seem pro, and the selection is crazy. A ton of the films by the great directors like Tarkovsky, Sokurov, Kieslowski, Svankmajer, even some Fassbinder in the "East German" section. But not just the acclaimed auteur films, popular classics as well. A lot of this stuff doesn't exist on bluray or anywhere else on the web, certainly not in good quality with subs.

https://sovietmoviesonline.com/
https://easterneuropeanmovies.com/

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
yeah the easterneuropeanmovies site is worth it for Tarr, Wajda and Kieslowski alone...too bad they don't have anything from Forman

so you can download everything without restrictions if you buy a monthly pass?

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the easterneuropeanmovies site is worth it for Tarr, Wajda and Kieslowski alone...too bad they don't have anything from Forman

so you can download everything without restrictions if you buy a monthly pass?

Yeah, I've been wondering about the same, whether they'd be time-limitted downloads of some sort. The FAQ doesn't seem clear about it.

Cinemateket in Copenhagen has a Wajda retrospective in early 2019 btw, so I was gonna check out some of his films then. I believe I've seen only his relatively recent Katyn, which was ok, but had a "semi-retired great director" feel to it.

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they're showing those two and a few others from the 70's + his early WWII trilogy.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
I forgot to post about it here but I did buy the subscription of easterneuropeanmovies in summer and it worked well. (Thanks for the tip Mo)

It was pretty expensive though: $30 for one month (paypal). Downloads were unlimited and fast (as long as you only downloaded one movie at a time...it didn't like when you tried to d/l multiple movies at the same time as the speed slowed down significantly).

There were some movies in HD quality (Forman's stuff for example) but most were like 1.5Gb files. All had English subs and sometimes other languages too.

It had quite an interesting and wide selection...Jeff might be interested in a movie based on T. Vesaas "Birds" (Polish movie called Matthew's Days).

Some other movies I'd recommend: SexMission (POL; Jerzy Stuhr movie), Promising Boy (YUG), House in the Woods (CZE), Top Dog (POL; another Jerzy Stuhr movie), Valierie and Her Week of Wonders (CZE), Daisies (CZE) ...and of course Intimate Lighting (CZE; main reason why I bought the subscription, as I really wanted to rewatch this and couldn't find it anywhere else).

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice, I never got around to testing the site except watching a few half-movies, which you were allowed to do without subscription.

I recently discovered this site/blog:

It seems to be user-driven and offers a staggering amount of classics and arthouse films (more than 7000 titles), constantly updated. Some seriously obscure stuff there too, some out-of-print, and some brand new. The quality varies, most of it not HD, but ok decent. And something I like is they'll often include the extra features and commentary tracks from Criterion, Kino Lorber and the other labels. I honestly don't understand how they can keep it going without getting floored by lawsuits. One needs nitroflare.com subscription to download, though, which is around 12-15 euros for a month.

The Swedish library is probably still my #1, I mostly use the other site to fill out the "gaps."

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They have Daisies too, btw, have been meaning to watch it for a while, me obviously being quite a feminist.

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's a wonderful movie, very fun.

It's in this handful of 1960s-1970s films by female directors that are good to know if you get questions from women about lack of representation or why you like Westerns and so on, along with:

Wanda (1970, Barbara Loden). One-hit-wonder.

A New Leaf (1971), The Heartbreak Kid (1972), Mikey and Nicky (1976) by Elaine May, who was Mike Nichols' comedic partner since back in the early days of TV, though she is funnier than him, imo.

Jeanne Dielmann (1975, Chantal Akerman). Differs from Daisies, apparently, in that it's 3 times as long, and "boring."

Directed by men, but still allowed in this canon:

Celine and Julie Go Boating (1974, Rivette)
A Woman Under the Influence (1974, Cassavetes)

Film which is even tougher going that Akerman, and therefore optional, since most will not have heard of it anyway: India Song (1975, Maguerite Duras). Might be used as a last trump if one is in imminent danger of being downright cancelled.

EDIT: Forgot to list Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962, Agnes Varda).

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Here are a few in the last decade from my neck of the woods.

Cirkus Columbia by Danis Tanovic. I think y'all enjoy it.
Halima's Path is also very good.
Zvizdan may be slow paced for some. Still cool imo
Sonja and the Bull is a decent little romantic comedy. Leading actor Goran Bogdan who was also in Fargo Season 3

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are a few in the last decade from my neck of the woods.

Cirkus Columbia by Danis Tanovic. I think y'all enjoy it.
Halima's Path is also very good.
Zvizdan may be slow paced for some. Still cool imo
Sonja and the Bull is a decent little romantic comedy. Leading actor Goran Bogdan who was also in Fargo Season 3

I did see No Man's Land, which I guess is the classic regarding the Yugoslav War, and one that all the parties can more or less accept, as I understand? It surely helps, in that regard, that much of the "blame" is the directed outward, at Simon Callow's snooty shakespeare actor high ranking WE officer. The film is sort of high concept, of course, and heavily allegorical, like a 1960s European artfilm, The Seventh Seal and so on, which was also the heyday of EE cinema, fittingly. But it isn't quite so Serious and heavy going.

·
Registered
57,300 Posts
imho, Chico is a way better a movie about the Yug war than the No Man's Land, it also has other aspects of life in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts