Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 379 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 Live says you have agreed a fee with Fulham, just have to agree terms with the player.

better than Carroll but not really top top class is he ?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
35 years old, one for the future?

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
He's 35 in October.

And he's absolutely top class. 2nd best keeper in the league behind Cech I think. When you're playing behind people like Goma, Knight, Rehman and co (hell Bocanegra and Volz are Fulham's only two half decent defenders, maybe Rosenior) you aren't going to look too good. He's a short term solution and a sign that Fergie still believes Howard can be long term #1 I think.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
2-3 million for a short term solution when they should have gone for a good keeper with his best years ahead of him.

Typical Fergie when it comes to Keepers. Bosnich, Ricardo, Carrol, Taibi, Howard and now Van Der Saar.

Wouldn't money be better spent on the likes of Paul Robinson?

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Robinson would have cost three times as much. Really what world class keepers are available at the moment? Imo it's a smart move to get someone to hold the fort while either Howard improves or a keeper with world class potential emerges so he can snap him up. Cech, Dida, Buffon and Ikerman are all with top clubs as it is. Perhaps he wants to wait for the next goalie who looks like he could make that class to emerge?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Robinson would have cost three times as much. Really what world class keepers are available at the moment? Imo it's a smart move to get someone to hold the fort while either Howard improves or a keeper with world class potential emerges so he can snap him up. Cech, Dida, Buffon and Ikerman are all with top clubs as it is. Perhaps he wants to wait for the next goalie who looks like he could make that class to emerge?
He's been doing that since Schmeichael left and it's done him no favours.

How long is he going to keep trying short term solutions until the right one comes along?

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Bosnich, Howard and Barthez were all supposed to be long term solutions. They didn't work out. That's why I think he's doing this until he spots someone he's sure about.

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
from United's site

Van Der Sar Signs

Manchester United have signed Edwin van der Sar from Fulham for an undisclosed fee.

The Dutch goalkeeper has signed a two-year contract and will join the club from 1 July.

:)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Bosnich, Howard and Barthez were all supposed to be long term solutions. They didn't work out. That's why I think he's doing this until he spots someone he's sure about.
We'll be having the same conversation in a decades time when Utd sign a 37 year old Paul Robinson as a stop gap until the right keeper comes along.

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
CardiffRed said:
We'll be having the same conversation in a decades time when Utd sign a 37 year old Paul Robinson as a stop gap until the right keeper comes along.
oh just concentrate on your goalkeeping problems :rollani:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
On the plus side we put 7 past him this season.

:D

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
KyleLeonard said:
oh just concentrate on your goalkeeping problems :rollani:
Which problem is that?

The one where we have to decide who to start out Englands U21 keeper, Kirkland, Dudek or Reina?

As a side note, Man Utd must have finally given up trying to convince Reina to turn down Liverpool and move to you.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Agreed with Rob that he's the second best keeper in the league, which I've said before so I'm not being biased. (this time) :pp

I'm very pleased with the signing, he's a top class keeper who has obviously got experience at the top level. We've got Ron-Robert Zeiler (sp?) Luke Steele and Tom Heaton, along with Tim Howard who are all under 24. Steele and Heaton have both shown tremendous potential, so VDS should be an excellent stopgap until they're ready to take their chances.

One of the few really sensible signings we've made recently. :D

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
CardiffRed said:
Wouldn't money be better spent on the likes of Paul Robinson?
how much do you reckon Fergie'll have to spend in the summer though?

if it's 10 m max, then VDS's a good move as a couple of more players are needed too for the midfield like perhaps Ji-Sung Park who I reckon would be a good move if you make him feel comfortable (took time for him to adapt to PSV too and luckily for him, he had Hiddink who knew him. At Feyenoord we had another Korean world cup star, Chung Gog Song , the man who stopped Figo in the WC but he completely failed and like only played 3 good games (his first game most memorably) cos of homesickness amongst others)

as for vd Sar, good move as he seems to be back to the form he was at Ajax 10 years ago after some barren years by his standards. Looks really hungry now too. I hope he'll be able to keep it up

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
KyleLeonard said:
When did we ever want some Barcelona reject?
Most of the season.

1 - 20 of 379 Posts