Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(this interview was published in Lance A Mais, a Brazilian weekly sports magazine; translated by Garrincha)

Lance – You never hide from anybody that you’re a Corinthians fan…
Edu – I don’t hide it because that was the club that projected me for football. I was practically born inside Corinthians, when I started playing I was four and a half years old, and spent almost 16 years in there. To this day, I know from the doorman to the president.

L – Corinthians barely escaped from relegation in the Paulistao (Sao Paulo state championship). How did they arrive at this point?
E – It’s not a matter of how Corinthians got there, but where Brazilian football is going to. It’s their own disorganization that’s sinking the clubs. If you have well-structured clubs, providing support for the players, with carefully-planned work, you see the results – like in Cruzeiro and Sao Paulo. But the disorganization is hurting the majority of clubs.

L – In the late 90s, when you won everything for Corinthians, was the situation this chaotic?
E – Corinthians won everything because they were organized. Vanderlei Luxemburgo set up a solid basis, Oswaldo de Oliveira (who took over after Luxemburgo left) didn’t change much… the soul of a good modern football team is, beyond the good players, time for the team to “gel” and gain 'entrosamento' (a Brasilian word for smooth collective gameplay). Arsenal is a good example of this, they’ve been together for 4, 5 years now.

L – What’s the main administrative difference between Brasilian and English football?
E – In Arsenal, two people are in charge: vice-president David Dean and manager Arsene Wenger. On Brasilian clubs, there’s a load of people “in charge”. You never know who has authority to make decisions and who doesn’t. In Arsenal you know who’s the boss. Who’s in charge of the team? Who looks for players for the club? Who has power of approval over a signing? It’s Arsene Wenger. Everything goes through him, nothing happens because the vice-president or director of football or whoever had a bright idea.

L – The Corinthians fans continue to make a lot of pressure over their team’s players. In a serious crisis, how far will an English fan go to protest?
E – That’s absurd. When I tell the other Arsenal players about what goes on in there, the locker rooms being invaded by angry fans, the aggressions, they don’t believe me. In England, I realized that the difficult moments, when the team is doing poorly, are when the supporters’ incentive is most necessary, like Palmeiras’ fans did when their team sank to the 2nd division, filling the stadiums to support the team.

L – You were 22 years old when you went abroad to play. What was the biggest obstacle for your adaptation?
E – I arrived in Europe in January, at the middle of the European season and immediately after the Brasilian season had ended; so everybody else was “flying”, with peak physical conditions, and I was exhausted. And there was more – so many negative things at the same time (in 2000, Edu’s left ankle was operated, his sister Fabricia died and his transfer to Arsenal was almost cancelled due to a false Portuguese passport) that I had problems adapting. The big problem is that you never think you’re in bad form. I wanted to play, do everything to help the team, but I couldn’t. I was unfit. I learned a lot.

L – What was the most important lesson you learned?
E – I realized that Premiership football is intensely competitive, hard to play. In the post-operation period, I started watching everything I could about the Premier League: “I have to learn how they play, expecting English football to adapt to me would be pointless.” I learned that there are no fouls in England, they use their body all the time, so you have to be physically strong.

L – Aren’t you afraid of this recent wave of terrorist attacks? (Edu’s son was born in March 11, the same day of the Madrid bomb attack)
E – No, I’m not. I know that London is a potential target. I try to be as careful as possible. I don’t take the subway on rush hours, and I avoid the center of the city when there are too many people. But we have to live, there’s no other way.

L – Since you arrived at Arsenal, this is the season when you’re being utilized most frequently. What will it take to leave that group of 15, 18 players that the manager always talks about, and enter the select group of 11?
E – The important thing is to be in the manager’s group. It’s pointless to crave a place among the 11 because there is a rotation in the squad. If you ask the players who the starters are, few of them will risk a guess. On each game there’s a different team.

L – What is it like to play among footballers who probably were your idols when you were in Corinthians, such as Bergkamp?
E – It’s very good. It’s like the story of the boy who played in Corinthians’ youth team until he was promoted to the pros, where he met Rincon and Gamarra. I arrived at Arsenal and stood beside Dennis Bergkamp, who I had watched in the 94 WC. Just like the Frenchmen Patrick Vieira and Robert Pires, world champions in 98. Today I’m their friend, we have dinner together, my wife goes out with their wives.

L – When will you get called to the Brasilian Team?
E – I don't know. I don't want to create expectations, especially because I respect everyone who currently participates in the Selecao, I'm almost Gilberto Silva’s brother. But I'm waiting for my chance. I feel prepared. And if I weren't prepared, I would be sincere and say so. I’m living a good moment. I play side-by-side with NT players from France, England, Holland, Cameroon, Nigeria. I face players from other National Teams, participate in the Champions League, I know the European style of playing. I am prepared for the challenge.

L – When Parreira and Zagallo visited Arsenal you didn’t play, right? (the Brazil NT manager watched Arsenal 2x0 Southampton, on February 10, in Highbury)
E – I had the pleasure of meeting them, but at that time the manager (Wenger) said that I would be rested because I had played three tough matches in a row.

L – Didn’t you feel like asking to play?
E – Do you think I kept quiet? “But sir, the technical staff of the Brazilian NT is here, I will have few chances like this in my life, I’m not tired at all”. But he said that it was for my own good. I tried again, insisted a little bit, but I stayed on the bench.

L – Did you speak with Parreira and Zagallo?
E – Yes, but we didn’t talk about the National Team because it wouldn’t be polite of me to touch that subject. We had a pleasant conversation, about Arsenal, English football, life in England…

L – Arsene Wenger doesn’t like to release his players to National Teams. Do you think he kept you on the bench to avoid future problems?
E – (laughter) I heard some rumours suggesting that, but I don’t want to believe them. I prefer not to believe them.

L – If you received a proposal to get another nationality and play for another NT, would you accept?
E – I want to fight for the Selecao. But it’s like that: if the Brasilian NT will never call you, if you know you’ll never get a chance, why not? If there’s another country interested… Now, the answer is no. But I might consider it in the future.

L – But how would you know that it’s time to give up and stop waiting?
E – Ah, I’ll be the first one to speak out when I really think that they won’t use me because I’m useless for the system of for the squad. I can “get a hint”. But for now, I’m cool, even because of my age. I still have plenty of time to get there. :)
:star:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
thanks for that Garrincha,very interesting ;)

well Edu doesn't have to wait anymore,he's a regular now and rightly so,he has been fantastic all season,was great again tonight at the Bridge.

i think he can become one of the best two way midfielders in the World,fantastic guy as well,one of the most popular players at Highbury and is THE most popular in the dressing room,13 players went to Brazil for his wedding,that's how much he is loved.

:star: EDU :star:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
thanx Garrincha alot

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Great article. Thanks a lot, Garrincha. :) :happy:

The first time I heard about Edu is when he led our youth team to big victory by demoliating another Premiership side in Reserves League with his playmaker skill. At the next season, he becomes regular substitute and same as important as other subs players like Parlour. Now, he really has shown his true class and quality and become starter replacing Gilberto Silva. He is the most improved player in Arsenal.

I love the way he celebrated his goal against Inter. Well...it's a good chance for him to celebrate goal a-la Serie A which is considered as unmanner by English FA. Hehe...that was a good time to show off afterall. :D

I love his loyalty.

:star: FORZA EDU :star:

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
edu is an excellent guy. In Corinthians he was greatly felt when he left. Played great for us and will always be welcomed back;)

I hop he come back to us one day;) :cool:

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
this boy can dribble........i was amazed....prolly some of the slickest moves i have seen....

pires skills looked like a chump next to edu last nite...and his tackling was spot on..........top notch player

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Jern,

I know that... but one day he will come back to teh club that made him;) Saw the game yesterday and he was the best in the pitch IMO;)

He has matured in his way of playinga lot since leaving Corinthians;) :cool:

·
63,337 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
He has matured in his way of playinga lot since leaving Corinthians;) :cool:

that's natural,yes,he was a kid when he left Brazil,now he is a man and he is proving that on the pitch.

I can't speak highly enough of him,Edu and Vieira for me are the perfect balance in central midfield. ;)

I hope he goes back to Corinthians as well,it is romantic :cool:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I think the credits should be also given to Wenger. I've just read a local sport tabloid and it has few article about Edu inside. It says that Edu nearly lost his confidence and failed to settle in the team if not because of Wenger. His sister death and his passport problems were huge blows to him. And he explained that how Arsène Wenger has been helping, motivating and supporting him all this time to get out from his crisis. For him, Wenger is his both mentor and savior. :proud:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
maybe one of the reasons Arsene chose Gilberto over Edu for the last season and this one is to toughen Edu
easy come easy go, you know
and make it clear in his head that he must work hard to gain his place then he'll get used to the hard work

I expect Gil to leave this summer
and another DMC (hope Tiage) will arrive

·
63,337 Posts
yes he came through a lot,i saw him on the street when he had his ankle in plaster,he had the passport stuff,his sister died,his family were robbed at gunpoint,he then broke his ankle and on his return pulled his hamstring after 15 minutes,then he scored the own goal. :eek:

he has shown great attitude to come through all that and now can be rightfully called a top class midfielder. ;)

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
you guys see his fancy footwork in the CL 1st leg vs chelski??

oh brilliant stuff, i was edge of my seat thinking he'll do another celta game shot.

·
63,337 Posts
he can be better than Petit,for me Petit in 2000 was the best midfielder in the World,Edu can become better,that's how much i rate him.

he can become almost as good as Paddy,almost :D

·
63,337 Posts
he'd get into CM for England,he is no good on the wing ;)

he's about a million times more talented than Butt,England should pray on bended knee he decides to play.

Scholes----Edu----Gerrard-----Beckham :D

however i would be against it,i hate all this adopting nationalities,it makes a mockery of International competition. :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts