Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first thing that really confused me is why we didn't go forward with our plans to get Edu. Time and time he mentioned before his willingness to join Barca... i dont know about everyone but to me it seemed perfect form every angle:

1. first and foremost his contract is nearly over so he would come on the cheap.

2. He would fit easily because the team is loaded with brazilians to it seem snatural that he may want to come and join us.

3. we have many injuries and Albertini is only a short term solution for only 6 months apart from the fact that albertini is 33 and Edu is 26 so Edu would be a good option for our midfield since he is younger.

4. he has good control and skill to fit into our possession football game style combined with his physical aspect... he would have been perfect for a 3 year deal at the least.

so many things in favor of him joining us specially that we are on the look out... and look now Valencia have him so damn it! if someone could help me understand better or if there is sometihng i've missed liek maybe his salary is too high or he doent have Eu pass or something... thanks

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Valencia signed him in October, as long as I read. At that time, we didn't have so many injuries in the midfield, so we didn't even consider it. I think that he was never an option.

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Valencia signed him in October, as long as I read. At that time, we didn't have so many injuries in the midfield, so we didn't even consider it. I think that he was never an option.
it was said that he signed a pre contract with them, but Valencia and Arsenal denied that he signed with them. We dont need to make Barcelona the brazilian national team, or we might face the same problem like we used to have when VG was the coach and he tried to get the whole Dutch National Team. Some might say that brazilians are different than dutch players in the way they think and play football.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Edu is more offensive, if we got him he will be a sub for either xavi or deco but not marquez because he cant play in the DM position, Albertini can play as a DM, and can play in the CL as well, when all injured players come back we will have: Motta and Edmilson "DM" Xavi Deco Iniesta Gerard "Central Midfielders" so if we also bring Edu with them our midfield will have more players than we need, remember Albertini is just for 6 months and barcelona got him for free

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Maybe we have an even better player in mind and Albertini, like you said, is the short term solution to something big. Edu is a good player but I wouldn't spend crazy money on him. I know he wouldn't have cost too much but I think that Barcelona team is fine now. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
one other thing i dont understand, maybe someone can fill me in...

why is it that we didnt try harder for ballack like at the beginning of the season? why did that deal fall thru? tell me, would he not have been perfect for the few slots now open to injury?

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Ballack would have been a great asset but we can not know what Rossel and the other guys in Barça had in mind or have in mind. Maybe they did try to get him but Bayern decided that he was not for sale. Also, Ballack seemed to be wanting to stay at Bayern at the beginning of the season. Now its actually a better time to try and snatch him since I hear that he does want to leave after the WC. I think that he wants to leave plain and simple and wants to show his skills outside of Germany so a deal for him is possible. :)

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
bayern asked too much for him(in the beginning they wanted 20M euro and after they asked 50M :googly: ) and were not prepared to spend such an amount of money for him!
we searched for another alternative and we found deco who's doing pretty well this season :thumbsup:

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
canadian cule said:
one other thing i dont understand, maybe someone can fill me in...

why is it that we didnt try harder for ballack like at the beginning of the season? why did that deal fall thru? tell me, would he not have been perfect for the few slots now open to injury?
Deco happened. ;)

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
fc barcelona said:
bayern asked too much for him(in the beginning they wanted 20M euro and after they asked 50M :googly: ) and were not prepared to spend such an amount of money for him!
we searched for another alternative and we found deco who's doing pretty well this season :thumbsup:
When a team goes from 20 to 50, it means that IF they HAVE to sell the player, they want to make the most out of it, clearly indicating that they preferred to keep him.

Deco is playing great, even better at times than in Porto IMO.

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
we don't need Edu, he just isn't good enough to be a starter. The only place he would fit in would be Deco's place and we all know that will never happen.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Moe said:
1. first and foremost his contract is nearly over so he would come on the cheap.
True, but not totally free such as Albertini. The board clearly felt that we should spend money on a striker rather than a DM because in the long term we have many DM but not so many strikers no?

Moe said:
2. He would fit easily because the team is loaded with brazilians to it seem snatural that he may want to come and join us.
Perhaps, but there are many more talented Brazilian players than Edu, and we have a younger DM in Thiago Motta.

Moe said:
3. we have many injuries and Albertini is only a short term solution for only 6 months apart from the fact that albertini is 33 and Edu is 26 so Edu would be a good option for our midfield since he is younger.
Exactly, we want a short term option because we have players like Motta and Edmilson who can play DM.

Moe said:
4. he has good control and skill to fit into our possession football game style combined with his physical aspect... he would have been perfect for a 3 year deal at the least.
To be honest, I think that is just your opinion. I have never really rated Edu, his form may have picked up near the end of last season but firstly, does not play DM, and secondly, I don't consider him very physical or possessing "good control and skill". We have players like Xavi, Deco, and Ronaldinho who possess those qualities, but Edu?

Moe said:
so many things in favor of him joining us specially that we are on the look out... and look now Valencia have him so damn it! if someone could help me understand better or if there is sometihng i've missed liek maybe his salary is too high or he doent have Eu pass or something... thanks
He also said that he wanted to sign for someone who could guarentee him a first team spot, which we could not offer him.

I don't see why you're so worried, Edu is not that great of a player and I don't feel we missed out on a whole lot.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Edu probably chose Valencia, because its the best place for him to get a starting spot with a relatively good team (personel wise).

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
O Glorioso said:
Edu probably chose Valencia, because its the best place for him to get a starting spot with a relatively good team (personel wise).
Probably Ranieri used to coach Chelsea so he has experience with players who come from the EPL, it might be any reason. But this one seems rational, he wants to play all the time every player does. Therefore, if he goes to Valencia and Ranieri knows his qualties he will be given first team spot all the time. Other coaches know his qualities but not as much as Ranieri does...

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
woops that went in the wrong thread

anyways what i was about to say is that i agree with what has been said by most of you on edu except that i think he is a bettter overall midfielder than Albertini... in any case i hope you're right puyol cule in that we didn tlose too much by not having him :)

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
if Barca next season thinking of Ballack or anyother Midfielder, I think they are thinking not to renew Gerard contract, and maybe another OM would be a good choise, yet Edu wouldn't start in Barca, and he knows it, so he went for Valencia.

he can't play in CL, cause he played early in the season with Arsenal, so I think.

I'd rather Barca look for a Center Back, and keep Marquez as a DM.

Visca el Barca.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing. I think Marquez is a bit too slow for the D and I would go for a CB in the next summer. That will add the final touch to the team.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts