Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edmundo's surprise call-up by Brazil

By AFP, 2000-05-29

RIO DE JANEIRO, May 29 (AFP) - Brazilian coach Wanderley Luxemburgo on Monday caused a surprise by calling up controversial Vasco Da Gama striker Edmundo for their 2002 World Cup qualifier against Peru.

The 29-year-old Edmundo, known as "the Animal" for his wild antics, is in the squad for the first time since the 1998 World Cup.

Edmundo told the Brazilian press on Monday he was surprised and happy to return to the national team after two years away.

He has completely recovered from a right ankle injury and has played well for his club in recent weeks, bringing about his selection for the June 4 game.

"I received the news with surprise and great joy," said Edmundo. "If I play just 10 minutes it will be a victory."

Brazil 20-man squad

Keepers: Dida (Corinthians), Carlos Germano (Santos)

Defenders: Cafu (Rome/Ita), Athirson (Flamengo), Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid/Spa), Antonio Carlos (Rome/Ita), Aldair (Rome/Ita), Claudio Cacapa (Atletico Mineiro), Emerson (Portuguesa)

Midfielders: Cesar Sampaio (Palmeiras), Emerson (Bayer Leverkusen/Ger), Vampeta (Corinthians), Ze Roberto (Bayer Leverkusen/Ger), Alex (Palmeiras), Denilson (Betis/Spa), Rivaldo (Barcelona/Spa)

Strikers: Giovane Elber (Bayern Munich/Ger), Amoroso (Parma/Ita), Franca (Sao Paulo), Edmundo (Vasco da Gama)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Its so ggod to see the animal back.....Luxemburgo is starting to find his track, despite the lack of coherence bynot calling Ronaldinho as he said he would!
But with Edmundo, all we need is Romario to come back, and we will be in top flight again!

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
Pelo Corinthians, com muito amor ate o fim.
A Corrente Jamais Sera Quebrada!
THE WORLD IS OURS

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Edmundo will start the game :)
Luxemburgo knows what he is doing, he needs a strong team to cope with the pressure in Peru, as the Peruvians are treating this game as a political game, cause of all the Fujimori political issues. So they will come with everything agaisnt us! :( But hopefully we wil get a good win, and get some peace :)

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
THE WORLD IS OURS

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Is it only me who hates Edmumdo if being a careless, manslaughterer?

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
I don't like him personally, as he is a Vasco player and played many years fot Palmeiras..but he is a brilliant player....and his stupidities are quite funny, except the car crash that killed 3 people. :(

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
THE WORLD IS OURS

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
For me that weighs heavily on my mind!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i HATE edmundo. i would never pick him for the team, because it is supposed to be a TEAM, not 21 players and edmundo.

edmundo only cares about himself. i can understand selecting edmundo for one game. but i would NEVER take him to a tournament like the copa america or world cup, where the players have to be like a family for 2 weeks or a month, because he would make trouble.

edmundo is not the only person who is surprised he is on the team!

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Common falcao,
when you need Edmundo he is always their.
Yesterday in the COpa do Brasil, Vasco were losing 2x0 and Edmundo scored the 2 goals....he always gets the balll and decides the game, cause he knows he is brilliant :)
He was the only player that gave his blood in the final agasnt France...unlike the other twats (except Dunga)

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
THE WORLD IS OURS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts