Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steaua v Fiorentina

Having exited the Champions League, Fiorentina must now qualify for the UEFA Cup to maintain our continental status. In order to do this, we need a point. There is just one problem, each and every team that has played against us has taken at least one point away from us and that includes Steaua, which gives us a realistic chance of losing the game.

Personally, entering the UEFA Cup wouldn't be so bad, we can come up against Milan or Man City or Valencia or Sevilla or um...er...Portsmouth.

The point is that this is the last UEFA Cup they are running until they destroy this beautiful competition and I have always wanted this trophy. It is traditionally one of the purest marks of respect and winning it has always given you household status. Furthermore, we have never won a European trophy and it's about bloody time we stamp our authority up there. Even the great Parma have won one, but not us.

Prandelli was talking about how imporatant it is to win the game. "in recent years, this team has always gone out to win matches and I'd prefer to see a team that walks out tomorrow with the same desire. We know it will be difficult but we're not frightened. We'll be up against a really motivated side, but then so are we".

Damn right. Those guys best be motivated. Last year Rosenborg came down to meet us in the UEFA Cup, this year we could well be coming down to meet them. It makes me wonder though, if Europe is just a big fat distraction for us. Do we need to concentrate domerstically? Can we really compete for the Serie A title? Too many questions, not enough quality players and a defense that makes my head hurt........

...The club is going through a really rough time, and it's not soemthing that can be solved by a few wins....

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I think it's better for Fiorentina to concentrate on Serie A ... :)

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Uefa Cup is going to be canceled? :eek:

·
Registered
70,710 Posts
It´s a pity to go against you guys and against Mutu, but Hai Steaua!

BTW Mutu uses to be bad received in many stadiums, but there isn´t a stadium on Earth with more hate towards Mutu than the Steaua one. He will have a "hot welcome" :)

Steaua will miss their best defender Dorin Goian.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
You should just rest your best players here. Especially Gila.

·
Registered
18,461 Posts
It´s a pity to go against you guys and against Mutu, but Hai Steaua!

BTW Mutu uses to be bad received in many stadiums, but there isn´t a stadium on Earth with more hate towards Mutu than the Steaua one. He will have a "hot welcome" :)

Steaua will miss their best defender Dorin Goian.
goian better than radoi?

·
Registered
70,710 Posts
Radoi is the leader of the team, but he plays more as midfielder. Plus Goian is a big offensive weapon due to his headers.

For some reason the centre back Ghionea won´t play either. So Radoi will play in defence along with the weak Baciu.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Well Fiorentina were very unlucky with the group they were drawn in. Bayern and Lyon are two CL later stages teams. Fiorentina would have needed one of them to under perform to have a chance, but they didn't. However the UEFA Cup is a tournament Fiorentina can go far in. I think it is the right competition to be in if you want a chance of silverware (although the money isnt the same).

·
Registered
436 Posts
I really don't know if i wanted the UEFA cup right now. We are selling players in January, so our squads depth will be reduced. Maybe it would be better to only focus on Serie A. Anyway, nice to at least exit the CL with a win.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
UEFA is flawed, we have a team in Milan that want to bloody our nose for kicking them out of the CL.
Let's hope they slip up, otherwise its some much needed playing time for fringe players IN THE VERY LEAST.

I think we can win it, or at least go far.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Surely there are going to be less sales than in case we would have stayed without any European competition.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
It will be called the UEFA Europe League, more or less the same tournament, but starting with 48 teams in a group stage (the first round is cancelled and instead just a qualifying round, which it basically is anyway)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Europa league is a fantastic name for it, we love it over here!

no ****ing around on this one , we win this cup fullstop

no matter what anyone says, it is the best cup to win - just look at the thing!!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The competition didn't last long enough and it is not a recognised trophy. Nowhere near as the ones we are competing in todays competition.
39-year history is not long enough? It was nothing special when it's started and Fiorentina won but it was quite important competition later during 70s and 80s.
And it's anyway better trophy than Italian Cup :pp

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Even when itwas running, its only relevance was to give prestigious value to the other competitions. It suceeded so well in doing that, they cancelled it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts