Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
eastern europe resembles south america in their propensity to produce left-footed geniuses. here is a top ten off the top of my mind:

dejan savicevic (my favorite playmaker ever after diego) :thumbsup:
ferenc puskas
gica hagi
zbigniew boniek
hristo stoichkov
pavel nedved
davor suker
krassimir balakov
hakan sas
zlato zahovic

obviously biased towards recent times, so add other worthy names here.

·
Registered
555 Posts
ampersand said:
eastern europe resembles south america in their propensity to produce left-footed geniuses. here is a top ten off the top of my mind:

dejan savicevic (best playmaker ever after diego :thmbup:)
ferenc puskas
gica hagi
zbigniew boniek
hristo stoichkov
pavel nedved
davor suker
krassimir balakov
hakan sas
zlato zahovic

obviously biased towards recent times, so add other worthy names here.
my question is, well you got puskas and hagi on that list, maybe someone can correct me, but isn't hungary and romania considered central europe, the danubian school of football...i didn't major in geograpghy so i could be wrong :)

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
shemy said:
my question is, well you got puskas and hagi on that list, maybe someone can correct me, but isn't hungary and romania considered central europe, the danubian school of football...i didn't major in geograpghy so i could be wrong :)
They are considered to be Eastern Europe. You have a point there, but this is more of political statement than a geographical. Countries of Eastern Block vs Western Block. Hence Eastern European football.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Kinkaldze
Igor Netto
MESKHI!
Ponedelnik

Wasn't Gento a left footed Hungarian?

Anyway, most of the flair players that turned up for the USSR used to come from Georgia

·
Registered
555 Posts
Stecino said:
They are considered to be Eastern Europe. You have a point there, but this is more of political statement than a geographical. Countries of Eastern Block vs Western Block. Hence Eastern European football.
oh i see cool, but what is this danubian school of football which is associated with hungarian footballers, i saw on the history of soccer dvd...

·
Registered
69,527 Posts
Prosinecki and Kinkladze, though I thought Kinkladze at times was lazy but he was class :thmbup: amazing how John Gregory didn't put this guy in the team when Derby were fighting and eventually got relegated.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
still playing but great players

Adrian Mutu - Romania
Adrian Ilie - Romania
Andriy Shevchenko - Ukraine

and if Turkey is consider than

Nihat Khaveci
Emre
Basturk

Verpakovski from Latvia

mostly recent players but GREAT

·
Registered
513 Posts
shemy said:

Well, Poland may be in Central Europe, but Romania is in Eastern:) He got Zlatko Zahovic, who is from Slovenia, take a look at the map - Slovenia and Romania :smileani:

·
Registered
40,672 Posts
ilgenio said:
10 over posts and no one has mentioned Dragan "Pixy" Stoijkovic :googly:
You're a legend man, not many people know about this great player, sadly.

My list

Savicevic
Piksi Stojkovic
Prosinecki
Hagi
Dumitrescu
Jugovic
Stoichkov
Stankovic

Next big thing from Serbia, rated by Il Genio himself, Simon Vukcevic

·
Registered
513 Posts
yaf said:
Kinkaldze
Igor Netto
MESKHI!
Ponedelnik

Wasn't Gento a left footed Hungarian?

Anyway, most of the flair players that turned up for the USSR used to come from Georgia

Тhere is a player, called "Ponedelnik"? Hahah, "ponedelnik" is "Monday" in Bulgarian:) :tongue: :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
hagi might be the most underrated player of all time.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
I really don't think Hagi is underrated. He was voted the 2nd best player of the 90s behind the legendary Stoichkov.

I do however think that Savicevic and Piksi are very much underrated but I also think it's down to them not competing at WC 94 or Euro 96. You have to prove it on the world stage and Piksi did it in 90 and proved he still had it at the age of 35 at Euro 2000, of course far from his best. Had he played in 92/94/96, we would have seen him get a lot more recognition. You can't even mention Martin Petrov in the same breath as Piksi mate. Platini even says that he could never be the player that Piksi should have been.

As for Dejo, my favourite player of all time, my least favourite coach of all time. Anyway, if he'd played in 94, how he had played in the 94 CL final, he would have been player of the tournament, player of the year, simple as that. He outshone Stoichkov in that final and the goal was amazing. Dejo's problem however was him being quite injury prone and inconsistant. If he'd improved in this area, he could have been in the world all time top 10.

·
Registered
865 Posts
zeifod2 said:
Тhere is a player, called "Ponedelnik"? Hahah, "ponedelnik" is "Monday" in Bulgarian:) :tongue: :D
Yes... He played in USSR and scored the first goal of all European Championships :thumbsup:

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Robert Prosinečki
Dragan Stojković
Dejan Savičević
Krešimir Balakov
Vladimir Jugović
Hristo Stoitchkov
Gheorghe Hagi
Davor Šuker

and many others.