Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THe Dutch seem to have a lot of top young talent at the moment. Players who have caught my eye are

Babel
Kalou
Owusu-Abeyie
Snoyl

then theres the ones who are a little older and are making a international impression

van Persie
Robben
Heitinga
de jong
de ridder
van der vaart
Boulahrouz
Kromkamp
Sneijder

OUt of all of these Robben seems to be the one people regard as the next big thing, although I aren't convinced. Agreed he is a good player but he is very one footed and his impact in th EPL although impressive is only over a small number of games. His technique and vision as well as his tactical aptitude (although his is very young to talk about this) are only good to average. I think there are more promising prospects out there. I would like to hear your opinions on the listed players as well as any that have escaped my limited knowledge. Grazi

·
Registered
59,303 Posts
surprised by your inclusion of Ferne Snoyl :D he's alright I guess but I'm still not even sure if he'd be good enough for Feyenoords first team. That saying he still is young and hopefully he'll get a chance to prove himself when he comes back from his loan spell at Den Bosch.

Some more you can add to your list btw are the defenders Kruiswijk (FC Groningen), Jansen (Vitesse), Greene (RKC), midfielder Nicky Hofs (formerly of Vitesse, now at Feyenoord) and right winger Romeo Castelen (Feyenoord). Decent prospects they are, whether they'll reach the absolute top is another question.
Kalou, Babel, Maduro, Boula, de Jong and Kromkamp should but the others like VdV, van Persie etc. despite probably having more natural talent than the others, there are still a lot of questions to be raised about their mentality.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Snoyl was the only young left back i could think of, don't really rate van bronckhorst, What about Bouma can he play there, what are his main skills

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
Bouma can play left-back. In the youth teams he used to be a left-winger type of player. I think he should be tried out at left-back in the national team. Coz Gio is clearly our weakest link.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Based on his performances against Lyon it doesn't look that certain though that he will do much better. Also in the past he hasn't been really impressive when Gerets put him there.

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Who can tell me more about Michael Jansen from Vitesse ? As you already might have noticed, our scouts are infiltrating the dutch league :D ... I know that they watched a couple of matches from Vitesse and on saturday, our coach Doll and sports manager Beiersdorfer also watched Vitesse against Heerenveen. Since we are looking for a left back, Jansen comes to mind though there is no official rumor connecting him to Hamburg yet..

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
All i know is that he's a talented young defender who's doing pretty good this season. Ajax is also interested.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
He's the finest young leftback we have in the Netherlands at the moment. I have always been a bit surprised that has breakthrough has come so late, eventhough he's clearly better than Fränkel. Only this season Fränkel moved to midfield making room for Jansen and ever since he has been a starter. He's good defensively and also in the attack, cause in a quick check at the assists in games of Vitesse I can already find 4 from his feet. Unlike some other offensive backs he's also good with his head.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What can you tell me about Jansen, is he just a LB or more, whats his main skills.

Also could van bommel possibly play as a LWB if necessary, what do you think, is he any good with his left

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
jim08 said:
THe Dutch seem to have a lot of top young talent at the moment. Players who have caught my eye are

Babel
Kalou
Owusu-Abeyie
Snoyl

then theres the ones who are a little older and are making a international impression

van Persie
Robben
Heitinga
de jong
de ridder
van der vaart
Boulahrouz
Kromkamp
Sneijder

OUt of all of these Robben seems to be the one people regard as the next big thing, although I aren't convinced. Agreed he is a good player but he is very one footed and his impact in th EPL although impressive is only over a small number of games. His technique and vision as well as his tactical aptitude (although his is very young to talk about this) are only good to average. I think there are more promising prospects out there. I would like to hear your opinions on the listed players as well as any that have escaped my limited knowledge. Grazi
I'm stunned to read your opinion about Robben. His technique and vision are only good to average ?? Who did you watch ? Robben is very selfish but that's something totally different than not having any vision. His technique is more than good. That he has only been impressive over a small number of games is something I just totally don't understand. What about the years that he was amazing in the Dutch league, not to mention the Dutch NT ? The EPL is not the only league in the world ! The fact that "top young talents" like Snoyl, De Ridder etc, have caught you're eye is pretty amazing as well..

No offense jim, but this is crap.

EDIT: About van Bommel, he must suck because if you have to name one player who's only one footed then it's Van Bommel. ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rataplan said:
I'm stunned to read your opinion about Robben. His technique and vision are only good to average ?? Who did you watch ? Robben is very selfish but that's something totally different than not having any vision. His technique is more than good. That he has only been impressive over a small number of games is something I just totally don't understand. What about the years that he was amazing in the Dutch league, not to mention the Dutch NT ? The EPL is not the only league in the world ! The fact that "top young talents" like Snoyl, De Ridder etc, have caught you're eye is pretty amazing as well..

No offense jim, but this is crap.

EDIT: About van Bommel, he must suck because if you have to name one player who's only one footed then it's Van Bommel. ;)
Rataplan, hello. Think you may have understood me on a few points. The van bommel comment was not a statement it was a question, I was asking if he could play on the left as i didnt know, i have since discovered he is a right footed player and fro youre comment i guess he is very limited to his right foot, this does not make him a bad player, just not one ideally suited to LWB, although I do not know much about him, hence the questions.

Secondly, i think may wording may have mislead you, as it is not very good. i have tried to word them so that responses give answers that are helpful to me and not intended as bold statements. The list of players is just players who i have heard about and would like to know more, my knowledge on them is very limited.

The only point you could be justify as crap is my opinion on Robben, I was not claiming any of the players on my list were better, i was trying to say i think he is overated. I do not associate excellent technique with players like robben, more players like Cruyff, again this does not mean robben has bad technique. My comment on his limited number of games meant in the premiership only, in which he has done well, but so do many a player in their debut season. As i never saw him play in holland i did not comment on that, but just because a player is excellent in one league doesn't mean he will be excellent in every league and again this does not make some one a bad player. My only reason for including a comment on robben was so the thread was not filled with hundreds of Robben is great comments.

I feel my wording is the main problem here, but i am well aware that the EPL is not the only league, hence my questions on other leagues and players.

I ask questions either i do not know the answer to or would like to hear others opinions as i have not made my mind up, in order to learn more, obviously i will make mistakes in going beyond my knowledge, is that so bad

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
No it's okay. Yes correct, van Bommel is very limited with his left foot. Sometimes he even accepts the ball with his right foot while he should have used the other.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Must say i was quite impressed with PSV against Milan, apart from Gomes and Ooijer i thought they looked very good and if Park had taken half his chances they would have given milan a real test

1 - 15 of 15 Posts