Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duo up for Piacenza job Tuesday 14 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alberto Cavasin and Mauro Tassotti are prime candidates to take over at Piacenza should Walter Novellino move to Sampdoria.

Novellino (pictured) has had a fantastic two years at the club in which he gained promotion and then kept them in the top flight with a last day of the season win against Verona.

However, with Samp looking to start a new era at the club, Novellino is set to move to Serie B in a bid to get them into the top flight just as he has done with Venezia and Napoli in the past.

As for his replacement, Cavasin seems to be the slight favourite thanks to his Serie A experience with Lecce before he was sacked earlier this season.

Former Milan hero Mauro Tassotti is one of the up and coming bosses and is currently in charge of the Rossoneri Primavera side.

Meanwhile, other Coaching speculation suggests that Reggina boss Franco Colomba could move to Udinese to replace Giampiero Ventura.

The latter looks set to be shown the door after only just keeping the side in the First Division. But another contender for the Udine bench is Napoli’s Luigi De Canio.

The Azzurri boss had two years at the Stadio Friuli before being harshly sacked and replaced by Luciano Spalletti.

However, De Canio has admitted that he could stay at Napoli despite talk that he would certainly quit the San Paolo at the end of a troubled campaign.

"I could stay on but things need to be sorted out," he said.

"I’ve not had contact with any other clubs but I need to hold negotiations with President Giorgio Corbelli. I’ll remain here only if there are the conditions for me to do my job as I would like."

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Malesani facing the chop Tuesday 14 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verona President Giambattista Pastorello is on the verge of sacking Coach Alberto Malesani after their surprise relegation.

"Malesani had a competitive side available but it seems impossible to continue the relationship," said the Gialloblu chief.

"Looking at our likely income next season, we would probably use up most of season ticket sales and gate receipts to cover the cost of the Coach and his staff alone."

The former Parma boss was only appointed at the helm of the side last summer and had looked as if he would comfortably keep them in the top flight.

But results started to falter in the latter stages of the campaign and a last day loss against Piacenza saw the club relegated to Serie B. Something that the President still finds hard to believe.

"We’re still in a state of shock for this incredible relegation. For 33 weeks of the season we were out of danger and then we finished the campaign fourth from bottom," Pastorello continued.

"At one point it looked as if we could have one of our most successful seasons ever. But then we suffered an undeserved relegation."

Malesani had confessed his desire to stay at the club next season in a bid to win them back immediate promotion.

Early candidates to take the Bentegodi post are Ezio Glerean of Cittadella and former Siena boss Antonio Sala.

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Verona deny Malesani axe claims Wednesday 15 May, 2002

Verona have denied that they are ready to sack Coach Alberto Malesani despite comments made by the club President.

Giambattista Pastorello dropped seemingly substantial hints at a Press Conference yesterday where he suggested that the former Parma boss would not continue in his role.

However, as reports spread that Malesani was facing the chop, the club released a statement denying the claims.

"In the light of the numerous reports which suggest that Verona are on the verge of releasing their Coach Alberto Malesani, the club would like to make clear that the stories don’t correspond with what President Pastorello stated," it read.

Malesani only signed a new contract with the club less than three months ago and before the side’s shock relegation to Serie B.

Despite the denial, the Coach is set to meet with club officials in a bid to iron out whether he will continue in his role or not.

channel4

1 - 3 of 3 Posts