1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(from wldcup.com)

Blackburn deny talks with Duff are trying to head off sale
First Published: Jul 09, 2002

Blackburn Rovers deny they have produced emergency measures to try and keep Irish winger Damien Duff at the club.

Duff had a good World Cup last month with the Irish team and has attracted serious interest in the last six months from both Liverpool and Manchester United.

But Rovers say no talks on a new contract to try and keep Duff at the club are planned.

"All the stories of hurriedly arranged talks and ultimatums are absolute nonsense and very disappointing to say the least," said Rovers chief executive John Williams.

"That is not how we work and, thankfully, Damien is well aware of that. We spoke with Damien weeks and weeks ago, long before the World Cup in fact, and agreed to resume the discussions after the summer holiday."

Rovers are willing to double the player's wages to try and keep him but interest from Arsenal could come in soon if their winger Fredrik Ljungberg fails to recover from his surgery.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Duff chased by Reds - 09 July 2002

Liverpool and Manchester United are poised for a massive tug of war to secure the service of Irish World Cup star Damien Duff with the asking price from Blackburn Rovers likely to be in excess of £20 million sterling. Like Sir Alex Ferguson, Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier has always been a great admirer of Duff.

Rovers boss Graeme Souness has denied that he will walk out from Blackburn if the club sell either Duff or England Under 21 midfielder David Dunn.

''My intention is to keep our good players because we are trying to build something which is going to last. But if someone offers ridiculous money for a player, we have to consider it,'' said Souness.

With Dwight Yorke still very much on the Souness wanted list, that could work in favour of Manchester United although technically Duff's current contract does not end until 2004. But Blackburn may decide to cash in now and not wait until Duff becomes a free agent in two years time.

Duff returns to Blackburn from holidays at the end of the week with Ewood Park Chief Executive John Williams still hopeful that the player will sign a new four-year contract. But the lure of Champions League football with either Liverpool or Manchester United may be the deciding factor.

And Duff may not be the only Irish star on the move during the English close season. Crystal Palace boss Trevor Francis has admitted he is still open to offers for striker Clinton Morrison with Charlton Athletic and Birmingham City heading the queue with potential offers in the £5 million sterling range.

''We want to keep hold of Clinton, but if there are offers that we think are attractive and good for Palace, we will look at the situation,'' said Francis.

Definitely on the move from First Division Coventry City on a Bosman Ruling will be central defender Gary Breen. Newcastle, Sunderland and Everton have all expressed interest. But now Celtic boss Martin O'Neill could be the winner as he attempts to strengthen his squad for another tilt at the Champions League.

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce is locked in a three way battle with Sunderland and Charlton for Wimbledon defender Kenny Cunningham. The 31 year old Cunningham impressed when coming on as a defender for the injured Steve Staunton in Ireland's 1-1 draw with Spain in Suwon during the World Cup finals.

Former Irish midfielder Gareth Whalley is poised to sign for Second Division Cardiff City while Paul Aldridge, son of former Irish striker John Aldridge, has moved on a free transfer from Tranmere Rovers to Division Three Macclesfield.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe Duff deserves to play in the Champions League, he definitly has the skill to make an impact and can learn a lot by playing in the most prestigious competition in the world.

As for where he goes I would like to see him at Anfield, firstly Man U haven't qualified directly into the group stages, hahaha :D, and secondly I believe Mr Houllier a much better manager to learn from, and thirdly Man U would be one of my most hated clubs.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be awesome to see the Duffer in the CL. I would definetely prefer to see him in Liverpool as oposed to Man Ure. But thats just personal either club would be a huge jump in his career.

Can Blackburn resist the tempation of all the money that is going to be waved in their faces? That is the question to my mind.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Duff in red tug of war - 18 July 2002

Republic of Ireland World Cup star Damien Duff is poised to move from Blackburn Rovers to either Liverpool or Manchester United for a staggering 26 million Euro with the Anfield club the favourites to clinch his signature over the next 48 hours.

Blackburn boss Graeme Souness was desperately keen to hold onto his most prized asset but knows he must cash in now as the 23 year old Dubliner has only two years of his current contract to run.

A club source has revealed that Duff is unlikely to accept a new offer from Blackburn and now it is a straight fight between Liverpool and Manchester United with the transfer expected to be signed at the weekend. Both Gerard Houllier and Sir Alex Ferguson have been long time admirer's of the talented Irish player.

Duff's stock rocketed after Ireland's impressive World Cup performances against Cameroon, Germany, Saudi Arabia and Spain. His ability to play either as a tricky winger or as an out and out striker makes Duff one of the most wanted players in Europe.

While Liverpool have made all the running, Manchester United are reported to be still anxious to sign the player. But the guarantee of first team football at Anfield may be the major attraction. With Ryan Giggs in his prime at Old Trafford, the 29 times capped Duff would not necessarily be an automatic choice at United.

Meanwhile Millwall striker Richard Sadlier is hoping to force his way into manager Mick McCarthy's plans for the forthcoming European Championship qualifying campaign by impressing for the First Division club in the new campaign.

Sadlier, who scored 17 goals for Millwall last season, is determined to show he is the natural replacement for Niall Quinn, who confirmed his retirement from international football after the World Cup finals.

But his first priority after recovering from a hip injury is to win back his place in the Millwall starting line at the New Den especially with competition from both Steve Claridge and Neil Harris.

”I will not be considered for Ireland if I am not picked at Millwall and there is always competition for places here. Last season I won my first cap when coming on as a substitute in Ireland's 3-0 victory over Russia at Lansdowne Road and I hope to do enough to earn a recall''.

Shelbourne have urged fans to arrive early for their friendly sell-out game against Manchester United at Tolka Park on Saturday (kick-off 2.00 pm). England's World Cup players and the injured Gary Neville will be absentees. But United still bring a strong 16 man panel to Dublin including Roy Keane and Irish central defender John O'Shea.

After their 2-2 draw with Malta Hibernians in the Champions League preliminary round first leg in Valetta, Shelbourne should be at full strength apart from central defender Kevin Doherty who suffered a rib injury and was substituted after 61 minutes and replaced by Barry Prenderville.

Manchester United - Barthez, Carroll, P.Neville, O'Shea, Forlan, Keane, Fortune, Solskjaer, Yorke, Blanc, Silvestre, Veron, Stewart, Giggs, van Nistelrooy, Djordjic.

·
Registered
547 Posts
From skysports.com

DUFF IS WORTH MORE THAN £20M, SAYS SOUNESS
Duff: worth more than Rio?

Liverpool have been told they will need to cough up more than £20million to prise Damien Duff away from Blackburn Rovers.

The Anfield club, who pulled out of signing Lee Bowyer, have had an initial approach for the Republic of Ireland World Cup star turned down.

Liverpool's first bid is thought to be in the region of £10million, but former boss Souness has told them they would need to double the offer to a "ridiculous" amount.

He told Sky Sports News: "Unless we get a ridiculous offer he will be playing for us next year and the year after.

"We have had two offers but I would not blame clubs for making offers. He is a very good player.

"It is going to take £20million-plus. If Rio Ferdinand is worth that money (£30million) then it must be the same for Duff. Traditionally strikers who make and take goals bring in more money so maybe he is worth more money."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts