Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Italy and Croatia players given random drug tests

By Adrian Warner

SEOUL, May 27 (Reuters) - Italy and Croatia each had four players selected for drug tests by FIFA on Monday in what was believed to be the first time world soccer's governing body had carried out random checks before the start of a World Cup.

Players have been tested for banned substances in the past after matches at the tournament. But FIFA said the 2002 finals, which open on Friday, were witnessing the first random tests during training.

"The aim is that each team will have been tested at least once between the qualifying and the finals," FIFA communications chief Keith Cooper said on Monday. "It is the first time we have had tests before the tournament."

The surprise swoop on Italy's training camp saw striker Filippo Inzaghi, goalkeeper Francesco Toldo, defender Fabio Cannavaro and midfielder Angelo Di Livio all take urine tests.

The Croatian players tested included strikers Alen Boksic and Goran Vlaovic and utility man Anthony Seric.

"Officials from FIFA's doping control came to our base to test the players," Croatia's national team spokesman Adolf Kozul told Reuters on Monday.

"They asked for the squad list and four players were asked to give urine samples...we will be informed of the results in three to five days."

Other sports such as athletics and swimming have been using surprise training tests for years to catch cheats who use banned substances while they are preparing for an event but make sure their bodies are clear of drugs when they compete.

Football, which has seen some high-profile positive tests in recent years, is now following the trend.

In the past at least two players from each team were chosen after games to provide urine samples for testing.

"Unfortunately it is the way of the world in every sport (that tests are needed)," Cooper said.

Soccer players could benefit from most of the drugs that are abused in top-class sport, especially muscle-building steroids or human growth hormones and stimulants. Even stamina-boosting drugs such as EPO could be useful in the game.

In the last few years leading Dutch players Edgar Davids and Jaap Stam have been embroiled in high-profile positive tests for the controversial steroid nandrolone.

Soccer players are known to boost their diet with food supplements, which are suspected of leading to positive tests for the substance.
05/27/02 10:20 ET

Copyright 2002 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
That's fine...we should have nothing to hide. Maybe they should check Del Piero on Italy.;)

Anyway..if alcohol is a banned substance then the Croatia Board XI is in big trouble, I guess I'm going to have to pee in a cup for everyone.:D

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Jesus people...

nothing new though, they tested Asanovic in Euro96

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
haha they tested Asanovic cuz to them he was a horse and they prob couldnt believe that he wasnt on drugs! he was a beast! and the best:cool:

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
ej Jure, znao sam da se opijas ;)

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Actually Ero, almost got ugly once. My aunt and uncle came down from Canada a few years back and they brought their homemade white wine. So, what did these wise people do??? They put the vino in 2 apple juice bottles. Now, you have to remember, that domace stuff has the same color as apple juice, so, I pour myself a tall glass. Next thing you know, I spit the whole thing out of my mouth. Everyone looks at me like I'm nuts. Then they saw what Almost drank, and everyone died laughing. What can you do??

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
what can you do? You can finish of half a bottle of Johnny Walker red by yourself if we beat Mexico on Monday, or even if we lose. That's what I'm doing :)

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
JureM it must be terrible to be alergic to alcohol....why else would someone not want to drink;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
the best one i heard was a local priest (i wont name names) came from CRO back to canada with domaca loza (its clear) i think in coke botles so customs goes wats in the botle he goes , holy water u think hey the guys a priest why not wel they make him open the botles and they smel hard alkohol (loza) then they tel him excuse me father but whats this , onda on ce na to in broken english i might add MIRAKLLLLLL (miracle) :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Omolje said:
the best one i heard was a local priest (i wont name names) came from CRO back to canada with domaca loza (its clear) i think in coke botles so customs goes wats in the botle he goes , holy water u think hey the guys a priest why not wel they make him open the botles and they smel hard alkohol (loza) then they tel him excuse me father but whats this , onda on ce na to in broken english i might add MIRAKLLLLLL (miracle) :D
I'm sorry, but i didn't understand a word of that joke...:depress: :eek: :( :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts