Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will Englands best side be for the 2006 World Cup?

I assume Rio and Sol will get the center back gigs. However, ive caught most Chelsea matches this year and Terry has been quite awsome.

Does Sol deserve a spot ahead of Rio or Terry?

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Terry should certainly get a spot, I think the question is between Campbell and Ferdinand...

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Ferdinand's spot is 100% certain unless he is hurt...he is the best defender in England and maybe the world. To me.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I got the English top job:

Code:
--------------------------Green--------------------
-----Neville--[B]Rio Ferdinand[/B]--[B]John Terry[/B]--Cole--
----Beckham-------Gerrard---Lampard--------Cole---
-----------------Owen----------Rooney--------------

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
its a hard choice, but to me, i still think campbell is important. he is world class and he has experience at major tournaments, more than terry and rio. I'd personally have terry and campbell.

Has anyone thought of having 3 centre backs? just a thought...

keeper?? (not sure who i would have)
campbell terry rio
beckham gerrard lampard cole
j cole
rooney owen

A.Cole is more than capable of handling the left wing and Beckham has really improved on his defensive side, so he may be able to take the right wing.

And having those three centre backs is a very good defence, up there with the best in the world. only concern is a hard nut in midfield to really defend and be an anchor.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CUG said:
its a hard choice, but to me, i still think campbell is important. he is world class and he has experience at major tournaments, more than terry and rio. I'd personally have terry and campbell.

Has anyone thought of having 3 centre backs? just a thought...

keeper?? (not sure who i would have)
campbell terry rio
beckham gerrard lampard cole
j cole
rooney owen

A.Cole is more than capable of handling the left wing and Beckham has really improved on his defensive side, so he may be able to take the right wing.

And having those three centre backs is a very good defence, up there with the best in the world. only concern is a hard nut in midfield to really defend and be an anchor.
I like it :)

Do we think Gerrad/Lampard have the abilty to play the defensive role?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
South_Melbourne said:
I like it :)

Do we think Gerrad/Lampard have the abilty to play the defensive role?
ability or not it will be them 2 playing and with SGE they'll be playing defensively whether they like it or not.

the 3 CB's seem ok, and maybe Cole could handle the left flank alone, but i'm wondering about Beckham out on his own on the right.

any half decent left winger would easily go to town on Beckham and the whole formation would become unstable in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
South_Melbourne said:
Beckham, from the few La Liga games of Real ive seen has inproved his defence game.
anyone can improve a bit SM, but he's still nowhere near good enough to hold a flank on his own.

besides he can't even go forward well, let alone defend. a decent player would have him for breakfast. as simple as that.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vagabondo said:
anyone can improve a bit SM, but he's still nowhere near good enough to hold a flank on his own.

besides he can't even go forward well, let alone defend. a decent player would have him for breakfast. as simple as that.
He may be overrated but he, at the least decent.

Very good footballer.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
South_Melbourne said:
Very good footballer.
i'd probably take the very out of that sentence and stick in a was, but that's not really the point.

we might as well be talking about Shevchenko though; you can't expect someone like that to cover a whole wing if it's not his position. Beckham certainly isn't up to it, and in fairness he shouldn't really have to be either.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vagabondo said:
i'd probably take the very out of that sentence and stick in a was, but that's not really the point.

we might as well be talking about Shevchenko though; you can't expect someone like that to cover a whole wing if it's not his position. Beckham certainly isn't up to it, and in fairness he shouldn't really have to be either.
Beckham, albet overrated is a very good footballer. You dont play you entire carrer at Man Utd & Real whilst captaining a top 10 nation unless you are a very good footballer.

The wing back postions is not uncommen if Beckhman is up to it or not.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
South_Melbourne said:
Beckham, albet overrated is a very good footballer. You dont play you entire carrer at Man Utd & Real whilst captaining a top 10 nation unless you are a very good footballer.

The wing back postions is not uncommen if Beckhman is up to it or not.
I give up. whatever. Look at what you're saying now :wallbang:

the goalkeeper is not an uncommon position either, assuming Beckham even is/was a "very good footballer" like you say, could he fill this role too :wallbang: :wallbang:

why bring that up. i even said Ashley Cole could probably do a decent job on the other side. :wallbang: :wallbang:

and no i don't think Beckham is up to it. even Lazaridis would go past him like he wasn't there.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Djet said:
Terry should certainly get a spot, I think the question is between Campbell and Ferdinand...
I agree. Terry is the best English central defender at the moment, capable of scoring goals and a natural leader. I'd opt for Campbell over Ferdinand but with England having so many good CBs I'd like to see us try a 3-5-2 come 5-3-2

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
____________James :star:

________King__RIO__Terry

Carragher_______________A Cole

_________Lamps__Gerrard

__S W P>______________<J Cole

___________A.Johnson :star:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts