Ljungberg-Makelele-Ballack--Pires
--------------- Baraja
-----------Henry---Tristan

Sorry but Zidane is not worthy of a place in my European Dream Team!:D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahaha...yeah, thanks for reminding me. ;) its just that i have always been a big roberto carlos fan, he really is an amazing player, would improve any team he would play in. he is the best player in the running back position...

no zidane? no playmaker! besides, he has been the best player in europe this season, those sublime skills at real madrid, he scored the goal of this season in europe with that 4 foot magic against deportivo, he dominated in the UCL as well...and rounded the season off with an awesome goal. the man has been awesome this season both domestically and in europe. best player in the world by far.

ljungberg and pires arent playmakers, but are useful, no doubt. they cant support the strikers from central midfield since they play wing. baraja is a defensive midfielder, not a playmaker. makelele is just like baraja, a ballwinning defensive mid. and ballack isnt a playmaker type of footballer, he just plays behind the strikers and takes shots from outside the box. not much of a passer or assist maker.

·
Registered
66 Posts
kahn
thuram======nesta========canavaro========lizarazu
vieira

ljungberg=======zidane=========pires

henry

vieiri

i think that team would give the brazil side of 1970 a good game
:)

defensively flawless, with a midfield comprised of 3 gooners;) and two of the best strikers around.:) :D

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
SRT said:

no zidane? no playmaker! besides, he has been the best player in europe this season, those sublime skills at real madrid, he scored the goal of this season in europe with that 4 foot magic against deportivo, he dominated in the UCL as well...and rounded the season off with an awesome goal. the man has been awesome this season both domestically and in europe. best player in the world by far.

ljungberg and pires arent playmakers, but are useful, no doubt. they cant support the strikers from central midfield since they play wing. baraja is a defensive midfielder, not a playmaker. makelele is just like baraja, a ballwinning defensive mid. and ballack isnt a playmaker type of footballer, he just plays behind the strikers and takes shots from outside the box. not much of a passer or assist maker.
I guess you're right. I thought Baraja ws an attacking midfielder especially after all those goals he scored for Valencia.
Well if things aren't going to well I will bring Zidane on at half time to liven things up!:D

·
Registered
886 Posts
I`m sorry if I`m upset anyone but You rate Nesta as the worlds best defender because he`s good or that some news paper have wrote it?
Nesta have been awful the last couple of months and if you play as poor as he did against Roma and England your not a wolrd class defender in my opinion.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
---------------------kahn--------------------
thuram------nesta------stam------lizarazu
pires--------zidane------viera-----figo
---------------henry------saviola

subs: ME ME ME!:howler:

·
Registered
94 Posts
yaya i agree nesta had ave season at best and the mistakes he made against roma were so fukn bad

i would have

--------------------------kahn----------------------
puyol------campbell-----helguera-----lizarazu
--------------------------vieira----------------------
----figo----------------------------------------pires
------------------------zidane----------------------
-----------------henry--------trezeguet----------

so so many french players
no wonder they will win the world cup again hehehe

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Ok here comes my European Dream Team
It is not only based on form but in some cases simply based on players I really like...

Manager: Arsene Wenger - Because he can handle players and media in a suberb way.He can turn good players into World-Class players and he's the same man wherever he is, weather the cameras are off or on.

Assistant Manager: David Platt - Good experience from both Italian and English football aswell as alot of international caps.
A natural leader.

The team in a 4-4-2 Diamond Formation
Code:
                   Larsson    Henry

Zidane
Pires                                         Beckham           

Vieira

Lizarazu    Maldini      Adams(C)   Thuram

Kahn
Subs(CL bench):
D.Seaman,R.Ferdiand,S.Campbell,B.Lizarazu,F.Ljungberg,C.Vieri,L.Figo

Standins:
G.Buffon,P.Cannovaro,M.Owen,Zlatan

·
Registered
121 Posts
-----------------------Buffon
---- Thuram----Nesta---Campbell----Roberto carlos
Ljungberg------Ballack------Denilson
--------------------Zidane
-----------Henry----------------Shevchenko

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jacke...nesta is just going through a bad patch...it is just normal. besides, lazio are in a very tough time right now, and none of their world class players are playing to their best. crespo is another example. it still doesnt change the fact that nesta is the best defender in the world, he has proven that many times.

willy...STAM??!?!?:confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
547 Posts
If its based on this season why has everybody picked Vieira? - he's been poor this season. No two ways about it. The form of the other Arsenal midfielders has made him look good.

Euro dream team based on form from this season.
(Players who play in Europe - not just Europeans)

----------------------------Buffon-------------------------------

Cafu--------Ferdinand-----------Lucio-----------Placente-

Pires----------Zidane------------Ballack--------Ljungberg-

----------------Vieri---------------- Henry---------------------

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PICKING FERDINAND OVER CAMPBELL?!?!!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! :D :howler:
:tongue:

placente over puyol?

·
Registered
547 Posts
"PICKING FERDINAND OVER CAMPBELL?!?!!? "

Absolutely. There isn't even a contest. Why do you think there is mutterings in the press about how Gareth Southgate may replace Campbell alongside Ferdinand for England??

Campbell is nowhere near the defender that Ferdinand is. Campbell is prone to serious lapses of concentration and has the touch of an elephant whereas Ferdiand has not put a foot wrong all season and is technically far superior. Campbell relies on his strength and height whereas Ferdinand does not need to because he is much more intelligent and is far superior at anticipating and dealing with offensive moves.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Cokane said:
Why has everybody picked Vieira? - he's been poor this season. No two ways about it. The form of the other Arsenal midfielders has made him look good.
Hold on a second - So you are saying that Vieira didnt play that well this season? OK.

But your next comment, "The form of the other Arsenal midfielders has made him look good" makes no sense at all. What you are saying there is that the others have been so bad that they made Vieira, who, in your opinion had a poor season?

HOW THE HELL DID WE WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND FA CUP IF OUR MIDFIELDERS ALL PLAYED SO BADLY?

Pires and Ljungberg on this season's form would walk into any team on the planet. :rollani:

Anyway... Vieira didn't have a 'poor' season - he had a slightly worse season than 2001. He was still head and shoulders above most other central midfielders in the EPL - especially that monolithic caveman that used to captain Ireland.

·
Registered
547 Posts
GarethUK said:

But your next comment, "The form of the other Arsenal midfielders has made him look good" makes no sense at all. What you are saying there is that the others have been so bad that they made Vieira, who, in your opinion had a poor season?

HOW THE HELL DID WE WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND FA CUP IF OUR MIDFIELDERS ALL PLAYED SO BADLY?
No - what I meant was - The others played SO well that Vieira's poor performances were not noticed as they normally would be. I should have maybe phrased that one a bit more succinctly for those who cannot put 2 + 2 together. This should have been abundantly clear if you looked at the team that I picked as 'team of the season' - it happens to ... shock, horror, include Pires and Ljungberg.

GarethUK said:

Anyway... Vieira didn't have a 'poor' season - he had a slightly worse season than 2001. He was still head and shoulders above most other central midfielders in the EPL - especially that monolithic caveman that used to captain Ireland.
So then, can you tell me why Keane was nominated as one of the six PFA player of the year candidates and Vieira was not??? That's a strange one eh?? The players obviously think that the 'monolithic caveman ' DID have a better season and you would think they would know. Or is your footballing knowledge from a higher intellectual plane??

Oh, and why was it that many Arsenal fans were clamouring for Vieira to be dropped during the Christmas period??? Because of his titanic performances?? Nahhh - it was because he was playing poorly and didn't seem to give a damn because he was more interested in how much money Real Madrid were going to throw at him at that time.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I think cokane is right!
Veira has had quite a bad season by any standards and doesnt warrant a place in any dream team!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
campbell is a very reliable defender, the press say a lot of things which dont even make sense so they arent even worth believing. campbell is a better tackler, good in the air, organizes the defence like tony adams did, and scores goals when needed. ferdinand is mistake prone and not reliable like campbell can be. campbell reads the game very well as well, but i admit ferdinand has a skill in that as well.

BTW...this 'dream team' you want to make by all means isnt based on performances this season (you can make a seperate one on that if you like), but simply on overall skill and consistency. based on that, viera would be an excellent choice in the team. this season he hasnt been as good as his high standards may expect to be.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Cokane said:
"PICKING FERDINAND OVER CAMPBELL?!?!!? "

Absolutely. There isn't even a contest. Why do you think there is mutterings in the press about how Gareth Southgate may replace Campbell alongside Ferdinand for England??

Campbell is nowhere near the defender that Ferdinand is. Campbell is prone to serious lapses of concentration and has the touch of an elephant whereas Ferdiand has not put a foot wrong all season and is technically far superior. Campbell relies on his strength and height whereas Ferdinand does not need to because he is much more intelligent and is far superior at anticipating and dealing with offensive moves.
been listening to so called experts Cokane?

watch him closely in the World Cup and prepare to eat massive amounts of humble pie ;)

for starters watch the Cameroon game and count how many times he lost track of Mboma. :D

Then watch his brilliant contribution for their first goal when he turns his back on the ball and puts his hands to his face because he is scared the ball might hurt his face. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts