• these teams are both incredible, it would end up in a draw

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a topic I though of before football training...

If our Dream Team of now. Zidane, Figo, Raul, Roberto Carlos played the dominant 1960's team, consisting of Di Stefano and Puskas, who would win?:eek:

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
While the the current team is certainly great, I think the Real Madrid of the 1950s - with the likes of Alfredo di Stefano, Ferenc Puskas, and Francisco Gento - has the edge.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
only theoretical!

I went with the past since they achieved so much!

They made real madrid, REAL MADRID!

I say our current clubs has equal talent but bigger pay checks!!!:D

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
well,I think we should pick one yhear's team from those 5 years.Say,1958 or 1960,and then compare it to this team.But only if this team can achieve something this season that merits a comparison to any of those great sides.I have not seen any of those sides ofcourse(except hilites) ,infact I dont think I've met anyone in Xtratime who did.

but I did see the Milan side of the early 90's,and I think we could have an interesting decision about whether this season's Real(providing they achieve something) or that Milan side is the greatest of the 'modern' sides.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think its too early to make a call on this team, way too early.

If your talking Zidane and Figo, then your talking about just the past 1-2 years, and with only a one league title so far. Plus, its very unlikely this team will stick together to play 5 or 6 years together.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The football of the 60s was radically different of todays', you can't compare them. Tactics and defensive skills have improved, and now football is faster... I think the actual team would win

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I bet that if it was a friendly match the past side would win, but in a 100% competetive match the team of today would beat them. And its not just cause we got a great team right now, i think most sides who played in the CL quarters this year would beat them.

Its just like some already ave pointed out, todays game is just a lot more fast paced and the players are schooled more like machines which would decimate a team playing football out of almost sheer joy only..

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Depends how you look at the question.
I have little doubt the current players, with the medicine improvement over the years, are much better than those from 50 years ago. The way technology, nutrition and everything has gone forward makes these guys today look like cyborgs in the 50's. Their stamina would probably be really something...

but of course that's not the way to look at the question. We have to compare what these teams achieved in their respective times, amongst opponents that were in their league. (I don't see any point comaring wether Hitler would've defeated Napoleon, if you see what I mean - of course the timespan is greater here, thus the bigger disproportion of the comparison).
And if we look at it that way there is no way this team, or any team in history yet, can claim to be equal or greater. 5 in a row is something. 3 in 5 years will be really something, but it's still not 5 in a row...
plus time will still have to judge wether Zidane, or Raul will be named in the same sentence as Puskas or di Stefano.

A shutout 3-0 to the 60's team right now. If we claim the ChL crown this year --> 3-1.

:D:devil:

·
Registered
266 Posts
you'll get pissed-off if you compare the past with the future...:cool:

to begin with that many things have changed since that time

BTW about friendly matches :D nobody takes them serious,
it's just for fun (sometimes for practise), but anyway in this case there is noway that the past team will beat the present one, that's it!

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this the the jenifer who created the legendary "Figo is the best player" topic?:dazed: :eek:

welcome back!... i hope:cool:

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Yes, it's that Jennifer:) The Jennifer Lopez we all know:howler: The russian girl from kaliningrad if I'm not mistaken. Currently residing in Auckland:cool:
She's back, but not full time I think;)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
penalty kicks and raul :yuck: will miss :D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Kiyan said:
Just a topic I though of before football training...

If our Dream Team of now. Zidane, Figo, Raul, Roberto Carlos played the dominant 1960's team, consisting of Di Stefano and Puskas, who would win?:eek:
This team would win because players of the modern age are stronger, fitter and play football alot faster. Players of the old age will not be able to cope with the pace of the modern game.

The biggest factor why the modern team will win though is because they have Zidane and Solari and Carlos.

Zidane is the second greatest player in the history after former Barca hit-man MARADONA.
Solari is one of my favourite players.
Carlos is so good full stop.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Look I've cracked it. All those talks about them greats like puskas and Pele and all those other players being great is a load of rubbish. I've watched them play and they are crap to be bluntly and pianfully and brutally honest.

The only good player from that old list is Di Stefano.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Puskas was notin man. whats that duds name yeah Raul is better than him. add Santiago Solari and Carlos Roberto and the new team whips the old team

Know what I mean.

Peace.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I beleive that 1950's team build our wonderful history ... and todays team continued the way of gold & titles ...

A good thing that both teams were able to knock out barca from champions league

1 - 19 of 19 Posts