·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
April 14, 2005
FOOTBALL DIGEST
By Times Online and Agencies

Larsson graduates from university

Henrik Larsson, the former Celtic forward, is to be awarded an honorary degree by the University of Strathclyde. The 33-year-old Sweden international, now with Barcelona, will be made a doctor of the university next month in recognition of his contribution to sport and his impact on Glasgow and Scotland.

Professor Andrew Hamnett, the university principal, said: "The university believes that Mr Larsson's impact on Glasgow and Scotland as a whole went far beyond the football field. His charity work and general demeanour mark him as an ideal role model for our students."

Larsson has accepted the degree and the university is confident he will collect the award in person at a ceremony on May 4.

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's the proove, that we play with our heads(not as Marquez does , with the thing INSIDE the skull) not with our pockets:)

EDIT: yes, bad english:)

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Culéd said:
Aside from having great footballers, Barça, unlike Real Club de la F. Mierdid, also has great human beings :smileani: .
Are Barca the team which made him be like that? NO, it was Celtic

Good luck with your great footballers btw, LOL :dielaugh:

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
Real_Madrid said:
Are Barca the team which made him be like that? NO, it was Celtic
True. Barça will make him an even better player, and human being, aswell as he giving Barça an even greater reputation.
Good luck with your great footballers btw, LOL :dielaugh:
You certainly shouldn't be the one to talk, O'Beckshiter :rollani: .

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

DR LARSSON: Swedish striker Henrik Larsson returned to Glasgow to receive an honorary degree. Picture: Donald Macleod (click on image to enlarge)

SCOSTMAN.COM
Regarding Henrick

http://sport.scotsman.com/football.cfm?id=481752005

CELTIC legend Henrik Larsson was back in Glasgow yesterday to be made a doctor of Strathclyde University, and after studying the Premierleague run-in decreed that his former club would retain the title.

The Swedish striker quit Parkhead for Barcelona last summer but has kept an eye on Celtic’s tussle with Rangers for the championship flag.

"I’ve been following the results and speaking with a few of the lads so I’m well up to date," said Larsson, 33, who was joined by his wife Magdalena, son Jordan and daughter Janice as he returned to the city to receive an honorary degree. "They are all big players at the club. They are used to handling pressure so I don’t think they feel that much pressure."

Filling Larsson’s boots was never going to be an easy task but so far Craig Bellamy appears to be the ideal candidate. "I knew that he was a good player. Yes, I am impressed," said Larsson, who was mobbed by well-wishers after receiving the honour for his contribution to sport and charity.

Senior academic Professor James McDonald told Larsson: "Given your recognition today Henrik, your new found associates at Strathclyde can now modify the lyrics slightly to say, ‘You are our Larsson, our Doctor Larsson’."

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Pathetic. Giving out doctors titles to people cause of their fame is like slap in the face on all us who studies to become doctors.

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
I already have a degree... but I want to study to become a footballer!!! :howler:

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
It is kind of silly. I never liked these types of honorary awards given to famous individuals. Some (like me) might look at it as mildly acceptable when for example, a leading political figure gets one for political science or something of the sort, but to give one to an athlete or someone who has nothing to do with the academic field in question, is silly...

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
1,944 Posts
I don't know the University of Strathclyde or how good it is, but it's a way to get the name of the university out. It's good PR. You typically don't see the more prestigious universities give out these things to athletes though. Although we had freaking Jonny Moseley as commencement speaker a few years back. :wallbang:

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
"Henrik Larsson, the former Celtic forward, is to be awarded an honorary degree by the University of Strathclyde. The 33-year-old Sweden international, now with Barcelona, will be made a doctor of the university next month in recognition of his contribution to sport and his impact on Glasgow and Scotland."

Y'all seem to have missed this part. There's nothing pathetic or wrong about it. Despite the fact that these sort of things ARE good PR, there is more to the situation than non-Glaswegians would understand.

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
"Henrik Larsson, the former Celtic forward, is to be awarded an honorary degree by the University of Strathclyde. The 33-year-old Sweden international, now with Barcelona, will be made a doctor of the university next month in recognition of his contribution to sport and his impact on Glasgow and Scotland."

Y'all seem to have missed this part. There's nothing pathetic or wrong about it. Despite the fact that these sort of things ARE good PR, there is more to the situation than non-Glaswegians would understand.

oh shut up, what do YOU know about Glasgow? :rolleyes:

:pp

1 - 20 of 20 Posts