Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, firstly...I believe him to be one of the very best coaches and tacticians in the game...and I've met and still know quite a few. He is one of the select few that makes coaching policy to EUFA and FIFA and has done for years. The coaching badges attainable via these organisations are largely his work. He set up the now famous French National Academy and trained a bunch of kids and under 21's to go our and win the world cup and European Championship. Zinedine Zidane says he is the best and most inspirational coach he has ever worked with, as does David Trezegeut, Lilian Thuram and Aime Jacquet...not dissimilar from what our own Harry Kewell, Jamie Carragher, Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard, Danny Murphy and 'Le Gems' have all said publicly over the last few months. Pongolle dedicated his first Liverpool goal to him. The French World Cup winning team insisted he have a winners medal struck. He has been with us for Five Years (minus one for serious illness) and delivered us six trophies, clear to anyone with eyes that although mightily successful, we over-achieved early...and sent the more 'unthinking' fans and pundits into paroxisms of over-expectation.

In those 5(4) years, he has pretty much with minor exceptions rebuilt the entire squad and club from the inside out. The only players who were regular-ish starters when he arrived that are still first team incumbents are a then very young and over-exposed Michael Owen and a then very out of condition and regularly pilloried Jamie Carragher. Both of these are now acknowledged high-quality players of the first order. Owen went on to become European Footballer of the year, this despite Gerard Houllier frequently pulling him out of the team in order to care and remove his longer term injury problems.

He then scoured the ressies and early academy kids and came up with Danny Murphy and Steven Gerrard. He turned Murphy's career around after loaning him back to Crewe for a season - Murphy swears this is the case. Carragher swears GH made him a better player and a better person. His first full buy was Dietmar Hamann from Newcastle...a player still vital to us and one extremely well regarded by everyone...even the pundits who dislike us. Hamann is on record as saying Houllier sold him on the club and his ideas for it within ten seconds.

From then on, with a limited budget to re-equip an entire squad and trim the existing squad of journeymen and those of dubious temperament, he got rid of Babb, James, Kvarme, Ince and a host of others who could no longer cut it (Bjornebye) or who never really could (Babb). For around £7m he bought Hyypia and Henchoz, still as vital as Hamann. He signed others on Bosmans or extremely cheaply, many turning out to be a revelation to the uninitiated, such as Babbel and possibly Traore(who would still be there if not for his terrible illness). Only Erik Meijer, Ferri and one or two others failed to do very much - but they were stop-gaps intended to cover where we were particularly under strength...as such, most did that well for what was required at the time. I don't include Titi Camara in this as he scored some vital goals for us, a winner against Arsenal and one against West Ham when his Dad died stick in the memory.

I could go on and on like this with Le Gems, Riise, Kewell, Finnan, Smicer (I have always rated him), Cheyrou, Dudek and Kirkland among others. And though he may be on his way soon, Heskey's first season and a half was superb. Next comes the redoubtable Djibril Cissé among others.

This in no way to me fits the description of 'inept'.

As for comments to press, some things do look odd in hindsight, then hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it? The fact that many in the press don't like him or us (he's French, we're scouse) just amplifies this. It's also not as if TV companies and newspapers are above selecting the elements from an interview they think will make more 'interesting' news either, is it?

My loyalty is not blind, as I hope the above documents...I have not forgotten how much on our arses we were when he took over. But my loyalty is 100%. This is my team, I am it's supporter. I support it. I think there are as many on here who would understand exactly what I mean by that as there are those who won't. Liverpool football club is and has been for as long as I can remember an integral part of my life...I love it, end of....and I don't crap on my own doorstep.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
I don't doubt Houllier on his ability to buy good players, be a good 'fathery' figure and commit himself to the club. He is definately good administrative guy and a good judge on players.

But even from the way you biasedly phrase it, nothing was said about his inability to bring the best out of them. In spite of getting the team to play some decent football this season, we are still subsisting on the mindset gained from his past 5 season of playing clueless football. Never mind it was unattractive, it was definately ineffective.

Yes, Houllier can be credited for being the force behind France 98 win, but that is like crediting a CEO for overseeing the company's successful year. Its on the field which he has failed to deliver for France, he failed to bring a talented France side of Cantona, Papin, Ginola, Desailly, Blanc, Le Guen, Martins etc through one of the weakest groups and losing the last 2 home games in the process.

If the French FA thinks Houllier needs time, is so good managing the players on the field and would do well in the World Cup 98, why did they pushed him upstairs?

Good thing they did.

Who says anything about overexpectations? From Evan's positions of around 2nd-4th, overexpectations would be to demand Houllier to win us the European Cup in Houllier first few seasons. I do not see Evans' Liverpool as being too far away from Man Utd and the occasional challangers. Now we are miles behind them plus Arsenal and Chelsea.

Yes he won the league Cup twice, that is a cup which Bolton and Boro just reached the final for.

Yes we have injuries, but we are not facing Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea every week. If we are, I can accept being 21 points behind Arsenal.

But no, we only play the top 3 six times a season, and the botton 15 or 16 thirty two times.

Even with our half our side filled with reserves, we should..no we must be better then the likes of Fulham and Charlton and thus should at least be keeping in touch with the leaders.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
numerodix said:
Wow, good job Razor.
Spoken like a true Norwegian....heh. 'Arsenal play the ball on the ground too much' :eek: :tongue: :tongue:

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:
Spoken like a true Norwegian....heh. 'Arsenal play the ball on the ground too much' :eek: :tongue: :tongue:
:howler: What a silly comment :tongue: Read my custom title won't you ;)

No, I meant it was nicely written, regardless of the message. :)

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Opps sorry.

When in Norway do what the Norwegians do...

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
numerodix said:
:howler: What a silly comment :tongue: Read my custom title won't you ;)

No, I meant it was nicely written, regardless of the message. :)
if you are living in Norway,you can't fail to have been affected by the culture and custom,this is dangerous ;)

Beckenbauer once flew over Oslo as an 18 year old and it took him three weeks of intensive training before he stopped hoofing the ball 80 yards into the stands,he was lucky,some of his teammates stayed in Oslo and their professional careers were wrecked as they couldn't keep a football in the stadium and many wildlife were destroyed by their HOOFS!!!!!:D

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Wondered the point of reading on after the first sentence of "I believe him to be one of the very best coaches and tacticians in the game".

Sad that someone can be so deluded.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Glen said:
Sorry Razor.... you're saying the earth is flat... right :tongue: ?
and he has "documents" to prove that! :)

you don't crap on your doorstep, but you refuse to clean up crap that stuck in there. Why? sounds like not because you don't care, but cuz you think its candy. I could care less but you wont let anybody clean up that pile o'sh(t. Sorry, dude, it's gotta go. The sooner the better. ;)

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:
Its on the field which he has failed to deliver for France, he failed to bring a talented France side of Cantona, Papin, Ginola, Desailly, Blanc, Le Guen, Martins etc through one of the weakest groups and losing the last 2 home games in the process.
the so-called weak group had the world cups 3rd and 4th placed in it. I would say it was the strongest.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
JKris said:
the so-called weak group had the world cups 3rd and 4th placed in it. I would say it was the strongest.
what are you talking about? Bulgaria were a very good team but they really blossomed during the world cup. France still though had a much stronger squad and should've at least finished second in the group. No excuses for failng to do so. And... I don't remember Israel finishing 3rd in the WC, do you? :D

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
zico said:
what are you talking about? Bulgaria were a very good team but they really blossomed during the world cup. France still though had a much stronger squad and should've at least finished second in the group. No excuses for failng to do so. And... I don't remember Israel finishing 3rd in the WC, do you? :D
BAH! darn it, I did for a moment believe it was Sweden that qualified with Bulgaria from the group... What have I been drinking. ;) We just met them in training matches before the WC...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts