Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it will happen , klinsman knows him and I think donovon will flourish with good playas around him....he is training with them as we speak and has scored 3 goals

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bayern Munich are set to sign USA international Landon Donovan on a loan deal running from Jan 1 to at least the middle of March and possibly until the end of the season.

GettyImages

The U.S. star will play in the Bundesliga after impressing Juergen Klinsmann.

Donovan, 26, who has made over a century of caps for his country, has been training with Bayern for the last week and a half and has impressed Bayern coach Juergen Klinsmann.

"The goal will be to see if we can get him long term, at least until the end of the season," Klinsmann told the Bayern's website.

This week Klinsmann, who was a technical advisor at Galaxy before he took over as Bayern coach on July 1, paid tribute to the midfielder's ability, saying: "Landon is a player who bring all sorts of qualities, he has developed into one of the top players in North America and Mexico."

Having struggled to impress on his last sojourn to the Bundesliga when he had a brief spell at Bayer Leverkusen, Donovan said he is enjoying his time in Munich and is keen to stay.

"As a person and a player, I am completely different now to how I was then, I have matured. I am ready. I believe I can keep up with all the other players, even if I am not the best player here."

Having struggled to make the grade in Germany last time, Donovan admits he has learned from the experience. "I recognise Leverkusen wasn't the problem, I was," he said. "I just wasn't ready for it."

And Bayern manager Uli Hoeness has been impressed with what he has seen so far. "What he has shown so far is okay, he can certainly kick," said Hoeness.

Donovan top scored in Major League Soccer's regular season with 20 goals in 25 matches for LA Galaxy team.

His loan follows that of David Beckham to AC Milan, also for three months, though in contrast Galaxy and Milan have both said that deal will end in March.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Read on SoccerByIves.net that the deal isn't done quite yet.

Should be done soon though, sounds like Klinsmann really wants Landon

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Landycakes scored his first Bayern goal in a friendly. :thumbsup:

I've also decided that even if he ever mans up, he'll still be Landycakes to me.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hell be good there..

·
fawkin legend
4,943 Posts
hez gonna rawk. podolski already on his way out to leave cuz he knowz he is last option. NWO takin ova :happy:

·
Registered
44,368 Posts

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2 more goals for donovon today...so 4 goals and 2 assists in 4 friendlies..good so far..hes on fuego lol:D

·
Registered
44,368 Posts

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
His vision, and movement off the ball are god damned brilliant. I don't care what anyone says. It's just amazing more people can't see what it looks like to be a great player among mediocre talent your whole life. Your contribution never turns into production when other people can't hold up their end of the deal.:D

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol....2nd goal was funny

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the history of American soccer there’s never been a more scrutinized or beloved player than forward Landon Donovan.

The disappointment of the 2006 World Cup fueled the fire of Donovan detractors still bitter over his two failed stints in Germany, where he was unable to stick it out in the country’s top soccer league, the Bundesliga.

Still, he remained the face of U.S. soccer. You saw him working out in the Nike’s “My Better is Better” commercials along with Adrian Peterson and Steve Nash.

However, something changed this past year as Donovan churned out a career season, leading the MLS in goals with 20. Despite his team not even making the playoffs, he was often the best player on the field, at times almost unstoppable with his trademark acceleration, attacking intelligence and newfound fire in his belly. He’d always been a proven player on the international level, but he’d never had such a break out season professionally.

At only 26, Donovan’s the country’s all-time goals and assists leader. The Red, White & Blue eased its way through the first and second rounds of World Cup 2010 qualifying, due mostly to their star forward’s unselfish play, moving the ball around to his teammates like a point guard and displaying the leadership of a proven veteran.

The interest in the sport in the U.S. has grown with David Beckham’s arrival stateside and a new, younger generation of fans. However, Donovan made only around $900,000 this past year with his MLS club, the Los Angeles Galaxy (a meager sum for a player at the forefront of his sport in his country). Towards the end of the season, Landon began to express his interest on leaving the MLS for greener pastures in Europe.

His hard work caught the attention of number of European clubs, but Donovan decided to take a loan opportunity in Germany to powerhouse Bayern Munich, perhaps to right his previous failings in the Bundesliga. The move makes sense, as he has a good relationship with the coach Jurgen Klinsmann from the coach’s days living in L.A. If Donovan earns a spot on the squad, it could be the best club an American’s ever played for. Some of the world’s best players lead the attack for Germany’s top team, including international stars Frenchmen Frank Ribery, Italian Luca Toni and German Miroslav Klose.

Donovan debuted a couple Saturdays ago in a friendly in Abu Dhabi, playing a full 90 minutes and grabbing an assist in the 3-2 win against Al Jazeera. That Monday, he notched his first goal in a Bayern jersey against Al-Wheda on a hustle play, out maneuvering a defender in the box, controlling the ball with his chest and putting it safely away in the corner of the net (not typically the kind of goal Donovan scores).

Although the games were only friendlies the soccer blogosphere went wild with posts mostly expressing their excitement for his performance. When the U.S. international star debuts in an actual league game who knows what the response will be. The American didn’t look out of place with some of the world’s best players. That, in itself, is a great victory for U.S. soccer. It also looks as if Bayern Munich’s third striker, Lucas Podolski, is on his way out, which could mean Donovan will be seeing plenty of playing time.

His performance internationally will also be tested with World Cup qualifying heating up. If you were to check out any U.S. soccer game in the near future, I’d suggest watching the U.S. vs. Mexico on February 10th. The “Border War” has become one of the best rivalries in the soccer world. The two sides don’t like each other, and the Americans have the weather on their side as they’ll be playing in the dead of winter in Columbus, Ohio.

Donovan’s long been a pest to Mexico. For proof, check out one of his career’s best goals here he scored against Mexico in a 2007 match.

No matter how well he plays, though, there will always be those who take their shots at Donovan. However, you can almost feel a whole country of U.S. fans gathering behind their country’s best player and laying their hopes and dreams in him again.

Landon Donovan has a chance to become the country’s first world class player, something soccer in the U.S. needs desperately to become accepted within the American mainstream sports world. That officially makes Donovan U.S. soccer’s “Great American Hope.”

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have always thought if landy cakes was mentally tuff and took this game more seriously..he could play for any team in the world...if he is that man now...bayern and landy cakes will fly to new hites

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Let's not all cream ourselves over some good friendly performances. I really hope Landycakes does well at Bayern, but we should not get excited considering he is yet to make his competitive debut (which could be next weekend, btw).

·
Honorable Mention, December 2010 Photo Contest
15,405 Posts
Let's not all cream ourselves over some good friendly performances. I really hope Landycakes does well at Bayern, but we should not get excited considering he is yet to make his competitive debut (which could be next weekend, btw).
Agreed. Mainz is second division. Hope Landycakes continues his good form, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Landycakes has been added to Bayern's CL roster, which not only shows that he's been doing fairly well but that he could be there longer than two or three months. Bayern have a lot of matches coming up with the Bundesliga, DFB Cup and CL, so we could see him getting more time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts