Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something that MLS fans have see this winter is the flux of players joining EPL clubs. Now one of the US best players looks to be Heading with Mcbride, Bocanegra, Howard, Reyna, Friedel, and Keller to the MLS. Couple that with Mathis to Germany. and West to Italy. Granted that this will only be a loan deal and all hinges on FIFA, but the MLS fan will soon need to get Satalite TV to see there stars play.

Can the MLS survive at this rate. Last season the emphasis was on getting fans to come out and see these player, well the Fans responded( I must say not as much as I would have liked) but they enjoyed the best attendance record since conseption. So what will be the motto this year to spark the fans. "Come see your best today as tomorrow they will be gone." Doesent sound as a prudent way to run a league.

Anyway here is the story on Donovan:

Portsmouth trying to get Donovan on loan

PORTSMOUTH, England (Jan. 26, 2004) (AP) _ Portsmouth of England's Premier League has a deal to obtain Landon Donovan on a loan from Major League Soccer, but the agreement has become bogged down by FIFA's new transfer regulations.
Portsmouth owner Milan Mandaric said on Monday his team has reached agreements with the 21-year-old forward and with MLS and the German team Bayer Leverkusen, who share his rights.

FIFA told the U.S. Soccer Federation that it must limit transfers to two periods per year, and MLS can obtain players from foreign teams only from Jan. 1 until March 31 and from Aug. 15 until Sept. 15, rules that are being enforced for the first time this year.

"The FIFA regulations, which we're trying to follow, require that we set in conjunction with our league a transfer window, which we've done,'' USSF spokesman Jim Moorhouse said. ``That concludes on March 31, and any players coming into the United States have to theoretically arrive before that day.''

Under those rules, Donovan may not be able to return to MLS's San Jose Earthquakes until August. But because the parties are discussing a loan instead of an outright transfer, it's not clear whether the window applies.

``With Donovan, we have an agreement with the player, Leverkusen and the American club for a loan deal,'' Mandaric said. ``But it's an unfortunate situation as we've run into problems with FIFA.''

Donovan, who has 14 goals in 44 international appearances, helped the U.S. team reach the quarterfinals of the World Cup and San Jose win last year's MLS title.

``We have been in discussions with multiple clubs in the EPL and well as with US Soccer and MLS to arrange a loan deal with Landon through the end of the EPL season," said Donovan's agent Richard Motzkin. "At this point, we are trying to work through the new FIFA regulations to determine whether this is possible. We should have a resolution by the end of the week.''

FIFA spokesman Andreas Herren said soccer's governing body could not respond until its legal department could be contacted Tuesday.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well this deal got squashed by the FA and Im glad. The FA forced that Donovan would sit out till the transfer window reopens in the mls on Aaugust 15th.

Donovan expresses frustration at end of Portsmouth deal

Print this story AIM this story Email this story

BY JOHN RICE
Associated Press
Feb. 2, 2004 3:48 p.m.

ZAPOPAN, Mexico (AP)— Landon Donovan expressed frustration Monday at the collapse of his proposed loan to Portsmouth of England's Premier League.
"I had the opportunity to go for three or four months - no long-term commitment - and I can come back and live in America. ... It was perfect from every angle," Donovan said.

Major League Soccer had worked out an agreement to send the 21-year-old forward to Portsmouth for the rest of the English season, which ends in May. But the deal fell through because of new restrictions on transfers.

The new rules meant that if Donovan had gone to England, he could not have rejoined the San Jose Earthquakes until Aug. 15.

Donovan, in Mexico with the U.S. under-23 team for Olympic qualifying, has 15 goals in 45 games with the national team. His rights are owned by MLS and Germany's Bayer Leverkusen.

FIFA, soccer's governing body, told the U.S. Soccer Federation last year that it must set transfer windows. The USSF, after consulting with MLS, said they would be from Jan. 1 to March 31 and from Aug. 15 to Sept. 15.

"It's a bummer," Donovan said. "They have said the reason they put these in was to help the player and to benefit the player, and this certainly doesn't benefit the player."

Donovan isn't ready to make a long-term commitment to playing abroad.

"I don't want to be locked up for three, four or five years," he said. "I'd rather be here and try it out first. If I had the chance to go on loan and experience it and then I like it, then maybe."

When he first went to Germany to join Leverkusen when he was 16, Donovan never got into a game. He joined MLS in 2001.

Asked if he had any desire to return to Leverkusen, he said: "Not really. If it has to be long-term, definitely not."

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Thats good im glad us players are doing this because its just gonna make us better when it comes to the wORLD cUP AND THATS ALWAYS A PLUS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts