Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say if you want Donadoni to stay onboard for WC 2010. But only with your fingers

:thumbsup: or :thmbdown:

I'll give him a : :thmbdown:

Reason: He just isn't good enough, he didn't even have his prefered first 11 (or he listened to media too much). A quarterfinal for Italy is ultimatly a failure.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Im in between... if Lippi comes back then we should have Lippi, otherwise he should stay.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
I am for him staying, the reason is I want Bulgaria to have some glimmer of a chance to qualify for the WC. ;)

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Im in between... if Lippi comes back then we should have Lippi, otherwise he should stay.
Everyone called for Lippi's head until the start of the tournament.

Granted he is the best looking 70 year old dude in the planet, and a great tactician, but he quit the nazionale. He has nothing else to bring to the table.

Furthermore, he had the luck of a champion. I don't think he did anything remarkable with that particular Italian team, the players just gelled well together and were aggressive. They weren't aggressive this Euro, but that wasn't Donadoni's fault.
Taking one common data point, Italy has done better against France under Donadoni (even with the Paris loss) than with Lippi.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
oh, they Gelled Well in 2006 themselves, and they deGelled themselves in 2008....

Give Gattuso the player/Coach coach.... since there is nothing a coach can contribute other than Luck :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Say if you want Donadoni to stay onboard for WC 2010. But only with your fingers

:thumbsup: or :thmbdown:

I'll give him a : :thmbdown:.

Very Roman thing to do. Honestly he should go, not because he's a bad manager but because he's short on courage.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
A10
In a national team, in south america I think sometimes they take it a bit too far but the national team coach is generally referred to as a "seleccionador" or selectioner, someone that calls the players, see's what to work with and picks a formation.

Beckenbauer and Sacchi, claimed that coaching an NT is a lot more of a random process than a club team. Sacchi even called it a "virtual" team which is assembled every other month and everyone has high expectations for.

What I am saying is that Lippi is a great coach, but he had good fortune with him and a solid locker room. All the players in Italy are in most of the best teams in the world, you can't impart tactics on them. Its just making them work together, generally you only have time to motivate them and try a few things.
Lippi's best move was to follow Ancelotti and put Pirlo in the Milan role, and he took over since Italy had no offensive threat whatosever (without considering DP in extratime against Germany)
And Italy, against Spain, worked as a unit. Their inability to pull forward of course is much to be questioned with, but I do not see that as a Donadoni effect, its just that Spain was plain better.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
At the start of the tournament, I thought Donadoni was just a really bad manager, but after the initial loss, I think he was pretty much spot on in a lot of his decisions and that this Italy team was simply not good enough. There was nothing Donadoni could do to take them further.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
the legend speaks

Donadoni Is Gutless - Signori
Former Italy and Lazio legend Giuseppe Signori has launched a scathing attack on Roberto Donadoni claiming the Azzurri coach has no courage following the Azzurri's exit from Euro 2008.

La Nazionale were eliminated from the European Championship 4-2 on penalties against an average Spanish side who, for all their fire power up front, just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net without the help of penalties.

The Italian media have joined forces to launch a serious campaign to get Donadoni out. Signori, who reached the 1994 World Cup final alongside Donadoni, has joined the media bandwagon and criticised his old Nazionale team mate.

“Is it Donadoni's fault? Well, all I can say is that a coach who has someone like Toni shouldn't have played him until the end. He didn't have the courage to replace him with Borriello,” Signori told Radio Anchio Sport.

“Donadoni just didn't have the guts to trust his other strikers when he should have because we were poor up front.

“The team went out without playing how they could and should have. They gave up and they never really put Spain in difficulty. “We waited around and we were punished on the penalty shoot-out.

"Maybe the European Championship is more difficult than the World Cup but this is no excuse as they should have played well from the start.”

Donadoni's time on the Azzurri bench seems like it's running out. Reports in Italy claim that he may quit his job within a matter of days following his debacle in the European Championship.

No Euro, no guts and no job could only mean a fate for Donadoni similar to the one endured by Steve McLaren and England when the Three Lions were ridiculed for their failure to qualify for the Euro's last year.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
:howler:

·
1st Tier Poster
50,813 Posts
He definitely shouldn't stay, he failed to get the best out of this team. Of course this team wasn't good enough to win the tournament but still these displays were particularly bland and unconvincing. And it's not like the qualification campaign was an immense success either. I hope the Italian FA won't repeat the mistake they did with Trap.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
his football really suck........typical england style anti football, I just want true attacking football at this moment.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Only for Spalletti.

Carlo is a far better version of Donadoni, but tactically they wouldn't play all that different, and I believe that with the few times a year Italy would meet up this wouldn't be enough.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
“Is it Donadoni's fault? Well, all I can say is that a coach who has someone like Toni shouldn't have played him until the end. He didn't have the courage to replace him with Borriello,” Signori told Radio Anchio Sport.
lol. If the decision to sub Borriello in for the last 20 minutes of a game is the distinction between having courage or not, then that's a pretty weak argument from Signori.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
no you fool...its not a question of 1 game..the whole tournoment

when carnevale ****ed up in 1990 he wasnt given a 2nd chance
same with vialli..altho he had more time.

galderesri in 1986 etc

toni wasnt taken off the field despite noshowing for 4 games straight

gutless

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
2 fvckin years I've told you guys that this fool isnt good enough to lead our team to any trophies.....get rid of DONEadoni NOW !!!!!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
At the end of the final tournament there are 15 coaches who don't win the Henri Delaunay trophy....

...subbing Luca Toni for Marco Borriello is nonsense. Borriello has had one good season in Serie A for a mid-table team...has never played in the Azzurri shirt...and has a questionable mental make-up based on his personal life.

...keeping the same theme of inexperience...Donadoni was undone by his lack of experience, not only with the Azzurri, but as a manager in general. He just has not been in enough situations, let alone pressure situations, that being the manager of a perennial World Cup and Euro cup favourite necessitates.

At the end of the day, how can we judge his performance....he fielded the exact team against Spain that most of us would have fielded..(aside from maybe starting Ambrosini)...he was handcuffed with injuries (even Lippi would have failed miserably without Cannavaro and Pirlo)....saddled with intense media scrutiny....and had no help from his players imo.

Some say the tactics of being too defensive were wrong...but honestly...would we have beaten Spain any other way. If any one of you were the coach...would you have honestly sat there and told your players to open the game up with the depleted squad that you had. Honestly. As it is, we were nearly exploited several times by quick passing movements of the Spanish. If we had "gone for it" like some ppl like to say in hindsight...we would have surely lost 3 or 4 nothing. Then the criticism would have surely still be there...but just from a different angle.

Sure he's not the right coach for the Azzurri, but some of the criticisms are ludicrous and baseless.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts