Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important are the domestic cups to the "big four"?
None of the top four clubs in england will win either of the two cups this year. Is this a testament to the priorities of the ownership and managers, or does it just come down to the players unable to get up for such games when there are so many other more important matches in the run of the season. Just a thought, I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Well I think the Premier League and the Champions League take priority over everything else, then if you progress in the FA Cup it's a bonus and if you lose in the Carling Cup it doesn't really matter.

·
African WC haha
5,934 Posts
The Carling cup is ok for the kids, the FA Cup has lost something certainly imo.

Its not that players cant be arsed, the clubs have different targets. Finishing 4th is more important than winning the FA Cup for example. The weaker PL teams would much rather finish 17th than win the Cup.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I don't think you can say that the big four don't care about the cups because they've all been knocked out. The Carling Cup is worthless of course and only Chelsea take it seriously of the big four, but the FA Cup is still important, just not as much as the league and CL. Man Utd and Chelsea have taken the FA Cup very seriously this season, it's just that this season has been a crazy one in terms of upsets. Liverpool also may have played a weakened side against Barnsley but Benitez couldn't have envisaged them losing that game even with the team they put out. We're the only ones in the big four who actually threw away the FA Cup by fielding a horribly weak team in a very tough fixture.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm pretty sure the answer is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's in the EPL and the Champions league but not in the CC and FA Cup, money rules the world guys

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
If we didn't have Man Utd away then AC Milan in the CL days later we would have cared about it but it just wasn't feasible to be strong in both games so we sacrified the cup. Shame, I don't think Wenger wanted to but he's learned a little from last season.

Carling Cup. Need you ask.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I still think the FA Cup means something to the big clubs for sure. There hasn't been a club who has won it outside the big four since 95 I believe. I think its good for the cup this year that the winner wont come from the big four.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
The FA Cup means something but as it did in the days of old.

Soon the FA Cup will be the same as it is in Europe, insignificant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts