Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It baffles me why he hasn't been called up yet. Seeing him play against Inter just reaffirmed my belief that when on form he's definitely Azzurri material. He personifies everything good about the Italian midfield game - sublime one-touches on the ball and very very good vision. I know I will be severely criticised (again) for veering from the norm, but if I were Azzurri coach I would pick my team with Morfeo ahead of Pirlo, not in terms of footballing ability but in terms of style.

Since we're on the subject, I think Lippi is really doing well in terms of squad selection so far. Dropping Del Piero is a definitive first step towards unbiased coaching (He was his captain at Juve after all) and I think Lippi gives a lot of opportunities to young players which I think is brilliant. He also rewards players who are on form irregardless of stature (Langella!) and somewhat listens to the fans (Parisi! De Sanctis!). Maybe the reason why I like him so much is because he gives me the feeling he is a fan first then a coach later. Call up Morfeo if you're listening!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I can't agree with you about Morfeo -- too me he's the very definition of overrated, in spite of barely being rated ;) -- but I'm glad Lippi is giving younger players a chance, particularly in friendlies.

As for Del Piero, I've been wondering lately if Lippi felt compelled to play him at Juventus and is now relieved to have a free hand. Probably just my evil imagination, though.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I love Morfeo and I wish him the best and when he is on his game he definately deserves an Italian call-up but so often he is injured and that makes him inconsistent as for ahead of Pirlo I would say no because Pirlo at Milan is much better than Morfeo in technical ability and style, however they play two different positions. I also am reasonably pleased with what Lippi has done do far but I'll go with Primo on this one he has got to start shaping a team that he is going to take into Germany or else he all this fiddling and trying new players will be in vain.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ruffian said:
As for Del Piero, I've been wondering lately if Lippi felt compelled to play him at Juventus and is now relieved to have a free hand. Probably just my evil imagination, though.
:dielaugh: :dielaugh: It does make some sense though..

As for Morfeo, well maybe because everytime I see him I've been impressed. I don't think I've ever witnessed a terrible game from him, but then again I don't get to watch too many Parma matches. Granted he was rated very highly when he was at Fiorentina, I think the Italian public just gave up on him when he lost his way.. it's better for him, because when he's out of the limelight he does seem to perform better. Parma have definitely benefited from his vision in midfield, that's for sure. Too bad he's so skinny because he always seem to get bundled down.

Yeah he and Pirlo play in different positions but in terms of passing technique I have to say as a coach I would prefer Morfeo's style. :drunk:

·
Registered
46,394 Posts
Morfeo can't play in the same position of Pirlo, if ever he could be a sub for Totti as trequartista. Yet, i don't think that he deserves the call.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think that he is a pretty good player....

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
if players like pirlo cant get a game, then i dont see morfeo having much hope. if lippi played a different formation, i think he could have more of a chance getting called up. but to me, morfeo isnt exactly a world beater and i think lippi really needs to get this team organised from now.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
ToniSamp said:
Morfeo can't play in the same position of Pirlo, if ever he could be a sub for Totti as trequartista. Yet, i don't think that he deserves the call.

I agree. Morfeo is very inconsistent and I don't think he is really needed in the team. Cassano can play in Totti's position if needed and we won't miss him in attack since the choice of attackers is much bigger than in the creative midfielders department.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Morfeo spends more time lying on the grass then on his feets :tongue:

Seriously, he's too unconsistent and selfish and I never rated him as anything special, he was always dissapointing in the bigger teams he played at. I don't know what he would offer our NT.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
nasty nick said:
Seriously, he's too unconsistent and selfish and I never rated him as anything special, he was always dissapointing in the bigger teams he played at. I don't know what he would offer our NT.

He is rather more consistent on getting injured :tongue: .

Morfeo without injuries would be the closest best sub for Totti. He's a magician when not injured. Alot of people still judge him for the shitty player he was at Inter. Come on it's Inter damn it ;)

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Valdrin said:

Morfeo without injuries would be the closest best sub for Totti. He's a magician when not injured. Alot of people still judge him for the shitty player he was at Inter. Come on it's Inter damn it ;)
I agree. I think when Morfeo's on form, only Totti is a better passer of the ball in Italy.

Morfeo's stint at Inter was a disaster, though, nobody can argue with that.. but don't judge him based on that.. he has been really explosive for Parma since he joined them. Yeah he gets injured a lot but he's good on the pitch when he's fit.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Valdrin said:

No, Locatelli would be the closest Totti sub without injuries, he was fantastic when he played for Udinese, but then he got massive injury problems.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
nasty nick said:
No, Locatelli would be the closest Totti sub without injuries, he was fantastic when he played for Udinese, but then he got massive injury problems.
Locatelli has played for Bologna the last 3-4 years, or did you mean when he played against Udine?

I can't agree with you because Locatelli is simply not a playmaker. If anything he's more like a Nedved.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Morfeo's back! His blistering performance against Reggina should by now convince any doubters that he's definitely NT material when on song.

I don't know about you guys but if Maresca and Blasi can find themselves wearing our blue then this man arguably deserves his chance. I'm a big fan.

Channel 4 Player of the Week: Domenico Morfeo

An inspirational brace from Domenico Morfeo helped Parma to a 3-1 win over Reggina at the weekend. His performance reminded the Gialloblu faithful and the Italian Press that there is more to Parma this season than just the talents of star striker Alberto Gilardino.

The 22-year-old has weighed in with 16 goals this season and before Sunday’s game the Tardini boys had only won once when Gila had failed to score. By a quirk of fate it was also against Reggina in Week 11 that they managed the feat and it again fell to Morfeo to provide the firepower.

In the thirteenth year of his professional career, Morfeo has emerged as a steady performer for Pietro Carmignani’s side. His tally of goals is relatively slim, but then he has never been a prolific scorer from midfield – apart from one crazy season in Bergamo when he reached double figures for the Orobici.

His talent has always been as the creator but his curse has always been inconsistency. After productive spells at Atalanta and Fiorentina a move to Milan beckoned but it was not to be the fairytale he had hoped for. After making just eleven appearances for the Rossoneri he didn’t leave a lasting impression and drifted on to Cagliari and Verona before returning to the San Siro with Inter.

Another unfulfilling year passed by before his summer 2003 transfer to Parma. His arrival in Emilia Romagna coincided with the explosive emergence of Gilardino and the pair complimented each other well. Gila benefited from Morfeo’s creativity and sparks of genius, while the resulting output of 23 goals eased the pressure on the midfielder to finally live up to the billing his undoubted talent deserved.

The 29-year-old’s second season with the Gialloblu has been another disappointing one, with the fear of relegation constantly hanging over the club. However, against Reggina on Sunday Morfeo eased those worries slightly and produced the kind of display that has frustrated and delighted in equal measure throughout his career.

Parma went into the game with a terrible record at Reginna and hovering a single point above the drop zone. With the situation looking grim, Parma suffered an added insult with the injury to Mark Bresciano in the pre-match warm-up. What followed though was almost a one-man show by Morfeo.

After 21 minutes the provider turned recipient as Gilardino threaded him through and with a delightful flick Morfeo took the ball over the goalkeeper before tucking away the opener. It was Morfeo’s creativity on the half hour that nearly furthered the lead as he sent in a pinpoint corner that Renato Olive headed against the frame of the goal.

Five minutes into the second half Morfeo showed his talents at creating his own chances as he waltzed towards goal before driving in a precise shot from the edge of the box. Reggina pulled a goal back from the penalty spot but before the nerves started to set in Morfeo was able to use his influence again to settle the tie. This time it was his pass finding Fabio Simplicio who sealed the victory, Parma’s first away win since the turn of the year.

The impact Morfeo had on the game did not go unnoticed. Coach Pietro Carmignani stated in the post-match interview: “Domenico Morfeo is not only an important player for the goals he scores, but also for his remarkable character.”

If he can continue to show the kind of character he displayed at the Stadio Granillo then Parma should have no trouble avoiding the slip into Serie B and there may just be a UEFA Cup Final to look forward to. That would be a crowning achievement for the midfielder whose career has never hit the heights that he is so clearly capable of reaching.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Maresca has never worn our blue. Morfeo is a good option but is going to be tough for him as Del Piero is emerging again and Morfeo is injured a lot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are we going to have a thread every time someone scores a couple of goals in seria A . On how he should be on the NT!!! You need to be consistant!!! Which Morfeo isn't. Maccarone scored this week to, should he get a call to? How does this sound for the NT. Maccarone, Benito Carbone and Morfeo as our trident attack for the next qualifying game.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Jimmy C said:
Are we going to have a thread every time someone scores a couple of goals in seria A . On how he should be on the NT!!! You need to be consistant!!! Which Morfeo isn't. Maccarone scored this week to, should he get a call to? How does this sound for the NT. Maccarone, Benito Carbone and Morfeo as our trident attack for the next qualifying game.
That's disrespectful. Morfeo has had a good season and is Parma's second best player behind Gilardino according to Gazzetta dello Sport. (and I'm sure Gila gets slightly higher grades because he's the new poster boy and a future superstar...)

Gilardino ATT 6.29
Morfeo CEN 6.21
Simplicio CEN 6.15
Marchionni CEN 6.13
Frey POR 6.1
Bresciano CEN 5.96

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
22^ Giornata Bologna-Parma 3-1 6.5 6.06
23^ Giornata Parma-Inter 2-2 6.5 6.08
24^ Giornata Fiorentina-Parma 2-1 5.0 6.03
25^ Giornata Parma-Brescia 2-1 7.0 6.08
27^ Giornata Parma-Cagliari 3-2 7.0 6.12
28^ Giornata Atalanta-Parma 1-0 5.5 6.09
29^ Giornata Parma-Palermo 3-3 7.0 6.13
30^ Giornata Reggina-Parma 1-3 8.0 6.21

Only 2 below par games out of the last 8. Also look at the results. When we win he's never bad.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts