Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to Camp Nou in November and now I'm watching Real-Roma. All I hear is the Roma fans and the ever so annoying honking horns from the Real supporters.

Why? Do they never sing? No flags? No tifo?

Do Spanish teams lack devoted fans or why is it like this?

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to Madrid at the end of March, when they are playing Sevilla. The tickets are pretty expensive and if all I'm going to hear are honking horns by small kids on the row behind me I don't think it's worth it to be honest.

Is there a historical reason to this? Isn't there any "ultras" in Spain?

ps. I think the Sevilla fans are a bit better, yes?

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I'm going to Madrid at the end of March, when they are playing Sevilla. The tickets are pretty expensive and if all I'm going to hear are honking horns by small kids on the row behind me I don't think it's worth it to be honest.

Is there a historical reason to this? Isn't there any "ultras" in Spain?

ps. I think the Sevilla fans are a bit better, yes?
There are historical factors. First of all, when the hooliganism rised in England and the ultra movement grew in Italy, Spain were under a dictatorship.

The ultra movement had its peak in the 80s and early 90s. After some violent events, the clubs (or some of them) put restrictions to the ultras. At the end, they're small groups compared with their European relatives.

Yes, the Spanish stadiums are less noisy, but there's a reason for it: the end of violence. It's true that not all the clubs were fully commited in this task and still you can see some small ultra groups out there.

In Spain, the concept is non-violent ultra doesn't exist... and the clubs that are more permissive with them (Atletico, Betis, Sevilla) are also the clubs that have more problems with violence in and out of the stadiums.

Are the Sevilla fans better? It depends on what you want. Yes, they can be more noisy... but I prefer a quiet fan than a violent fan.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
I dunno, but I have season tickets for my local MLS team here, and there is zero violence. Just 20,000 people singing for 90 minutes and having a good time. The away fans say it's the best atmosphere in the league.

In terms of Spain, I also feel it's a Spanish culture, too. Portuguese are the same way. Going to the games are like going to the theatre. People dress nicely, have their programs and handkerchiefs with them, and applaud goals and some good plays. That's generally it. For instance, look at what time most EPL and Serie A games are played compared to when Real Madrid and Barcelona play. The latter two play sometimes at 9 or 10 PM! People dress up, go out for a nice dinner, then attend the football match for the entertainment in their evening. It's just a different culture.

Unfortunately, like JA said, violence is equated with the singing and more lively fans in Spain. The Basques are the worst. Osasuna at Reyno de Navarra, or Athletic at San Mames, have violent and disgusting fans. I am saying right now it's NOT the majority(not over 50%), but the sad truth is that many act like absolute animals when Real Madrid play there. The objects thrown at the players are signs of complete filth.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
The atmosphere at the Vicente Calderon (Atletico) and Sanchez Pizjuan (Sevilla) are easily among the top fan generated atmospheres in Europe. The fans are singing, dancing, jumping or whatever you want all game long and its never quiet there, yes the Bernabeu and Camp Nou are extremely disappointing in terms of noise but you have to take into account that those two stadiums are way bigger than the Calderon and the Pizjuan.

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
i think the atmosphere in the big stadiums in Spain also depends on the opponent. It gets more heated the bigger the rival is. But I agree with K4, it also can become more violent.

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
Sevilla and Betis fans are fantastic
ehhh I doubt about that when they play against each other. There have been several incidents before...

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's true that Spanish stadiums are less noisy than English, but less than Italian? I watch Serie A and lots of stadiums are half empty, I see a much better atmosphere in La Liga.

Real Madrid and Barcelona fans are more silent (except in big games), but there are stadiums like Calderón, Mestalla, Sánchez Pizjuán, San Mamés... with good atmosphere.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Atmosphere and attendaces are two seperate issues.

Even at half empty Italian stadiums the atmosphere is phenomenal.
Whatever, I think La Liga has a better atmosphere overall.

·
Registered
34,126 Posts
Atmosphere and attendaces are two seperate issues.

Even at half empty Italian stadiums the atmosphere is phenomenal.
Not really, i've seen many Serie A games and the lack of any significant fans makes many of the Serie A games really lacking in atmosphere.

And, they are not a seperate issue, if they are hardly any fans (and Serie A attendances are horrendous, really) how else do you expect any atmosphere?

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
yes spanish fans sing alot, go to vicente calderon and you will see the best fans ever...it happens to me when i went there when i was 10 :proud: :proud:

·
Registered
23 Posts
The fans in Sevilla are my favorite IMO.

But maybe that's because I'm a Sevillista.

But in all seriousness, fans in the Sanchez Pizjuan, sing clap, jump, yell and are standing all game long. There are 'ultras' that exist, but they aren't as big as in other clubs.

If you go to a game there, you will have no complaints.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Sevilla and Betis fans are fantastic
Not like anybody took your opinion seriously, but I felt the need to quote this again today after the absolutely disgusting actions from Betis fans yet again. Bunch of animals.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Yes, the Spanish stadiums are less noisy, but there's a reason for it: the end of violence.
I'm sorry but I disagree. You can not even compare the sheer amount of support, be it through singing or simply shouting that one witnesses in every single match in England and in Spain and that has absolutely nothing to do with violence. It's a different way of following the game, maybe a different football culture but violence is also absent from the English stadiums and the Spanish ones next to them look like churches.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts