Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came up in the Chel$ki forum and I thought it deserved opening up.

On talent I think no. I do think his amazing consistency of playing week in week out at the same high level deserves considering though so I'd certainly say he's top 10 now.

Opinions on how highly Fat Frank rates?

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Initially I did kinda think "huh?" to the suggestion.

The more I think about it though the more it makes sense. We're talking about a goalscoring, assisting, tough tackling, engine midfielder who never ever has a bad game. His top level is below that of a lot of players but his average level surely must be right up there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
no way in the world is he the best player, there are plenty of central midfielders alone who are better than him eg Pirlo, Emerson

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I would say he is top 10 midfielders though, No doubt with his form but no way the best in the world.

Lampard v Gerrard, I can smell that thread opening soon.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
i don't know Ciccio, i think it's not that clear if Pirlo is actually better than him, since Pirlo has his limitations too. i'd definitely put Lampard in the Italian NT alongside him though, if possible :hopefull: ;)

imo the main reason that Lampard gets all this praise would be his goal scoring. in any case i think it's good to have midfielders in your side who can win you games. the down side is if he starts thinking he is the man and taking too many ridiculous shots. but i guess you take the good with the bad sometimes, and i think he is pretty good :thmbup:

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Faisal said:
I would say he is top 10 midfielders though, No doubt with his form but no way the best in the world.

Lampard v Gerrard, I can smell that thread opening soon.

Being English my equation is Lampard + Gerrard. :strong: . Once those two have another year of playing together at top level I can't see any team going into Germany with a better central midfield than us.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Being English my equation is Lampard + Gerrard. :strong: . Once those two have another year of playing together at top level I can't see any team going into Germany with a better central midfield than us.
your lot will be unstoppable like usual won't they? especially with all your quality defenders. i can't wait to see the way the media in your country build up this latest tilt at the World Cup. :scared: :D ;)

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
How can he not be one of the best when he scores so many (14?), sets up so many goals (20?) and wins so many tackles? Most midfielders are either defencive or offencive and he is both, and not mediocre in both area's but in fact right up there with the best of them. So how can he not have talent if he does all this? He doesn't beat peiople with step overs but he DOES beat people. In the Bayern game he was surrounded by three players at one stage and turned out of it and was free on a run.

And I don't see anything here that proves otherwise, only ignores the facts and looks at his nationality.

How are Pirlo and Emerson better? Can people at least BACKUP their statements.

Faisal - Whats the point? Lampard is clearly better. :pp

·
Registered
687 Posts
Top midfielder in the world? Hell no! It's not that Lampard is doing a Beckham in EPL and England, to gain that kind of reputation..

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vagabondo said:
your lot will be unstoppable like usual won't they? especially with all your quality defenders. i can't wait to see the way the media in your country build up this latest tilt at the World Cup. :scared: :D ;)
Oh there'll be a frenzy alright. Assuming everyone stays fit we'll have our best squad since at least 1990 (Platt, Gazza, Lineker, Waddle and co) so I'm very much looking forward to it. :)

Just need to persuade Sven to go out with the Beckham and in with the SWP.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I agree you can't say Pirlo is better than Lampard, Lampard is more complete thats for sure. Emerson is a more defensive player and for me even though people think he has been great this season I saw a younger and better Emerson at Roma over the years, At CM Lampard is more complete there aswell. For me Lampard is one of the best CM's around but not the best player in the world.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
1,944 Posts
Lampard is in the form of his life right now and AT THE MOMENT, he is top 10. He may even be in my top 5.

BUT. If you compare Lampard's best (current form), to the best form of players like Vieira, Pirlo, Emerson, or Deco, then he's still a little behind. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
for sure lampards one of the best midfielders in the game, i may not like a few of his rash challenges at times, but you have to give credit where it's due...

without a doubt i feel he's chelsea's engine and probaly the biggest influence for chelsea's success at least so far... :)

if lampard and gerrard go into germany with their current form really englands midfield would be a force to reckon with...

1 - 20 of 121 Posts