Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
80+ police injured in Serie A last week and now disgraceful images of players being pelted and even being hit by Flares. Should Italy adopt the model created by England?, i.e Safety regulations and TRAINED Stewards in every ground, before things spiral out of control and get even worse?

·
International
8,545 Posts
YOu have to weigh the so-called atmosphere against safety and I think safety should win since these types of incidents just continue to happen. I think all leagues should focus more on preventing these incidents but I think a lot of them are afraid to go after the ultras for the effect it'll have on the club. It might hurt in the beginning but in the long run it'll work out.

But I don't think Italians should stop brushing their teeth :tongue:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I can see no need for any fan to be in possession of a flare. The people throwing these objects are not there for the football, they are there for the violence and aggravation.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Yes, they do. I know as a fact the French went to England to learn about what to do security-wise. So these days you see 'stewards' dressed in fluoro yellow shell suits manning the stadiums.

I think you will find that security techniques used by the English need to be looked at in Italy. That means camera surveillance, ID checks, more information taken when everyone buys a ticket. And a data base of known problem-starters. especially a one-off matches like this, fans will take the risk of lighting stuff. And can be protected in the anonymity of their respective fan clubs.

And possibly go to the extreme of what they do in India at the cricket and have the playing area surrounded by giant nets. So that objects cannot reach the playing surface at all.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
There is a big tradeoff
Part of the reason is that Since Italy is a latin country (let me continue on with this theory if you disagree please let me know) we latin people tend to Snap in total onslaught when the shit hits the fan.
Another part is that the "forces of order" or carabinieri there are just less civilized than in many of the other european countries, so there is a lot of problems between the curvas and the law, because both parties retort to violence with ease.
I think there needs to be an agreement, signed, within the curvas and the law, which allows more police force in the curvas in such a way that the curvas are regulated but their coreography is practically unharmed
Italy has the best coreographies in the world, especially AC Milan (In my humble and biased opinion), and flares are an intrinsic part of this.

Until this point, there is absolutely no comparison to even put the italian ultras and the old english hooligans on the same level. In Ac Milan history, I can recall only one case of murder in the curva, and it happened around 91-93. This is disgraceful, but in the bigger picture, it isn't as bad as other places, like turkey, old england, and so on

I don't think england should be set as an example to follow, though I very much respect their system since it works there very effectively.
Every league is different and every ambience should be different, for that is the beauty of the sport. Enough should be done to prevent the incidents of last night, but the true nature of an italian stadium is not that of an english stadium, where everyone is on their seats clapping.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
yes they should,England has come a long way since those dark days of the really shocking hooliganism.some of the crowd trouble in Italy is deplorable.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The problem is rife all over Europe...Even in Barcelona, at Espanyol's derby against Barcelona there were seats being ripped out and thrown, etc..

The renegade element amongst the 'tifosi' must have some connections with local police or this sort of thing couldn't continue. I really don't see how it's so difficult to stop it..All it comes down to is complacency on behalf of the authorities and some very deluded fans with their life priorities all in the wrong place..

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
My opinion is this is not the police's fault or stewards or whatever. The ultras of every Itaian club are maniacs and until they dont go to football matches, this will happen all the time. ANyway its not that big a deal what happened. In England its only a big deal because it gives them something to talk about, but the ref shouldnt have made such a stupid decision at such a fustrating time for the Inter fans anyway

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I like flares at the stadium, For me it is better atmosphere when a fan has possession of a flare than a hot dog like in England.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
It has to stop indeed but at the same time the passion and atmosphere at Italian matches is among the best in the world. Ive been to football matches in England and Italy and the atmosphere can not be compared. The fans and enjoyment at Italian stadia is much higher thna when Ive been to matches here in England where they only cheer if the ball is near the penlaty area.

Of course at times it goes overboard and the ultras will act stupid, but what happened yday was not much of a big deal, from what I hear no one died and Dida only got hit because for some reason it looked like he wanted to be hit.

Apart from this, The Inter and Milan fans are normally the best behaved in Italy and Europe. Especially when you consider the size of each club.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I agree with Deano...it also seemed that way to me. already posted my opinion in the Milan forum.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Whatever he could possibly gain from it would not be worth the risk. What if it hit him square in the face or from his angle in the side of the face where his eye would exposed and his ear?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
yes Im for real. Nobody in their right mind would stand in a penalty area while bottles and flares are continually being thrown into it.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
like I said, if you can tell me why he didnt move away from that area, I will agree with you.

·
International
8,545 Posts
On the other hand, nobody in their right mind would want to get hit in the head by a flare.

If he did take one square off the head Inter might have been suspended for a year at most and is that really worth it?

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Even if people were willing to follow that theory, and for discussion's sake we will, what would Dida gain? His team are already going through, he has no axe to grind with Inter. I don't know why he didn't leave the area, but it's not even remotely his fault that the thing happened, so it's an irrelevant point.

Italy SHOULD follow England's example, or someone's example. This sort of thing simply cannot be allowed to continue, regardless of what the fans want or cultural differences. The Italian authorities need to get off their asses and open up a serious can of whoop-ass on everybody. There is simply no excuse whatsoever for holding so many large sporting events with such pathetic security.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts