Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mean everyone so freely talks about England winning the WC but is it gonna be the same old story where ENG gets nuffing out of the most important football competition in the world?

I personally hope that ENG wins the WC but i most definatly wont be betting on them to take it!

So the question is, DO 'YOU' HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT THEY "WILL" WIN IT?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hey green bro, fancy bumping into you in an English forum of all places:tongue:

Anyways I think England should be well pleased to get out of the group. Here is why I don't think England will have success. I gotta admit that the '98 team wasn't bad and played some good soccer. So i'm going to compare your present squad to that one. First off Scholes was fantastic in '98 but hasn't been on it for a long time (comparitively). Beckham has had a truly bad year for Beckham and is recovering from an injury. Owen is a very talented young man but he is very injury prone (not his fault he gets hacked to bits in the EPL). So you have your star players not in as good shape as '98. Secondly Englands play recently has been very very uninventive whereas in '98 it was decent. Perhaps this is because you have no real leadership in the midfield anymore. Even with everyone health England doesn't have a midfield General to lead and create. Now in '98 you had Ince who may have been old but was a leader and creator. Add ontop of this the fact that you don't really have the teamwork to overcome these problems

First round match by match summary:

Argentina - You may blast me for this considering the rivaly but there is no way you can beat Argentina. I think a draw is highly unlikely. Argentina are too good, that and England don't play well against teams with playmakers and Argentina have them in spades.

Sweden - Sweden has a history of playing very well against England and while they are not an exciting team they are very sold and together. It will probably be a draw. It could be a win for Sweden.

Nigeria - ???? I really don't know what Nigeria are truly capable of yet. You will probably get a win out of this if you don't get too cocky.

Argentina will take the group, The Sweden match will probably determine if you go through.

If you go to the second round you'll be playing France which means you'll be going home.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Secondly Englands play recently has been very very uninventive whereas
umm....yes recently the football has been disjointed because of all the SUBS Sven hasnt had the chance to feild the full squad...

Beckham didnt have a good season? actualy he did, he was playing VERY VERY well just before he got his injury....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Romire said:
Beckham has had a truly bad year for Beckham and is recovering from an injury.
Beckham is so much better than he was in 1998 and he has played well the last few months (apart from the injury) and thats coming from a Liverpool supporter.

Romire said:
Argentina - You may blast me for this considering the rivaly but there is no way you can beat Argentina. I think a draw is highly unlikely. Argentina are too good, that and England don't play well against teams with playmakers and Argentina have them in spades.
Argentina are a fantastic team but i still think they get complacent when they are in major tournaments because they believe their own hype and just get arrogant. Sometimes they play as individuals and if they do that against England we will take them.

Romire said:
If you go to the second round you'll be playing France which means you'll be going home.
France are overrated. They aren't the team they were 4 years ago (and they only won because they met Brazil on a very very bad day) and they havent played competitive football for 2 years which could be a bad thing.

·
Registered
322 Posts
france has imo the best front two in henry and trez,viera and zidane in the middle and a solid defence ,there the real deal.

and i don`t see england getting past the quarters let alone there group,but england vs argentina will be a great match they always are.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Look on the bright side.....After England get past France....which they will, because the French have no spine, then we have a quarter final to play against almost inevitably, Brazil.....!!!

Without a shadow of a doubt, England have a very tough draw, not jusat at the group stages.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
lskydiver said:

France are overrated. They aren't the team they were 4 years ago (and they only won because they met Brazil on a very very bad day) and they havent played competitive football for 2 years which could be a bad thing.
You are a true genius... this is all true... France are soo overrated and were very lucky 4 years to win the tournament... to top all this off they had a much better team now...

It's not the problem of the players that they produce but the fact that they have not really moved on... true picking Cisse in the squad was a good move you can balance that out by taking Djorkaef, Duggary, Petit and Le Beouf (how the hell do you spell his name;))...

Can England win it... very unlikely with no Gerrard... put simply there are two teams that I do not think they can beat and they are Italy and Argentina... to win it they have to beat both teams IMO...

Qualifying from their group is a bigger enigma though... with the players they have they should...

They should beat Sweden and they should beat Nigeria but neither game will be easy and England could slip up.

Sweden are a solid side and have a good attacking mixture with Larsson, Allback and Ljunberg (not forgetting Ibrahamovic as a sub)...
If England do not play at their very best then Sweden are the type of team that will take full advantage.

Nigeria on the other hand are the type of team that can put on an attacking display that will breach the stingiest of defences. Their emphasis is on attack and on their day they can look awesome... England hopefully will play them when they are having one of their bad days;)

and why do people think that Beckham has had a bad season? He has been superb this year:confused:... better than ever in fact

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
no...i don't think they will win it...i guess either argentina or france will win it...they are just stronger than england...and have better depth...

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
LONDON, May 19(DS)- Newcastle United FC midfielder Kieron Dyer last night delivered the insisted: "I'm fit and ready to play Sweden."

Dyer spoke exclusively to the News of the World before flying out to meet the rest of the England squad in Dubai - and revealed his agony over the last eight days.

He says: "I don't care what it takes, I'm going to play for England in the World Cup."

The 23-year-old has been on an intensive rehabilitation programme since the horror tackle from Southampton's Tahar El Khalej in the last game of the season damaged his medial ligaments.

He has had to suffer hearing the shattering words from England coach Sven Goran Eriksson: Sorry, I can't take you to Japan.

But after persuading Eriksson to give him more time to get fit, Dyer is now confident he will be ready to play against Sweden.
Dyer indicated: "I've given myself a chance - and that's all down to the physios at Newcastle and the people who have stuck their neck on the line for me over the past week.

"This time last week, my World Cup dream was finished. I had no chance, I was on crutches and in tears. But since then I've been walking, swimming and jogging and now I'm raring to go.

"I've been having treatment three times a day. Mr Eriksson phoned me on Wednesday and told me he wanted me to fly out and meet up with the rest of the squad at the end of the week so things are looking good.

"On Sunday he had told me: 'Sorry, but I can't take you' and it left me shattered. I've had a few lows in my career but that was the biggest blow of my life.

"It's difficult to put into words the pain I felt. It was worse than the pain from the injury, I was in bits. All the things that I feared were coming true.

"Look at Gazza and what happened to him. Everyone remembers him from the World Cup in 1990 and how young he was to be playing and the tears and the future he had in front of him. Well, that was his first and last World Cup.

"People have kept on saying to me: 'Don't worry if you don't go, you're young, there'll be others.' But maybe there won't be. Who knows if we'll qualify in 2006? Who knows if I'll get picked?

"I want to be there for this one. I have to be there and that's all I care about at the moment."

Meanwhile, Dyer signed a new contract with Newcastle.
The Magpies' player revealed: "After El Khalej's tackle on me, Bobby (Robson) went berserk.

"Some of the Southampton fans were saying things and he had to be held back from jumping into the crowd by the bench.

"I seriously thought he was going to grab hold of someone and lamp them, he was more upset for me than anyone.

"I've always said Bobby's like a second dad to me - well, a second grandad. I owe him and Sven a massive thank-you."

Commenting on England's chances, he added: "It's difficult - but I have to focus on my fitness and then the decision will be in Sven's hands.

"He's got enough to worry about with the Group of Death but I know we'll get through - and that's what I'll tell the lads.
"People are saying we've got no chance because we'll have to play France in the next round but I don't see it like that.

"We can win our group and go on from there. We'll have to play France, or a team just as good, at some point if we are to win the tournament.

"And the best thing to do will be to knock them out early on."

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Just want to say that if England make it to the second round and play France I will be cheering them on ;) I'd love to see Owen scoring a 93rd minute winner against the arrogant french ;)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
but France do not as they have taken the wrong players :frustrated:... their squad is ok but no-where near Italy's or Argentina's and as a result they will suffer.

Pires is out and who will replace him?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Instinctively, I believe England will not win WC but I do expect they can get through the first round and reach as far as semifinal. You may say I am too optimistic. But I believe a team's success primarily relies on coaching. I don't like Keegan and Hoddle at all. Venables was all right. Bobby Robson was very good. Erikkson will achieve the same level of success.

Besides, I think Argentina is seriously overrated. They are not that good, especially their defence. The biggest opponent should be Sweden cos they are more 'England' than England.:D

·
International
9,526 Posts
Leslie Santos said:

Besides, I think Argentina is seriously overrated. They are not that good, especially their defence. The biggest opponent should be Sweden cos they are more 'England' than England.:D
I tend to agree with that. If we get a decent ref, we should get a result out of them Lets not forget that we've been robbed in two world cup games by ludicrous decisions against Argentina.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I completely agree with the above three posts. Argentina are a team of individuals and their defence is weak sometimes. France are overrated and i'm just waiting for someone to give them a good kicking. They lost in a friendly against Belgium as well. Its only a friendly and Zidane wasn't playing but its a bad sign, will put doubts in the minds of the players and shows they rely too much on Zidane.

I don't think England will win it but we shouldn't be underestimated. As leslie santos said its basically down to coaching, organisation and tactics. Italy hardly have a midfield but they are good because they have great organisation and tactics. England don't have the players that Argentina and France perhaps have but hopefully Sven has brought a bit of the above into the team which could show against the arrogant Argies.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You may say France are overrated, BUT they are still the best International team in the world. It is true that they have a world class player in every position and they are probablt the only country that have.

England have no true left winger or a decent right back.
Italy have no true wingers and they play with no width.
Brazil have a dodgy keeper and they are slightly weak defensively.
Argentina have agreat attack, great midfield, but again slighty weak defensively even though they have Ayala, Samuel, Zanetti, but they have no decent right back and their keeper is very dodgy at times.

France;

------------------Barthez
Sagnol---Thuram---Desially---Lizarazu
--------Vieira-----Zidane-----Petit---
Wiltord------------------------------Henry
-----------------Trezeguet

That is a worldcalss team, and you still have the likes of Makelele, Cisse, Candela etc.......
The scary thing is, France were unstoppable in '98, but now they are even better.
In '98 Henry and Trezeguet were not great goalscorers, in fact Henry was a winger at the time. France had players like Guivarch up front and there only weakness was scoring goals, but now they have the two most feared strikers in the world who are both now great finishers. Also in '98 Petit played alongside Deschamps, who was a good midfielder but nothing compared to Vieira so they are much better in midfield. In defence not much has changed it is still a rock solid defence.
So I think France will win the world cup, but the main threat is Argentina.
England to win the World Cup?..............No Chance! When Gerrard went out with injury, that basically ended all hope of England winning the World Cup, also the conditions in Japan with the climate and the type of pitches will not suit England at all, or for Ireland in that matter
My Darkhorses are Cameroon, they have the quality to produce a major upset and the conditions will suit them.

But still Come on England!
and come on Ireland!

·
International
9,526 Posts
Goonermc said:
England to win the World Cup?..............No Chance! When Gerrard went out with injury, that basically ended all hope of England winning the World Cup, also the conditions in Japan with the climate and the type of pitches will not suit England at all, or for Ireland in that matter
My Darkhorses are Cameroon, they have the quality to produce a major upset and the conditions will suit them.

But still Come on England!
and come on Ireland!

yeah, I mean, I don't think we'll win it either, but I think we'll make it out of the group stage, and not necessarily as second either. But who can tell. I personally think France are still the favourites. Nothing about Argentina suggests to me that the cup has their name written on it. They are amongst several nations capable of winning it, but I wouldn't have a bet on them. Having said that, though, I think they have a slightly better chance than Italy who are also getting hyped up, although not necessarily by anyone outside of their fan base.

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
Goonermc, i'm shocked that you think that Candela, one of Frances best players and one of the best left sided players on the planet would be on bench.

Now, France have good defence, good strikers, good defending midfielder and a good attacker midfielder, but they have no wingers.

Lizarazu and candela are both good, but they play the same position.

Wiltord, really a forward and not a good winger.

Dugarry is good, but once again, more of a forward.

they lack those positions. and Djorkaeff is a disgrace....why he is there is beyond me, i'm sure a player like Stephan Dalmat who is ten times the player Djorkaeff is now should be there.

France have problems too!

Italy have a good team, but traps left 3 or 4 players at home and chose the ridiculas Di Livio, Del Vecchio and Gutusso when it was obvious to bring Di Vaio, Fiore and Ambrosini. I think Trappatonni is Italy's biggest weakness.

Argentina's starting defence is good with Zanetti, Samuel, ayala and Sorin, a real classy defensive line, but i think that they havent got good back ups to these players. Placente comes to mind for left back as well. Midfield is good and strikers are great. They should be up there fav with france and maybe italy.

Now onto England.

they have a major problem with experience. all there players put together have played maybe 15 to 20 games in a WC which be bad when the pressure is on.

Personally i thought that Becks had a top season and Scholes revived Man U when they were in all sorts the first half of the season.

In saying that, these two are the key to Egnland.

Your midfield is probably one of the weakest you have had in a long time. Becks, Scholes are great. But Gerard is gone, players like Dyer, Sinclare will get eaten alive. Hargreaves, Butt are both average. Hargreaves needs another season or two to be at WC status. Butt, well he is there cuz there is no one else i guess.

Why McManaman, Bowyer and Lampard are not there is plain silly. Macca, experienced and by far better than any other midfielder there besides becks and scholes who is equally as good as. Not his fault he plays with the best team on the planet and can't get a game. Bowyer is exactley what England need to replace Gerard and he can play on the right as well. Lampard is a very good talented versitile player and would be a better option to Sinclare. you have no player for the left, macca would be good there, and if becks plays in the middle, you have no player for the right.

You have no strikers besides Owen who is really the only one who is capable of doing something. Heskey is in all sorts and is only there as england dont have anyone else. Fowler, is a good player, but i'm not sure if he is capable of performing greatly in such a tournament. Vessal, once again, filling numbers.

Your defence is good with Rio and Campbell, Neville was a huge blow and now with Brown in there, you might have to start worrying. Bridge, Cole and the others a inexperienced at International level and you would expect them to take at least a few games to get used to the huge occasion.

all those things i said are not diss the egnland team, its just stating things which might be harmful in england making it through the group games.

they have no experience at all, they are all young and this WC will give them experience at playing on such a big stage and not at winning.

the starting line up will be okay, depending who eriksson plays, but the squad as a whole wouldnt suggest that they could win anything.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts