Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the likes of John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Ledley King and to some extent Woodgate does England have more promising young Centre Backs than Italy? Don't ridicule me for asking this question because it is asked honestly. I am not saying that Terry or Ferdinand are better than Nesta or Cannavaro but rather asking are they better than the young Centre Backs we have produced.

Your thoughts and opinions please.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think something Faisal said about them all being thrown in at such ridiculous ages has helped them all come through. Many of our young CB's are not being given the chance (at least in Serie A). I can assure you that Terry at a young age was not so great, even King was a clumsy CB a couple of years ago. Ferdinand has always shown promise.

Look at Chiellini, he is a 19/20 year old left back who has been thrown in and he shows what he can do plus he will improve hopefully which can be scary. A player called Marzoratti of Milan and Masiello of Juve are very promising but with the teams they play for it is clear that they will only be in Serie B next year and possibly the year after that will be on the bench of a Serie A team etc. So by the time they are regular starters of their club team (which prob wont be Milan nor Juve) they will be like 22 or 23 already.

Anyway with teams needing young players (due to lack of money) I really hope that teams like Lazio, Parma (continue to) and even Roma give quality young players a chance which is what the latter 2 seem to be doing. Lazio are more insistent it seems on buying washed out players or cheap South Americans.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Well, as it looks like Cannavaro won't be a better player then an average one. Bonera might be a good player but that's it, nothing more. Potenza though can become a very good player I think. But our whole defence line sucks and we have the supposed italys next generation of defenders: Bovo,Potenza,Canna,Bonera, Ferronetti(?!)

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Canna IMO has never been the next generation of Italy defenders, Bovo though is... but he has sucked. Last year he had a great year with Lecce so maybe it is hard for him at Parma. Potenza and Bovo are the two Italy will hope to become good.

I think the problem with Parma is that they have no experience defender so its harder for 4 inexperienced and young defenders without any leadership ability as of yet.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
lol.... we in Udine have captain Lestani (1986) that on the youth team are doing great things since years and was called also for the Under 16 in past... i'm curious to see him play for the first team:dielaugh: ( so...never i guess...) :wallbang:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So we do have talented defenders perhaps not on the Nesta/Cannavaro level but good. Do you think that by these young defenders not playing regularly in Serie A or playing in the Seria B this will hurt Italy defence in the present and in the future?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think if defenders dont get full games until they are like 23 then it could be damaging for them unless they develop quick from that age onwards. Defender is one important position I think you need regular games at a young age to learn about the game and how to position yourselves etc. Being a defender sometimes mean you have to be smart upstairs which can only come from playing matches.

What Parma is doing is brave but I still think in the second half of the season Parma will come good and finish top half.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Well these players will do IF Italy has way better deffensive midfielders or if they suddenly decide to be an attacking side which will make them defend less(much like Brazil). Knowing that Italy sometimes plays with high risks I think these won't be enough for a great title.

Deano: I agree that maybe we're lacking some experience but still I mean, we have Frey as a goalkeeper and Bonera have been playing regular now for what, 3 years? You can say its enough I think. For the love of the game I REALLY REALLY hope that Italy will come out with some great defenders like always, otherwise its not even funny!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Bonera has always been over-rated somewhat even though he had a good olympics. This is Bovo's second year of Serie A football and myabe he is finding his feet because the bovo of Parma is not the Bovo of Lecce or Italy U21. Potenza is good and Cannavaro is not good enough for Italy.

Anyway Italy has more players than just for Parma. I think the best U21 comes in Chiellini and Mantovani but Mantovani is in B and soon needs to go to A to prove himself. I know Arianna you will say that B is just as good to prove yourself, but just read what Montolivo said and you understand.

·
Registered
46,341 Posts
Probably the last generation of Italian defenders has no champions, but who knows, maybe some decent ones come out in the end... my opinion is that you don't need a big talent to be a decent defender and, anyway, I don't see any new Baresi or Beckenbauer even abroad.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
To be honest you only need 3 Very good CB's and another 3 good ones to have a decent chance at winnign something. If Greece can win a tournament with Seitaridis, Dellas, Kapsis and Fyssas, Im sure Italy can do similar.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I never came out with it, Jose Mourinho did and I thought about it and agreed. Individually England has as good depth as any.

Now Im trying to be abit more honest, Before I might of defended SerieA or hyped any up and coming SerieA talent but still theres football talents all around the world that deserve praise. Not just in my favourite league :)

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Yes I agree. England has more talented center backs. But its simply b/c Italy has become a place for foreigners to test their skills at the expense of Italian youngsters who miss their opportunities.

·
Registered
626 Posts
England definitely have better more talented centrebacks than italy right now ...but i dunt think its only the cb's ....look at their attacking players ....for instance defoe,carlton cole,rooney,downing and wright-philips to name a few. They are given chance by their clubs since young which is good for their progress ....unlike in italy ...clubs that usually give chances are usually the ones in the bottom halves of the league ....gor example bojinov is good and his market price i dunt think is gonna cost half of what rooney costed man.u ...yet clubs like milan,inter and juve arent willing to buy him right now cost they wont give a youngster to play so soon ....so here comes clubs like barca,chelsea and arsenal who will sign him this season and let him play ...there goes a great talent from our league.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
England may or may not have better centrebacks but you can't say that about Italy's attacking prospects which are as good as I don't know when. Miccoli, Cassano, Gilraldino and many more. England has talent in there own but better we'll see and if it is better it is not like Italy has a shortage of attacking talent.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
italy has plenty of future in midfield and has good future in terms of forwards with cassano and gilardino. But the defence hasnt got a lot. Ferrari who is not young hasnt come through like most thought he would. Bonera and chiellini are decent, but they are a more full backs. As strange it it may seem, i think not only england have more future for centre backs, but many others do also.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Well two of the best 17 year olds in England are both Italian so :D (Rossi and Lupoli) I think we have attacking talent for the future and that is nto th ebiggest worry so far but the defence is if players arent to be given a fair shot.

Newcastle this weekend played Stuart Taylor an 18 year old Defender who I have seen when he was 15 and I think he is real quality, but the fact is he is given the chance. When will Marzoratti who is better than Taylor IMO play for Milan? (my belief is never) Yet Milan have no reason to play him because they have so many CB's and full backs but someone from Serie A could at least loan him because I really like that player :(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts