Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lippi also briefly spoke about Antonio Cassano, who has been hugely impressive recently for Sampdoria, but hasn't been called up to the Azzurri since Euro 2008.

"I am the one who decide and I don't need to give explanations," he commented. "No one has ever said that Cassano lacks the qualities to be a part of the group. The choices I make certainly aren't because of that."

-------------------------------------------------------

I know it's still very early in world cup qualifying, but one does have to wonder if Cassano really has a chance at winning over Lippi.

In Lippi's all matches since returning as Azzurri coach, Cassano has not been amongst the call ups for any of them. Even in that friendly match against Austria he chose to leave him at home. Instead he decided to rely on his older veterans, and take a chance on Gilardino, who at that time wasn't lighting Serie A on fire like has been over the past month.

The way I see it Lippi isn't sold on the idea of bringing in Cassano and is still weary of what his unpredictable attitude may do to team chemistry. I also see him looking to other alternatives these days also, such as Rossi and Pepe for example instead. The fact that Cassano is also on a club with very little supporting cast around him doesn't make matters any easier.

So can we honestly say that after two hard years of getting his career back on track and winning a spot on the NT, that Cassano will once again have to start at the bottom of the mountain and climb his way up once again?

Considering how stubborn and set in his ways Lippi is, I think that this mountain just may be as steep as ever before.

What's your opinion? Can't Cassano select under Lippi? or Don't we need Cassano anymore?

·
*the drum drum*
43,003 Posts
Cassano should remember Lippi's strained relationship with Baggio and be flattered by the whole ordeal.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Screw that moody mercenary, I hope Italy wins another WC with him watching on TV.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I think the reason that Lippi is not calling Cassano up might be because he wants to humble Cassano and show him that when he gets called up he has to make the best of the opportunity and continue to work hard, to continue to be called up instead of getting comfortable and maybe if it all comes to easy Lippi doesn't think the hunger will be there and he just wants Cassano to really want the NT, I dont know :D :confused:

Of course this is just a theory.........if its true though, hopefully it will be motivating him and not discouraging him

And yes, we need Cassano, IMO, he is our best forward, period

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
i want to add sth which it`s already known for ya. that cassano has the best abilities among current italian strikers in terms of dribbling defenders, passing impressively as any playmaker for his teammates and can score too while the rest are are only box players except Rossi to some extent. so, when the azzuri have a player like cassano, he `ll create many things upfront.

·
Registered
17,603 Posts
It's been proven you don't need the best team to win tournaments. You can win with tactical compactness and 1-2 good counters/game. I am guessing Lippi will not bring in the mental patient if he is confident he can win without him.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
we know that football does not depend on any player in particular, but if lippi and the azzuri don`t invest cassano in such level of him, then when shall they do?

you somtimes need to add a bit of beauty or entertaining on playing beside your tactics. ;)

·
Registered
46,104 Posts
I think Lippi isn't convinced that Cassano is all ego and hasn't grown up yet.

Jacquet left Cantona and Ginola out and had started a hugely successful era for France. Similarly, Lippi will want to go with those who work for the good of the team.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
well, nice to use catona and ginola as example, but don`t forget their was someone called zidane who cover them easily!

if lippi doesn`t convince in cassano`s abilities or doesn`t need him, then no need even to open a thread and talk about him joins the azzuri or not.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
If you look at Lippi's career as a coach, I feel that his one weakness was handling awkward characters like Cassano. Cassano is pure class and would provide any defence in the world problems but face the facts, he has caused trouble everywhere he has played, he is lazy and tempermental. These factors may make him too much a risk on team harmony for Lippi to take.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
isn`t there a kind of medical staff or psychologist to deal with his problems.. do big team have such things among their squad then get the best out of players.

·
Registered
46,104 Posts
well, nice to use catona and ginola as example, but don`t forget their was someone called zidane who cover them easily!

if lippi doesn`t convince in cassano`s abilities or doesn`t need him, then no need even to open a thread and talk about him joins the azzuri or not.
True, but my point was that Zidane really worked for the good of the team and that's why it worked. Same goes for Djorkaeff who became France's main source of goals.

I understand your implied point that there isn't a player quite like Cassano but there's Totti and Pirlo to create for the strikers. Different players and system though, I know.

isn`t there a kind of medical staff or psychologist to deal with his problems.. do big team have such things among their squad then get the best out of players.
Yes, I'm sure there's a go-to person at least. If you remember, Inter actually sent Adriano off for psycho-therapy and rehab, as it were. But it looks like Mourinho isn't convinced it really helped. :D Incidentally though, that's when Inter went on a huge winning streak and began to really dominate Serie A. That didn't really happen before when Adriano was just a passenger for a long time who didn't do anything. Maybe we can draw a parallel with what Lippi seems to be trying to accomplish. Adriano, thankfully, clearly failed Mancio's risk-benefit analysis test. I'm guessing Cassano's failing Lippi's test in the same way.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
True, but my point was that Zidane really worked for the good of the team and that's why it worked. Same goes for Djorkaeff who became France's main source of goals.

I understand your implied point that there isn't a player quite like Cassano but there's Totti and Pirlo to create for the strikers. Different players and system though, I know.
right, i would pick only pirlo now but he won`t do every thing on the midfield alone..i.e, to be the CM and to create for strikers too. Totti isn`t at top of his level, i don`t think he is a good solution for the azzuri this year. hope he `ll come back gradually.

cassano has been impressive this season so far.

Yes, I'm sure there's a go-to person at least. If you remember, Inter actually sent Adriano off for psycho-therapy and rehab, as it were. But it looks like Mourinho isn't convinced it really helped. :D Incidentally though, that's when Inter went on a huge winning streak and began to really dominate Serie A. That didn't really happen before when Adriano was just a passenger for a long time who didn't do anything. Maybe we can draw a parallel with what Lippi seems to be trying to accomplish. Adriano, thankfully, clearly failed Mancio's risk-benefit analysis test. I'm guessing Cassano's failing Lippi's test in the same way.

yea adriano was an example, but i think inter have many striker to cover him, different options who have the as his abilities, Crespo, Cruez..
cassano hasn`t made any problem since his arrive to sampdoria. the opposite is true, i think there is a great relations with teammates and fans too. he does well there. if he makes any troubles, then send him and look for the psycho-therapy, or drop him for ever!

·
Registered
46,104 Posts
cassano hasn`t made any problem since his arrive to sampdoria. the opposite is true, i think there is a great relations with teammates and fans too. he does well there. if he makes any troubles, then send him and look for the psycho-therapy, or drop him for ever!
Very good point :thumbsup: and I agree with you. Lippi should experiment with Cassano right now to see how he does.

The only downside I can see is that where Cassano goes, the Jinxmaster Overclass follows. I wonder if Lippi has factored that in. :D

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
Very good point :thumbsup: and I agree with you. Lippi should experiment with Cassano right now to see how he does.

The only downside I can see is that where Cassano goes, the Jinxmaster Overclass follows. I wonder if Lippi has factored that in. :D
i trust cassano will show his best when he is called up once again by lippi because he seems in good mood this season with sampdoria. i`m sure samp team staff do help too much this season to make him look interested to play for them and that has been proved during games. :)

as for Overclass, i wonder where has he been?
i know he is the azzuri and cassano`s fan. :pp

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
Too bad there wasn't a National team for having sex....I hear Cassano claims to have been with over 700 women in his new masterpiece of a book.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
he played only the 2nd half with samp against standard liegue last night in the uefa cup.. the lost 3-0.

the whole team was awful in this game and him too..

·
Registered
17,603 Posts
He's always going to be a distraction no matter how well he behaves. How well he does is just relative to previous behaviour.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts