Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody out there really cares about the FA's "respect the ref" campaign or do they just support it when rival teams are at the butt of some ludicrous refereeing yellows.

Do you really want to goto games and see players get sent off for mouthing or disagreeing with ref decisions? Yes there has to be an element of respect but surely respect is earned not forced. yes, players have a duty to set an example to children, but its adults that pay their wages.

Then theres the question. What should the FA clamp down on first? Awful career ending tackles or mouthing/disagreeing with ref?

Dont get me wrong, I wish players would shut their mouths and get on with the game, but this kind of behaviour is bred into players from an early age. I always thought prevention was better then cure, but in some cases it seems that differant cures every year are good enough.

One arguement against this is that its part and parcel of the game & what makes it worth talking about. Most games talking points come from incidents that shouldnt be happening (bad ref decisions, bad tackles, red cards, offsides, goal over line etc). Its not nice but it adds to the drama of the sport.

Afterall there are always decisions made in some games that are changed for English captains and the FA arent likely to change their stance on protecting their captains at all costs.:pp

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Referees do not have to earn respect, in the game, they are the law.

Do Police Officers have to earn your respect? Do judges in the courtroom?
Referees job is mainly to control the discipline in the game, not to stop the flow or force footballers into respecting them.

And if people respected the policeforce I think that Policeofficers jobs would be certainly easier. Why dont we all respect the law? Because we see us getting done for speeding and joe bloggs getting off for robbin/rape/killling on a technicality. Crimes v punishment. If I dont pay lets say a parking fine I eventually goto prison with real criminals. Its a similar problem in society thats in football. Lets deal with the small nitty gritty fishes and forget about the real problems (agents, bad tackles, high wages etc.).

Football players dont learn the basics of the game playing for EPL teams, they do it on the streets and in youth teams.

The best refs arent seen in games and adjudicate them in a manner that doesnt disrupt the sport. Giving yellow cards because players dont agree with their interpretation of the game is not a pressing issue in world football.

Yes, I am only saying this now because it was united that were ridiculously penalised for nothing incidents but when its your team you will feel differant (like chelski fans felt that Terrys red was correctly cancelled though everbody else knows it was a travesty and because he is england captain).

I also think the game couldve been better had he not been stop starting the game for everything. That kind of reffing encourages dives like ronaldos cause players know that refs will give frees and yellows way easier (if you gave an importantfree in a dangerous position of the pitch near the end of a close game, wouldnt you question the ref?).

Riley was a **** on sunday but supposedly followed the new rules to the letter of the law (so joyfully to uniteds rivals) BUT the FA by rescinding Terrys red card did more damage to their "respect the ref" campaign then anything united players did on sunday. They are hypcrites & incompetent to a fault, thats something that I think we can all agree on.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
I don't respect Police or Judges, so that doesn't apply to me. :D

Personally, I think they have too much power, not too little. This whole "respect" bollocks is nonsense, they are a shower of incompetents. If they did their jobs correctly, no one would even notice they were there. And the whole idea that you can pull a shirt or kick a player or dive and you MIGHT get a yellow, but if you bounce the ball after a decision or swear at a ref you WILL definitely get a card is ****ed up beyond measure. Little Hitlers, all of them. Maybe it's alright for these chumps to run around enjoying their power trips, but the players who are affected by their decisions are going to become emotional. From FIFA all the way down, the "rule" makers need to understand this.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Yes, I am only saying this now because it was united that were ridiculously penalised for nothing incidents but when its your team you will feel differant
Lol yes, because those of us who don't support United have no idea what it's like to have a decision go against us. :rollani:

Anyway I think the campaign is a good idea. It's very easy for you to say that's its more important to clamp down on career ending tackles (though I dunno why you think the two mutually exclusive) but disrespect towards referees is harming the game.

Where I play football locally, fixtures are cancelled or postponed every single week because there's a huge shortage of referees. People who've refereed 20/30 years, and previously enjoyed it, give it up because they don't need the abuse they get for a match fee of £10.

I'm only 21, but when I watch kids football today the little shites are so much disrespectful towards the referees and each other than I ever was, and that was only 10 years ago. And it happens because, for some unfathomable reason these kids idolise people like Wayne Rooney, and they hear constantly commentators and pundits condoning his obnoxious behaviour. Though I grant you the FA have also failed referees for allowing this to happen.

It is certainly an important issue though.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mutu thats my point. By the time footballers are going into the main arena they have learned most of their traits on the parks.

Youth team football and underage football needs to be over disciplined. I dont believe that youngsters see something on tv and just follow it. Afterall there has always been divers and players questioning ref decisions. Doesnt make it right but why do we associate continental footballers as being the main culprits of diving and cheating in games? Its not that they play a differnant game, they were cultured a differant way.

I think its a copout to say that rooney or drogba are there to be role models for youngsters. Its a mans game and an adult pastime that children are welcome to goto. Just like overage films are parental guidance so is football (what we hear on the stands at games is far worse then players slaggin off refs).

Im not saying players should be allowed abuse the ref, but this is not the way to stop it happening. Start from an early age, whats better, prevention or cure?

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Refereers are not perfect. They are placed there for continued-controversy. Either by their on-field errors or by their off-field ones (calciopoli etc).

Drama is actually good for the game.

·
Registered
45,385 Posts
True respect isn't the issue. The ref makes the calls and the players live with them.

If a ref receives too much abuse, then it's up to him to card the player. Players have been carded for dissent before and it's never surprising when talking a player gets carded for talking too much smack to the ref. The commentator on TV will then tell you that the player was stupid and should have shut up earlier.

If refs exercise their discretion in that manner more, then you won't have people mouthing off very often. Especially if the card proves costly in the long run which can make fans turn on the player.

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Ref cant find his yellow cards for liverpool today. He couldnt wait to book united players last week for nothing incidents but couldve booked 3 pool players for worse incidents (kicking ball away, bad tackles, cynical tackles). Yep he deserves to be respected!! fkn ****.
The thing man u get away with every week are unbelievable, when every use dont win use its always because of the ref, that how fvcking spoiled use are. If a everton fan complained ok, but a scum like you? get to fvck

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Ref cant find his yellow cards for liverpool today. He couldnt wait to book united players last week for nothing incidents but couldve booked 3 pool players for worse incidents (kicking ball away, bad tackles, cynical tackles). Yep he deserves to be respected!! fkn ****.
I call this, OWNED!

:D

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The thing man u get away with every week are unbelievable, when every use dont win use its always because of the ref, that how fvcking spoiled use are. If a everton fan complained ok, but a scum like you? get to fvck
Eh, united dont need to blame refs for losing points or not winning trophies (we are the double winning champs remember?).

So if an Everton fan complained you would agree, you are a tool.

Whats most enjoyable about this early season form of Liverpool is that its only building pool fans up for an even bigger fall. You wont be in the title race come april, leave the real clubs to battle for the gold!! :smileani:

Only hope pool have is that refs like reilly keep booking united players for nothing like he did at moscow bridge.....:pp

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Eh, united dont need to blame refs for losing points or not winning trophies (we are the double winning champs remember?).

So if an Everton fan complained you would agree, you are a tool.
Of course you don't need to blame them, they actually 'win' you points. ;)

Whats most enjoyable about this early season form of Liverpool is that its only building pool fans up for an even bigger fall. You wont be in the title race come april, leave the real clubs to battle for the gold!! :smileani:

Only hope pool have is that refs like reilly keep booking united players for nothing like he did at moscow bridge.....:pp
Someone's getting scared... our title challenge has got nothing to do with the point of this thread, so stop trolling.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of course you don't need to blame them, they actually 'win' you points. ;)

Someone's getting scared... our title challenge has got nothing to do with the point of this thread, so stop trolling.
Trolling? Says mr post "Id say that is owned". Dont throw stones in glasshouses my second rate rival . .

Im delighted pool are in a very similar position that they were in this time last season and united equally. We have been sht and havent even started playing yet we will only be 3 points behind pool after we win our game in hand (with 2 toughest away games out of the way). Yep, really scared . . .

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Trolling? Says mr post "Id say that is owned". Dont throw stones in glasshouses my second rate rival . .
Yeah trolling. I said owned because you kept blaming Riley (who I personally hate myself) for not handing us more yellows before United's game started, then comes Rob Styles in the spot light and obviously you don't have to say anything about it... thats what I call 'OWNED'.
So shut your mouth next time and be more patient.

Im delighted pool are in a very similar position that they were in this time last season and united equally. We have been sht and havent even started playing yet we will only be 3 points behind pool after we win our game in hand (with 2 toughest away games out of the way). Yep, really scared . . .
Now this is what I call trolling.

You'll win the treble and we'll get relegated, you're happy now?

·
JESTER OF SORTS
21,015 Posts
Question: Why do you create a thread where you feign interest in conversation, all the while having the proverbial fingers in the ears while shouting?

If you simply want to rant about something in a one sided manner, and then not ignore the counterpoints, please refrain from taking up space in the public areas of the forums, and write a blog about it.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah trolling. I said owned because you kept blaming Riley (who I personally hate myself) for not handing us more yellows before United's game started, then comes Rob Styles in the spot light and obviously you don't have to say anything about it... thats what I call 'OWNED'.
So shut your mouth next time and be more patient.

Now this is what I call trolling.

You'll win the treble and we'll get relegated, you're happy now?
Loada bollx. still dont know what "owned" has anything to do with the chelski ref performance. 1-1 was widely regarded as a fair result (except chelski and pool fans).

Comparing the same ref that dished out united yellows for nothing, with the same ref who let pool away with far more then united is a fair point. Once again it begs the question as to how refs expect to be respected when they are so pathetically inconsistent. And cahill got sent off for nothing.

When pool fans start coming into a post to have a pop at a united fan who has questioned a poor ref that cost them many a yellow card (and couldve been worse), I would call that trolling.

Or does it just apply to united fans . . .:nono::howler:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
If refs are having a shit game, they deserve all the criticism. they should listen more to footballers, who tell it to them straight :D their decisions can cost millions sometimes

1 - 20 of 29 Posts