Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is not the first time a thread about him is started but I'd like to know where I can find the episodes, in particular those with Tom Baker as the Doctor. And of course your opinion on Doctor Who.

·
International
9,526 Posts
I thought the best series were with Sylvestor McCoy. After the mishmash of story lines that happened with the previous doctor, I thought the series was going to end on a terrible note, but then McCoy came in and the storylines improved. The episodes became really dark and there was an underlying theme going on about the Doctor's true identity. And ofcourse Sophie Aldred as Ace was well fit! Remembrance of the Daleks, Silver Nemisis, and the Curse of Fenric....these were quality. Tom Baker was great too....he had that presence that a lot of the other Doctors never had (John Pertwee being the worst to assume the role in my opinion). Only McCoy matched him. They have started putting out DVDs of the episodes. You should check out www.gallifreyone.com they have a store on there were they list the DVDs you can buy. If you keep pressing the store button, it changes the list of DVDs on offer.

·
Registered
46,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the link, Fred. :thmbup:

I asked for Tom Baker's episodes cause they were the only episodes broadcasted here in Italy (and unfortunately dubbed... but at least the Italian dubbers are good). I liked them but now it's a long time since they were broadcasted and I'd like to see them again.

·
International
9,526 Posts
By the way Toni, there is a new series planned. Christopher Eccleston is going to be the new doctor, and Billie Piper is his assistant.

·
Registered
46,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Owzat said:
You can download some off kazaalite
I tried some time ago... but it was too slow. :stress:
I think I'll buy the DVDs.

Fred said:
By the way Toni, there is a new series planned. Christopher Eccleston is going to be the new doctor, and Billie Piper is his assistant.
I have seen it in the link you gave me but... it's so differet from the one I was used to (that with Tom Baker). I'm not sure I would appreciate this series. I could appreciate Billie Piper, but this is a different matter. :D

I watched some of the other doctors. I met one of them in "Hornblower" as Lt.Bush. :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Most of us "oldies" that grew up with Dr Who loved the series, it was a pity that the series hand over from Sylvestor McCoy to the 7th Doctor ( name escapes me who did the 2000 milinum episode ) never started which I thought would have been ideal.

I reckon what they need to do is a Big Movie to promote the new series. :thumbsup:

My favorite Dr - "All of them are charming fellows" :smileani:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The problem was the actors kept changing and after Colin Baker had his go and then McCoy it drifted. I heard the new series was set to start last year but never did. The doctor was only supposed to have 11 regenerations or something, not sure they can revive it now cause IMO it is way too late

For the record I think Peter Davidson was the pick, he had the best companions and as I recall K9 was featured most with him. Earthshock is probably my favourite episode ever, McCoy had some good plots and some lame ones. I think having Billie feckin' Piper in it has to be the pits.

And my favourite adversary has to be the Cybermen, so much more real enemies being sort of human and not wheelie bins (nothing wrong with the Daleks just prefer the cybermen) As in Star Trek for me the best enemy has to be the Borg, an enemy which is seemingly unbeatable and makes for seemingly no hope

·
International
9,526 Posts
McCoy did start off with some lame scripts, which was a hang over from the other Doctor before him (Colin Baker) who was really cursed with some terrible storylines. But then the script writing evolved, and by the end of the last series, I thought the writing was brilliant. I have to agree though....Billie Piper doesn't exactly bode well for the new series.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It was the fickleness of the BBC that kills off many decent Sci Fi series. They started to show Blake's Seven a year or two ago and I think they got to the end of Series 1 before stopping. They may as well show the old shows, it isn't like the BBC is non-stop brilliant programmes with any imagination. They may be dated but a lot of the old stuff is way better than the sh1te they produce now. END REALITY TV NOW, END FAME ACADEMY STYLE SHITE AND LOSE ALL THE AUCTION, BUY A HOUSE AND OTHER SAME OLD, SAME OLD TRIPE

Anyway did you see the programme about the death of Saturday night TV? I would say the standard dropped and the rubbish they put out eventually drove everyone out of the house. Sci Fi, gameshows and comedies were Saturday night, now it is endless garbage centred around the d1ckhead's tax....... I mean Lotto or whatever they call it

·
Registered
44,980 Posts
Well, take a seat and let me tell you about the next 007.

I haven't watched the latest Doctor Who but it's apparently tanked because the content of the show is about virtue signalling and lecturing the audience. On the other hand, approved critics love it and it's received a Golden Tomato (this is supposed to be a good thing, even if Rotten Tomatoes' reputation has tanked so much that people now look at it as the Bidone d'Oro).

Why don't you watch a couple of episodes and let us know? :sneaky:

Reactions: ToniSamp

·
Registered
46,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Lol, I missed the 007 thing. I must die and resuscitate when this SJW thing is over.
Unfortunately when this shit is over there will likely be something which is exactly the contrary, as an obvious reaction. This SJW thing is hypocritical crap, extremely annoying but hardly dangerous. The reaction to it instead... well, I'm not sure I'd like to live it at all!

·
Registered
41,681 Posts
You can't say that anymore.

I guess Toni will be banned after replying to the halfmen

Personally. I can't wait to see Romeo and Juliet being played by 2 black trans people with disabilities.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts