Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm not complaining, but come to think of it, it's been a long time since La Liga has been such a bore. Real Madrid are in a mess, Valencia have been tinkered and Deportivo look like a shadow of what they used to be. Do you think Barcelona are that superior, or are the other teams not just good enough? I think it's a combination of both. The poor showing by La Liga teams in the Champions' League is another factor to consider.

Your views?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I think La Liga is as strong as always and that's why Real Madrid, Valencia and mainly Depor are struggling. The difference on the table is fair.

Hristo Stoichkov said:
"What infuriates me a lot is that the press are now claiming that the league is not as strong this season, but when Valencia, Madrid or Deportivo were champions they said it was the best league in the world.

"Nobody doubts that when Valencia won it, the league was strong and when Madrid did so it was one of the best leagues, but this year I think Madrid could struggle to make it into the Uefa Cup."

-> http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=246844&lid=10&cpid=23&title=Stoichkov+swipes+at+Madrid&channel=Spain
A Legend spoke. I totally agree with you, Hristo.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
stoichkov said in an interview:

"What infuriates me a lot is that the press are now claiming that the league is not as strong this season, but when Valencia, Madrid or Deportivo were champions they said it was the best league in the world.

and i agree with him completely!! :thmbup:

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
Some RM fan on another forum claimed we were lucky because everyone else was doing worse than they normally would. All I had to say to that dumb remark was that Real Madrid must have been lucky for the last six years since we were doing poorly. Some people are just stupid.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Well, Barça is breaking records this season, so we have this big gap for our own work. It's true that Real Madrid, Valencia and, especially, Deportivo are far from their old form, but I'm not sure that this is because the overall level has dropped. I just think that there is a transition. You talk about the CL and the Spanish performances in this competition. On the other hand, the Spanish clubs are dominating the UEFA Cup and I think that it shows that La Liga has a great "middle class" and I think that it's better to messure the overall level of a league is better to see how is the "middle class" rather than only the top teams.

Besides, the strength of Barcelona adds more pressure to the rivals. If Barcelona does great, Real Madrid is in crisis and viceversa. Valencia is not doing that bad, they're like Depor last year and the galegos fought for the title until the end. Deportivo is definitely in a bad moment, but there're other "Depor's": Sevilla, Betis and Espanyol.

Barça is very strong until now and maybe it's true that the top teams of the last 4 years are not responding as they used to, but I wouldn't say that the standard of La Liga has dropped.

Last season at the same point:
1st Real Madrid - 39 points
2nd Valencia - 37 points
3rd Deportivo - 33 points
9th Barcelona - 24 points

Now:
1st Barcelona - 42 points
2nd Valencia - 32 points
5th Real Madrid - 29 points (30 points if they draw against RS)
13th Deportivo - 22 points

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Liga is as strong as always

Greats teams are here, Barça is amazing no doubt, but they have players to play good football. They did a great 1st half, let's see the the 2nd one. Valencia is going stronger,and it could be a great challenge against the vice champion. Real is playing well at home but it's irregular, but they can skyrocket the 2nd half, do not desetimate them !

The only team which we don't understand a lot is A Coruña, which used to play so strangely ! They never be like that , they didn't change any key players !

And smaller teams as we could named, Sevilla, At. madrid, Ath. Bilbao is making surprise every week , showing they're here and strong to fight

Liga is alays a show with many goals and we love it !

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
1,944 Posts
I agree with K4. Just because the traditionally top-tiered teams are not doing as well this season does not mean that the overall quality of La Liga has decreased. Think about the teams like Espanyol, Sevilla, Betis, Osasuna, Athletico Madrid or Athletic. These teams are doing a tremendous job so far this season, and to me, it shows that the Liga is more competitive throughout all the teams, instead of just the "top 4" clubs.

Hristo's quote has some validity as well. Maybe it's just the fact that we're 10 points clear. People are seeing the league table and saying to themselves "Wow, look how poorly RM and Valencia are doing" instead of "Wow, Barca has been totally dominating". That kind of attitude definitely will lead to people jumping to conclusions that the Liga is sucking it up this season.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
I think the standard of Real Madrid and Deportivo has dropped slighty, but the emergence of Sevilla, Espanyol and Betis has ensured that la liga remains as competitive as ever. What people need to understand is that la liga is not only about the big four teams, you know. It has other fantastic teams that are tough to beat at their ground (such as Bilbao, Atletico Madrid, Espanyol, Osasuna, Betis, Sevilla.)

Why should we discredit Barcelona, who have been playing some of the best football we've seen for years in la liga, just because Real Madrid can't get their shit together?

Anyway, Real Madrid have 30 points (most probably 30 points after the RS game)- only 7 less than at this stage last season. It's not like we are relegation material. :rolleyes:

In Italy, 24 points is enough to get you a top six place (Sampdoria) but in Spain, 24 points is barely enough to get into the top ten (Atletico). I think that shows the overall strength of this league, in my opinion it is still the toughest league to win in Europe because you never know where you can drop points (Barca even scrapped wins at lowly Getafe and Albacete) whereas in England and Italy, some games are foregone conclusions before they even kick off.

So to conclude, no, the standard of la liga has not dropped. It's just that Barca have been that damn good.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
The quality of competition has definetly improved if we're talking a 10 year gap. The proof in that is the only years a club has won the league twice was bar$a in 97/98 and 98/99 (I might be wrong on this). After that it has changed every year. To put things into perspective, we've had teams like Alaves who made the UEFA Cup final, and Celta in the CL. Both those clubs are in second division right now because of the amount of competetion. There aren't too many other leagues that can say that.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Barça_Fan said:
Hey, I'm not complaining, but come to think of it, it's been a long time since La Liga has been such a bore. Real Madrid are in a mess, Valencia have been tinkered and Deportivo look like a shadow of what they used to be. Do you think Barcelona are that superior, or are the other teams not just good enough? I think it's a combination of both. The poor showing by La Liga teams in the Champions' League is another factor to consider.

Your views?
I agree with your view: the league is weaker than in previous years regarding the top 4 positions. RM are worse, Valencia are worse and Deportivo are much worse. Only Barcelona have improved. No wonder than only two of those teams qualified for the next stage of the CH L, and the two that got eliminated were not in what you could describe as "groups of death". Even RM would have qualified with a few games to spare in previous years instead than having to win away in the last game. On the other hand I think that some countries, are getting better, especially Italy and England. I am not sure that the Spanish League is the best anymore, probably is not.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
I think the standard of Real Madrid and Deportivo has dropped slighty, but the emergence of Sevilla, Espanyol and Betis has ensured that la liga remains as competitive as ever. .
Slightly? I wouldn't use that word. On the other hand the improvement of Espanyol, Sevilla and Betis will not compensate for the downfall of those two (may I add Valencia too). Those 3 newcomers are miles behind the level that RM, Deportivo and Valencia showed in the past. If any of those teams qualify for the CH L we will se how well they will fair. On the other hand, Valencia Deportivo and RM were sure bets for the quarterfinals or eightfinals in the past.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
I couldn't care less if the standard HAS dropped. We are top, which is all that matters. If the other teams are temporarily weakened, then we need to take advantage of that by winning the league.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I don't think that the league has has dropped standard but just that the four top teams has lost there domination in spanish fotball a bit, but they are still the bosses hehe.Now you can see more teams climbing on the league table and IMO that's just good.And I don't think the spanish league will ever lose standard (not for a long time atleast) because it's just so many good teams, players, foreigners etc:)

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
The standard has dropped... the CL results are there for all to see. And why else would Barca be leading the league by so many points? ;) :D

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
Over the years IMO all the leagues in Europe the standards have dropped because about 3 teams in each country have lots more than all the other teams and there is 17 other teams who have less money and cant compete at the level, untill some more teams get money the standards will always be low

1 - 20 of 24 Posts